Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Horns Discuss Kanstul 1525 and mouthpiece recommendation in the Equipment forums; Originally Posted by TrumpetMD There is nothing wrong with a Bach flugelhorn mouthpiece. Of course there are personal preferences. But ...
    Forte User

Re: Kanstul 1525 and mouthpiece recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetMD View Post
    There is nothing wrong with a Bach flugelhorn mouthpiece. Of course there are personal preferences. But making such a generalized statement is just not true.

The OP wanted for suggestions for a mouthpiece as close to the Bach 3C trumpet mouthpiece as possible. That would be the Bach 3CFL. The OP may end up liking a different mouthpiece. But given the parameters of the OP, the 3CFL is a logical place to start.

Mike
    Now, wait a minute. Exactly which Bach 3C and/or 3CFL are you talking about here? Bach has been notoriously inconsistent over the years. If you do a little comparing, you'll find out that Curry rims are modeled after Mt. Vernon Bachs - for whatever reason, sort of an exalted era in Bach mouthpiece production. But the Curry mouthpieces are very consistent, very comfortable, very reasonably priced, and beautifully finished. The Bach flugelhorn mouthpieces - and, yes, I do have three of the stinkers in my posession - are prime examples of flugelhorn mouthpieces made by a company which has absolutely never made a flugelhorn worth having.

If the OP is really married to the 3 rim, he may find that the Curry line requires dropping down a couple of sizes or so to get the same feel, but that's all based on just which Bach 3C he's playing now. As far as the 3CFL being the logical place to start, my offer still stands if the OP's interested in it. I notice that you play a 3CFL yourself, presumably on that Getzen 896. More power to you. That's probably a pretty decent match. For a ZKF-1525, which I also happen to play, I wouldn't touch that Bach mouthpiece on a bet.

(Just for the record, I'm a flugelhorn freak - currently own 18 of the things although I have to count Kuhlohorns, Eb soprano flugelhorn, and slide flugelhorn to reach that count. Two of them are Getzens, one of which is an 896. It desperately needs to be restored, but would cost more than the horn could ever be worth to have the work done, so it sits here waiting for its chance to be tossed in as an extra in a multi-horn swap some time. I don't like the horn well enough to spend any money on it. Sorry. Nothing against Getzen, but we were talking about a Kanstul ZKF-1525 here, and that's one of my top two flugelhorns and one I've spent plenty of time with. I know a guy who plays one with a Benge 5CFL. I just don't care for the tonal quality with that, or with the Bach 3CFL - I've tried it, and hated it.)
    Last edited by ChopsGone; 12-23-2011 at 12:21 PM.
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ChopsGone View Post
    The Bach flugelhorn mouthpieces - and, yes, I do have three of the stinkers in my posession - are prime examples of flugelhorn mouthpieces made by a company which has absolutely never made a flugelhorn worth having.
    I played a Bach Strad 183 flugel for almost 20 years. It was a fine horn with excellent intonation and a good upper register (if playing high on flugel is your thing). The sound was pretty bright, even with the Bach no-letter flugel pieces (1FL and 3FL) that were all I was familiar with back in college. Eventually I discovered the Wick mouthpieces and used a 4F to get a sound I was pretty happy with. Eventually I got caught up in pursuing the super-dark flugel sound and ended up replacing the Bach with a copper Calicchio. Now I regret selling the Bach. The Calicchio is great for small-group playing, but the sound is so diffuse it just disappears in a big band setting.
    TrumpetMD likes this.
    J. Notso Nieuwguyski

Hey ChopsGone. We're talking about 2 different things. While I appreciate your enthusiasm, calling the 3CFL a worthless piece of junk is just not true, and not very constructive.

Mike
    Bach Stradivarius 180-43* (1974) and 239 CML (1980)
    Olds Ambassador Trumpet (1957) and Cornet (1957)
    Getzen 896 Flugel (1974), 940 Piccolo, M2003ES Field Trumpet
    Carol CPT-300LR Pocket Trumpet
    Bach 3C, 3D, 3CFL mouthpieces
    Seydel Saxony and Suzuki SCX Chromatic Harmonicas

Forte User

I made it clear that it's worthless to me - if the OP wants it, he can have it free of charge. How is that not helpful, even though I certainly advise against using that mouthpiece? It's a personal opinion, of course, but based on having played flugelhorns since about 1957. I just don't like that mouthpiece for that horn, and don't care much for it for any other horn. There are far too many higher quality flugelhorn mouthpieces on the market for anyone to settle for a Bach - Curry, Flip Oakes, GR, Monette, Warburton, Wick, Reeves, Kanstul - it's hard to go too far wrong with any of those. (Yes, I do own flugelhorn mouthpieces made by all of those I mentioned.)
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

I think we're going to agree to disagree on this one. That's fine. No worries.

Mike
    Last edited by TrumpetMD; 12-23-2011 at 01:11 PM.
    Bach Stradivarius 180-43* (1974) and 239 CML (1980)
    Olds Ambassador Trumpet (1957) and Cornet (1957)
    Getzen 896 Flugel (1974), 940 Piccolo, M2003ES Field Trumpet
    Carol CPT-300LR Pocket Trumpet
    Bach 3C, 3D, 3CFL mouthpieces
    Seydel Saxony and Suzuki SCX Chromatic Harmonicas

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet Dreamer View Post
    The following is taken from "The Flugelhorn Guide".

Getzen makes three valve and four valve Eterna flugelhorns, at generally reasonable prices. They all have large trumpet-like bores. They are rarely played by pros because of their bore size, uneven manufacture, and poor intonation. The 4th valve is kind of cool but it changes the way the horn plays and most people don't think for the better. But Getzen has recently introduced a more traditional small bore flugel, the Custom 3895, as noted above, that may be worth a try.
    The writer of the guide is way off, and likely never played the 4 valve version. First of all, check Freddie Hubbard's list of horns, the Getzen 4 valve flugelhorn was one of his routinely used horns. The last time I checked, I believe Freddie Hubbard was considered a professional. Before moving on to Marcinkiewicz, Rick Braun also promoted the Getzen flugelhorn. I believe he too is considered a professional. These facts are not consistent with"The Flugelhorn Guide", and suggests the writer of that article did not research very well their topic, or is highly biased.

Then there is cyber_shake's personal review printed here on TM related to catching my gig at the Blue Wisp earlier this year. He states: "The G-man played a great gig. During the 2nd set he was featured on Stella By Starlight, which I have to say was the absolute best version I've ever heard. Honestly, it was a magical musical moment and Gary played it flawlessly on his 4-valve Getzen flugel with such style and fabulous tone. I wished I had recorded it ..." Here is a reference to the post #27 so you can see it in full context: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140...y-61823-3.html (More olds inquiries, and a bit of getzen curiosity)

I personally have never had intonation problems playing the Getzen 4 valve. I did note the intonation was not as crisp on the 3-valve Kanstul 1525 as it is with my Getzen, but I do have to say that when playing below low D, the Kanstul wins you over with the lush tone, similar to that of a french horn.

So from my personal experience and supported by our TM member cyber_shake, I would like to go on record that "The Flugelhorn Guide" misspeaks the truth on the Getzen Flugelhorn.
    Last edited by gmonady; 12-24-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRicks View Post
    gmonady,

Interesting. Having never played a 4 valve, I assume the 4th valve lowers the pitch 2 and a half steps? Imagine it helps with intonation in the lower register. Does it have any use in the upper?
    Here is the discussion Getzen includes with their 4-valve horn: ...the only other way [versus 1st or 3rd valve trigger] to provide assistance to the traditional intonation problems (low D, C sharp, G and F sharp) is to provide a 4th valve with slightly longer tubing than first and third combined. The 4th valve alone may be substituted for any 1-3 combination and 2-4 may be substituted for 1-2-3. The 4th valve also serves to extend the range, connecting the bottom of the normal range to pedal tone register.

It is this last sentence that to me provides the MOST value to the 4th valve. Extended range fingerings are for all notes below staff: F = 1-4; E = 1-2-4; Eb = 2-3-4; D = 1-2-4; Db = 1-2-3-4 In other words, the same fingering as the usual note with the 4th valve included. The bridging is in amazing tune and slots effortlessly. I play in this range a lot for background arrangements when I write/arrange tunes with the Tenor sax playing the lead lines.
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador

For the record, I am stronly considering buying the 4-valve Kanstul 1526, and found a trumpet vendor in Cincinnati that sels them WAY under the list price! If I just didn't recently by my Martin Committee, I really would believe I would have given myself the Kanstul flugelhorn for a Christmas present! Did I mention, those low tones really win you over!
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador

Oh, by the way, my Getzen 3C worked GREAT on the Kanstul 1525.
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1965 Olds Ambassador

Mezzo Forte User Trumpet Dreamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet Dreamer View Post
    The following is taken from "The Flugelhorn Guide".

Getzen makes three valve and four valve Eterna flugelhorns, at generally reasonable prices. They all have large trumpet-like bores. They are rarely played by pros because of their bore size, uneven manufacture, and poor intonation. The 4th valve is kind of cool but it changes the way the horn plays and most people don't think for the better. But Getzen has recently introduced a more traditional small bore flugel, the Custom 3895, as noted above, that may be worth a try.
    Correction: This was actually taken from the website - The Trumpet Gearhead, by James Donaldson. It is a widely referenced source of info on trumpets and related issues.
    Getzen "Mike Vax" 3001MV Trumpet
    Kanstul - Besson International Trumpet
    Yamaha YTR-2335S Totally "Pimped" (Oh, Yes!)
    Custom CarolBrass CTR-5204L-RLM
    Carol Brass Pocket Trumpet
    Jupiter JFH-846RS Flugelhorn

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information