Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Horns Discuss Jupiter JTR-1600I in the Equipment forums; Has anyone tried this model Jupiter trumpet? One of the local music stores dropped one off for me to test ...
    Mezzo Piano User

Jupiter JTR-1600I

Has anyone tried this model Jupiter trumpet? One of the local music stores dropped one off for me to test drive for the week. It's a .453 bore jazz horn designed by Roger Ingrahm. Fit and finish look good, comes with two tuning slides (both reversed style) and an assortment of valve caps. It's about as heavy as my Bach Strad. My initial impression is that it is easy to play while relaxed and has a tighter, more compact sound than my Bach 43. I'll take it to school tomorrow and have some of my students play it so I can hear how it sounds from a distance.

Re: Jupiter JTR-1600I

It is not designed by Mr. Ingram. Jupiter designed it and Mr. Ingram gave his name for it. Sometimes instruments are designed in collaberation with an artist. That means they play the horn and comment on what it does, which could possibly lead to the next changes.

A player would have to essentially be an engineer to "design" a horn.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Mezzo Piano User

I knew that! Besides that, how's the horn? Has anyone tried one yet?

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    It is not designed by Mr. Ingram. Jupiter designed it and Mr. Ingram gave his name for it. Sometimes instruments are designed in collaberation with an artist. That means they play the horn and comment on what it does, which could possibly lead to the next changes.

A player would have to essentially be an engineer to "design" a horn.

According to Roger he worked closely with the Jupiter design team as they developed the horn to his "specifications". So perhaps instead of them building a horn and saying "Here, blow this and let us know what you think", maybe he gave them everything HE wanted in a horn and they had to try to create it?

You're probably right that he's not an engineer, but the way Roger describes the process it seems like there was more to it than just giving his name to something Jupiter put in front of him.

Mezzo Piano User

So, has anyone played this horn yet?

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    So, has anyone played this horn yet?
    Do a forum search for 1600I and you should find a few threads about it. Here's a recent one:

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139...00i-56869.html (Jupiter 1600I)

For what it's worth I played on a lacquered 1600I for about 10 minutes last summer and was impressed. I knew it was a medium bore so I was mentally prepared for it to feel "tight" but it wasn't. To me it seemed a tad brighter than my Bach 37, but slotting, intonnation, etc were all very good.

As a side note, the horn I played was actually Roger's. I took a lesson from him and asked if I could play it when we were done. He was playing the lacquered one at the time but he had a silver one with him as well. He said the one he plays is the same as the one's off the production line, so it's not like he's pitching something he doesn't use himself.

Mezzo Piano User

Thanks gdbeamer. That was my first impression also as compared to my Bach. I have the lacquered version to try for the week.

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    Thanks gdbeamer. That was my first impression also as compared to my Bach. I have the lacquered version to try for the week.
    Sounds like a great music store. Letting you have one for a week sounds like a perfect way to really "test" a new trumpet against your existing one.

Good luck.

Mezzo Piano User

It is a good music store. They give me horns to try out because other teachers in the area value my opinions. Central New York is primarily a Bach Strad and then Yamaha area for students' first pro horns. Jupiter and Eastman horns are trying to work their way into this area.

Pianissimo User

I own one and absolutely love it. I also thought since it was a medium bore horn that it might be a bit tight, but it surprisingly wasn't. Out of all the trumpets I've tried (admittedly not near as many as I'd like, but still quite a few) it is really the best horn for me, and definitely a great value considering its lower price tag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information