Horns Discuss JZ Bb and Eastman C in the Equipment forums; I have had a JZ Bb and an Eastman C for about two weeks to check out for some students. ...
    Mezzo Piano User

JZ Bb and Eastman C

I have had a JZ Bb and an Eastman C for about two weeks to check out for some students. My thoughts:

JZ Bb - The first impression was surprising. This horn has a very nice tone color with a good deal of resonance. However the more I played this horn the more its true self was revealed.
    Construction - another Bach copy visually. Looks like a red brass lead pipe. The valves seem a bit higher than usual. Over all seems solid with some slight issues with the bracing being not totally finished and totally connected. The valves are HORRIBLE. Heavy springs and each valve feel different.
    Intonation - Not bad, the usual issues with the top space E and 1 and 2 combinations being sharp.
    Feel - Not real good but ok. This instrument specifically was harder to play than most horns. Feels like blowing against something and has some stuffyness.
    Tone - Like I said above the tone is pretty good and holds itself throughout the range of the instrument.
    Overall - I would not reccomedn this instrument to a student.

Eastman C - This one surprised me. First impression was good, a nice silver plate finish, everything moving great. The first thing I would change is the case, very cheap.
    Construction - seems well made, looks a lot like one of the new Schilkes Cs. Well balanced and visually nice. Valves are very nice.
    Intonation - Actually pretty good. Normal Flat E but not to bad. Overall just as good as other C horns. What I really liked is I didnt have to do as much work to make this horn play in tune.
    Feel - Very lively. Notes locked in small "slots". A nice ease of playing. When puched it did back up a little but not to much. Feel did hold throughout the range.
    Tone - A lighter sound, not sure I would put this horn in the back of large orchestra but would be fine as a solo instrument or small group. The tone did hold throughout and stayed nice and even.
    Overall - this is a much better horn than it is given credit for. It isnt going to give high end C's any competition but would be a great first C for a student or for someone who just needs one for Sunday morning services. At about 800.00 not bad.

Hope this helps, see ya.
    TD

Re: JZ Bb and Eastman C

Miles71,

Thanks for that detailed description of the Eastman C trumpet. I've had my Eastman 420g Bb trumpet now for more than six months and it still impresses. I had been curious about the C trumpet.

Your description would also be good for the 420g .... especially the small slots and ease of playing. Nothing I own (including the Getzen) slots as well or sounds as perfectly in tune all the time. Because the intonation is so good, I was hoping the C would be also, since I've heard that C trumpets can be a little wonky that way.

As for the "lighter sound" for an orchestra ..... Exactly the same for the 420. Very very pretty sound but thinner and lighter than my teacher's Mt. Vernon Bach.

Btw, where did you find it for $800?

Turtle
    Last edited by turtlejimmy; 12-24-2010 at 08:50 AM.
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

www.soundcloud.com/turtlejimmy
    2011 Carol Brass 658 RT trumpet
    1924 CONN Tenor Sax

Mezzo Piano User

Stus Music in Westminster Md 1800 908 7585 Talk to Larry, one of the best guys around.

TD

...... and Merry Christmas!

Turtle
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

www.soundcloud.com/turtlejimmy
    2011 Carol Brass 658 RT trumpet
    1924 CONN Tenor Sax

Thread Information