Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Horns Discuss Kanstul 1500 in the Equipment forums; Just wanted to let you know that a friend of mine that plays trumpet in the Community Band bought the ...
    Pianissimo User

Kanstul 1500

Just wanted to let you know that a friend of mine that plays trumpet in the Community Band bought the 1500 Model after trying several models and different brands of horns.

He likes it because of the sound and the centered sound he gets on the horn. He finds it easy to play and likes it better then his other main horn a Bach 72*. The only complaint he has is the valves which he is breaking in. They are already much better. He brought it with to the last rehearsal and I played it. It played great. I have always liked the sound of the 1500. The copper bell gives it a warm, dark sound with a lot of projection. He has no trouble blending with the rest of section. A nice horn.

Mike
    It's the sound that makes the difference!

New Friend
    Did he compare it to any of the other Signature Series horns?

Thanks

WFUnix

Pianissimo User
    Yes he did! He spent some time making a decision - trying different models. Gerry is a pretty strong player and he had owned (and still does) his previous horn over 15 years. It was a Bach 72*. He wanted something that was a little different. It plays very nicely and blends well with our community band and the trumpet ensemble. A very centered, warm sound.

I have always thought that since I played it about 6 or 7 years ago that it was Kanstuls best horn. I have tried every model and owned a Chicago. I was always worried about blending but after playing Gerry's and hearing him in the group I see it fits just fine.

I was at Capitol Music in Montgomery, AL (the closest Kanstul Dealer to Atlanta) and was quite a few horns - focusing mainly on the Bergeron model. However, at the end of the day I thought the newest 1500 was the best horn Jim Darby had in stock. This was comparing it to other Kanstul horns, a couple of Bach strads, some New French Bessons, Sandoval LeBlanc and a Schilke B5. Maybe one of these days I'll get one.

Mike

New Friend
    Thanks, Mike - this summer I will be in Maryland for a wedding - I'm going to have to stop at Chuck Levin's and try some of the Kanstul's -

You mentioned Darby's "newest 1500" - are you saying the new ones play better than the older models?

Thanks

WFUnix

Pianissimo User
    No, it is a matter of preferences. You know you can play the same make of horn and you'll find one that just plays better for you. He had one he had gotten before christmas which I really liked and the one he had gotten about a month ago for a show. I actually took it out of the packaging. I feel in love with the horn and then he got in some Bergeron models - including the brushed brass finish which I loved. I didn't decide to buy one right away because I want to find a horn that I can keep for a while. So, I tried it the last two times down as well.

I think the 1500 is the best fit for me. Of course, I have been in love with that model for a long time. now. Well, actually I went ahead and bought the 1500. I always thought that the copper bell would make it harder to play and manipulate. I was wrong. It is one of the easiest horns to play that I have ever played.

Mike

New Friend
    Hey Mike,

Sorry for the delayed review. I saw your post over on TH, and I thought I'd chime in. I just picked up a 1500, but (if you remember), I got the bronze bell. I played the 1500 with the copper bell and the sound was spectacular. I had a bit of a hard time with the horn (similar to what you were concerned about in your last post), but that has ENTIRELY to do with my current ability. I found the bronze bell a bit easier for me. I'd have to say I like the sound with the copper bell a bit better...I guess it's all about give and take. Either way though, what a great horn you picked up! Any thoughts after you've had it for a bit? By the way, is yours silver plated?

-jc
    I have yet to experience a moment of clarity.

New Friend
    I played a 1500 tonight for the first time - what a sound! It had such a dark and full presence. Projection was excellent. I felt that as I went into the upper register I had to work harder than I do on my Schilke B2L. The owner of the horn suggested that it might be me and not the horn - that since I'm used to working harder as I go into the upper register I was doing my old habits on the 1500. He said that he felt the same way after many years on his Strad, but now he sounds very solid in the upper register.

For the 1500 owners, did it feel like you had to work harder in the upper register at first? Did this go away as you got used to the horn? I didn't get to play the trumpet as long as I would have liked. This summer I will be visiting a large music store to try out various horns that will give me a dark sound, such as the 1500 and possibly the Conn V1 with rose brass bell.

Thanks,

WFUnix

Pianissimo User
    I had the same problem when I tried the horn out. Does anything sound better than this horn?? You will eventually get used to it. I think the big problem I had was the resistance. There was much less resistance on the 1500 than my other horn so I ended up resorting to some old bad habits to compensate including tensing my throat and using too much pressure. The best thing for me was to switch from my 7c Megatone to a regular 7c which gave me the resistance I was used to. (the megatone has a slightly larger throat than the regualr 7c) Hope this helps!!!

Jon

Pianissimo User
    When I first played the 1500 I thought it was too large and didn't know if I would like it as an every day horn. Now, fast forward a few years and a couple of large bore horns later. After playing large bore horns I came back to the 1500 and had no problems with my upper range. If I hadn't gone through the larger bore horns I definitely would have had an adjustment period though.

Mike

Mezzo Forte User bigaggietrumpet's Avatar
    Ok, here's a question- I believe I recall seeing where you can get the 1500 in silver plating. Anyone seen/played this? What would that do to the tone? I'd imagine it would get brighter, but I don't know for sure.
    Michael Smith
    Hullabaloo: The official band of Texas A&M Basketball
    Kanstul 1537/ Schilke 14
    LA Olds Studio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information