Horns Discuss Jupiter Flugelhorns in the Equipment forums; Has anyone here had an opportunity to play a Jupiter pro-model flugelhorn, such as the 1646 XO Professional, or perhaps ...
    Mezzo Forte User Trumpet Dreamer's Avatar

Jupiter Flugelhorns

Has anyone here had an opportunity to play a Jupiter pro-model flugelhorn, such as the 1646 XO Professional, or perhaps the 1246 Artist model? I have a JFH 846RS which is a fine horn. Feels good in my hands, great tone as long as you employ the proper mouthpiece (a deeeeeep one) and overall is nice for the price.

How much of a real step up in playability, tone and overall quality would be realized by going with the XO Pro horn?
    Getzen "Mike Vax" 3001MV Trumpet
    Kanstul - Besson International Trumpet
    Yamaha YTR-2335S Totally "Pimped" (Oh, Yes!)
    Custom CarolBrass CTR-5204L-RLM
    Carol Brass Pocket Trumpet
    Jupiter JFH-846RS Flugelhorn

Re: Jupiter Flugelhorns

If you played it enough to justify the cost, and it's better, you might consider it. I tested an 846 vs. a Stomvi Elite and bought the 846.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Quote Originally Posted by tobylou8 View Post
    If you played it enough to justify the cost, and it's better, you might consider it. I tested an 846 vs. a Stomvi Elite and bought the 846.
    The 846 as you already know is a fine horn. Perhaps better than it should be for the price. But my teacher's 1525 just blew me away with it's honey drippin' sweet and lush tone. Yes, my teacher is one of the best players that I have ever heard, but at least part of the tone quality is a result of the Kanstul.

And I have been trying to achieve that same tone quality on my JFH. The right mouthpiece helps...using a Flip Oakes WT 3X, and a Denis Wick 4FL. Both of these are very nice. Just thinking that since the 846 is this good, perhaps the XO model would be that much better. But I have never played one (never even seen one) so I do not know.

I use a Stork Vacchiano 1FLS makes the horn sweet as it can be. The Jupiter mpc is nothing special. If you do see/play one, let me know your thoughts.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Quote Originally Posted by tobylou8 View Post
    I use a Stork Vacchiano 1FLS makes the horn sweet as it can be. The Jupiter mpc is nothing special. If you do see/play one, let me know your thoughts.
    You are right about that! The stock Jupiter mouthpiece makes the horn sound just like a trumpet. Funny thing...if I put my DW WT 3X flugelhorn mouthpiece in my trumpet, it sounds almost like a flugelhorn, and when placing a trumpet mouthpiece in my flugel, it sounds like a trumpet.

Makes me wonder if anyone has a flugel type mouthpiece with a trumpet shank?

If I try anything, you'll be the first to know!

I like the JFH 846RS, I have one as well. It is a fine horn for the price, and plays well. It will do for any normal playing situation as a doubler.

Take your time to find the next one. Play as many as you can, and you are right, the mouthpiece makes a huge difference to the sound. Use the same mpce when making comparisons.

I have not played the Pro-line Jups, so cannot answer your question.
    Peter
    Schagerl - Killer Queen Flugel
    Schagerl - James Morrison
    Schlub - Dingo Trumpet (The Wildest)
    Jaeger Diamond
    Olds - Clark Terry Flugel
    Olds - Recording Trumpet
    Taylor Chicago 46 Magnum Max
    Martin Committee & a few others

New Friend

I have a 1646 XO with the rose bell and silver finish. Prior to buying it, I spent an afternoon at Washington Music Center playing every flugelhorn they had and also some trumpets. I tried the 1525, 1246, Yamaha 3510 and 631. The horn that I sounded the best on was the 1646 XO with the 1246 being next. I am not sure about the negative comments on the jupiter mouthpieces, I like the mouthpiece that came with the 1646 (Jupiter 7c F) just fine and I have tired others but I haven't found anything that sounds better. I didn't play an 846 so I can't make a comparison, but I like the 1246 just fine and would have been happy with it but I got a better deal on the 1646. My 1646 is much easier to play than my trumpet and I love the sound that comes out of it. The best trumpet I played while at WMC was a Tony Scodwell remake of a Selmer balanced model, for me it is the best trumpet I have ever had to my lips, I also tried a 1941 original balanced model and it was also a great playing horn, but as a plug for Tony, his Selmer Balanced remake is the only horn I have played that I actually considered buying to replace my current horn, great job Tony.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by jgambill; 12-21-2011 at 08:21 AM.
    jgambill

Sonare 800 Bb Trumpet
    Jupiter 1646RS XO Flugelhorn

Thread Information