Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Horns Discuss Jupiter with stainless steel valves? in the Equipment forums; I heard a rumor today that Jupiter was going to start putting stainless steel valves in their trumpets. The Jupiter ...

Jupiter with stainless steel valves?

I heard a rumor today that Jupiter was going to start putting stainless steel valves in their trumpets. The Jupiter trumpets in my beginner band play as well as many pro horns. With the addition of stainless valves they will be an incredible value.
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

Forte User
    Jumping Jupiters!! Stainless Steel valves!

This should provide increased sales....especially if they put them in brass valve blocks.

Now if Jupiter can jump the status quo with stainless steel valves, they could also introduce the first valve block that does not have to be oiled but rather have an oil change like a car. It would have a circulating oil system that would circulate every time you push the valves down.....it's too early to think about oil filters now guys. Then when that gets to be too tiring for the fingers, they will have a hydraulic valve action and when that gets to be too heavy for the arms, there will be trumpet posts that you can attach to your belt and chair. Of course we can not leave out the electric/battery operated tuning slide that will automatically adjust to any note so as to make for perfect pitch trumpeting. Maybe this feature will be for the Saturn or Venus model trumpets. WHEW!!

Liad

MJ
    Administrator Fortissimo User MJ's Avatar
    I have heard Jupiter is now about where Yamaha was 10 years ago. I'm told the horns are very good and the price is excellent. I've never tried one. But I keep hearing they are a good value and play well.

Stainless steel valves? Could be a good OR a bad.

I know that stainless threads stick *MUCH* worse than brass. Also, valve oil will LOOSEN the threads, but if left, stainless will stick, and NEVER EVER come unglued.

Oh, and in any case involving stainless vs. brass, the stainless will win hands down. I can see situations arising where the stainless valves could warp the valve casing, or something just as bad.

...And stainless is VERY heavy, what kind of springs will they be using?!?

Van

Quote Originally Posted by Heavens2kadonka View Post
    Stainless steel valves? Could be a good OR a bad.

I know that stainless threads stick *MUCH* worse than brass. Also, valve oil will LOOSEN the threads, but if left, stainless will stick, and NEVER EVER come unglued.

Oh, and in any case involving stainless vs. brass, the stainless will win hands down. I can see situations arising where the stainless valves could warp the valve casing, or something just as bad.

...And stainless is VERY heavy, what kind of springs will they be using?!?

Van
    "And stainless is VERY heavy, what kind of springs will they be using?!?"

Stainless springs?Maybe? LOL

My Eclipse has stainless steel Bauerfind valves and they are by far the best valves I have ever played. Brett Getzen is supposed to be doing some testing involving stainless steel valves. I'd like to see the results. As far as the stainless valves warping the brass casing, nickel is VERY much harder than brass and that isn't a problem. In my opinion, manufacturers made a big mistake when they went to monel. I don't think I've ever seen a monel valve as good as a nickel valve. I've played Bachs and Yamahas in the last 20 years and didn't care for any of the valves as much as my old Getzen and my new Eclipse. (see thread, "why are there so many bad valves now days")
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

"In my opinion, manufacturers made a big mistake when they went to monel. I don't think I've ever seen a monel valve as good as a nickel valve."

I couldn't agree more with that statement. I haven't had the chance to start the stainless steel test yet. One concern I have heard from several people in know is that the liners in stainless steel pistons may be a cause for concern. Apparently, they are just press fit into the piston body rather than brazed in. If the fit is not just right or as wearing occurs, the liners may become loose and this could cause a whole list of problems.

That being said, I think Bauerfiend valves are almost as good as ours. Almost.

Brett Getzen

Hey, I forgot about Bauerfeind using stainless!

I also realize that there are different qualities, hardness of stainless. I immediately thought of surgical grade!

...I'm still waiting for the day I see a stainless leadpipe.

Van

Fortissimo User
    I won't disagree that stainless valves are great... I have an Eclipse and a Getzen cornet to prove that point. But I wouldn't be so quick to condemn Monel neither.... my B1 valves prove that it (Monel) CAN be a darn good valve also.

the key to quick valves is not necessarily the material. Keeping them clean and properly oiled is important. I have had the best results with cleaning them, waiting until they are bone dry, oil both surfaces, reassemble. Oil floats on water, getting an oil/metal bond is very important.
    The best valves that I have ever had are on my Selmer Radial 2 degrees D/Eb trumpet. It is over 30 years old, has been played ALOT and shows very little sign of wear. I have no idea what they are made of. The angle of the valves in relation to how we push them down is much better.
    How does stainless shrink/expand due to temperature compared to brass? Will these valves work with tight tolerances in a very cold church setting? During my time in the Army, the Schilke players had grief outdoors in the cold with sticking valves.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information