Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Horns Discuss Jupiter 846RL in the Equipment forums; Does anyone have experience with this particular flugelhorn from Jupiter? In particular I am wondering about the sound character and ...
    Mezzo Forte User Trumpet Dreamer's Avatar

Jupiter 846RL

Does anyone have experience with this particular flugelhorn from Jupiter? In particular I am wondering about the sound character and build quality. A used model manufactured in 2007 is being considered for purchase and unfortunately, I can't play before pay!

Re: Jupiter 846RL

As you can see in my signature, I own a 846S, the silver plated version of the 846. I'm taking an educated guess here, but with the rose brass lacquer model, I think you'll get a little warmer, mellower sound than mine or the standard 846. From all I've been reading, a lot of players really like the rose brass models of flugelhorns, including Yamaha's, Kanstul's, and even Dillion's inexpensive but reportedly very playable and nice sounding flugel for under $500(?); recommended by a respected pro who visits another trumpet website and possibly this one.
    Last edited by Bruin; 09-20-2010 at 11:12 PM.
    1964 Conn Connstellation 38B
    Kanstul KTR-700S
    Jupiter 846S flugelhorn
    Charles Colin Pocket Max trumpet

I own a Jupiter flugel and it is in a word, awesome. Mine is brass lacquer and it is the mellowest flugel I've played. A guy in a swing band I frequent played it and was blown away by it's tone and intonation. His flugel is a Stomvi copper bell and the Jupiter was still darker! That's why it regularly makes top ten lists with horns costing 1000's more. One reviewer commented that, "It sounds better than it has a right to". Valve action is buttery smooth and quick. Hard to go wrong for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by tobylou8 View Post
    I own a Jupiter flugel and it is in a word, awesome. Mine is brass lacquer and it is the mellowest flugel I've played. A guy in a swing band I frequent played it and was blown away by it's tone and intonation. His flugel is a Stomvi copper bell and the Jupiter was still darker! That's why it regularly makes top ten lists with horns costing 1000's more. One reviewer commented that, "It sounds better than it has a right to". Valve action is buttery smooth and quick. Hard to go wrong for the money.
    The last Jupiter 846 flugel I played was terrible. Had they reduced the cost I wouldn't have bought it - it was that bad. I could have definitely gone wrong for the money.

If it's all you have the money for, maybe, but played side by side with the Yamaha 631, which it supposedly copies, it was awful, and neither one was as good as the Kanstul 925 I ended up buying.

Having said that, I've owned my Kanstul flugel for quite a while (bought in 2002 or 2003, can't remember off hand) and Jupiter has come a long way as an instrument maker since that time, so it might be worth looking at. Whatever you do, make sure you can send it back if you do order it and don't like it.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

My 846 was made in 2005, so they obviously made some improvements.

That, or you got lucky and got a good one. Sometimes someone will get an inexpensive horn that just plays, and sometimes someone will get something like a Bach Strad that is a real clinker and play pretty poorly.

Maybe it was a combination of both - Jupiter has definitely made some improvements in the last several years, and you might have gotten a sweet one too.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    That, or you got lucky and got a good one. Sometimes someone will get an inexpensive horn that just plays, and sometimes someone will get something like a Bach Strad that is a real clinker and play pretty poorly.

Maybe it was a combination of both - Jupiter has definitely made some improvements in the last several years, and you might have gotten a sweet one too.
    Honestly, my dad picked it out when his flugel was having the valves redone ( monel to nickel). He didn't need two so I bought it when his came back. I had to pull the "I'm your son routine" so he wouldn't sell it to anyone else.

So the years '05 and later are good years? The horn in question has a 2005 manufacture date. I do know that lately the QC from Jupiter in their Taiwan plant has greatly improved, and this is where the 846 is made.

I was told by Jupiter that "at the turn of the century," they retooled and primarily improved their pistons, but are in essentially a continuous product improvement" mode. My 846S's serial number starts with the letter "E" which is 2003, "D" is 2002, and "C" is 2001 which is the year I've read elsewhere was when the retooling occurred. However, based on what Jupiter told me, "B" could be included as the "improved pistons" models?

So, Jupiter's serial numbers correspond to these manufacturing years:

C = 2001
    D = 2002
    E = 2003
    F = 2004
    G = 2005
    H = 2006
    J = 2007 (note that the letter "i" was skipped to not confuse with the number "1")
    K = 2008
    L = 2009
    M = 2010, etc.

My horn plays and sounds very nice. I have no problems with its pistons, or anything for that matter. It's a keeper, and I really don't need anything else or more expensive for my purposes.
    1964 Conn Connstellation 38B
    Kanstul KTR-700S
    Jupiter 846S flugelhorn
    Charles Colin Pocket Max trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by Bruin View Post
    I was told by Jupiter that "at the turn of the century," they retooled and primarily improved their pistons, but are in essentially a continuous product improvement" mode. My 846S's serial number starts with the letter "E" which is 2003, "D" is 2002, and "C" is 2001 which is the year I've read elsewhere was when the retooling occurred. However, based on what Jupiter told me, "B" could be included as the "improved pistons" models?

So, Jupiter's serial numbers correspond to these manufacturing years:

C = 2001
    D = 2002
    E = 2003
    F = 2004
    G = 2005
    H = 2006
    J = 2007 (note that the letter "i" was skipped to not confuse with the number "1")
    K = 2008
    L = 2009
    M = 2010, etc.
    Thanks for all the info!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information