Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Horns Discuss Kanstul in the Equipment forums; Hi, I played a Kanstul today for the first time and loved it. I would like to hear some of ...

Kanstul

Hi,
    I played a Kanstul today for the first time and loved it. I would like to hear some of your thoughts on Kanstul trumpets.

New Friend

Re: Kanstul

Kanstul horns are solid. Zig Kanstul in one of the top builders in the industry and was, I believe, production manager for Benge back in its heyday. I've had a signature series Kanstul as well as a Wild Thing that I just purchased (produced by Kanstul per Flip Oakes' specifications).

I've toured the factory while on a business trip to CA, and I was surprised to see the wide variety of horns that Kanstul produces for other companies, Besson, Zeus, etc.

When I visited the factory and the show room, I got to try out several Kanstul horns and mouthpieces, leading me to wonder why anybody would go to Anaheim and spend time at Disneyland when they could go the Kanstul.

Zig apprenticed with Reynolds, became supervisor at Olds with engineering and design. Zig then became vice president of the King company in charge of the Benge plant. After that he became VP of manufacturing at CG Conn. He started Kanstul soon after.

...Kanstul also does the Smith and Watkins line... :)

I played a 1503 for about a year and a half. I've also played the 1600WB and the ZeuS line. Oh, and the two Chicago Bbs.

The 1503 sounded JUST LIKE the Olds Mendez to me. The Chicagos sounded like the Benges. You can hear a lot of Zig's experience in the Kanstul line.

Van

Fortissimo User

If you really, really like it, and you can afford it, then buy it. They make good stuff in Anaheim. What we might think of it is irrelevant... we won't be playing it... YOU will.

(I've got a Kanstul horn here at home that I've had for 8 years now. Great product.)

MJ
    Administrator Fortissimo User MJ's Avatar

What year did Kanstul start?

Forte User

I have a Kanstul C which is awaiting modification by Jason Harrelson. I'm really looking forward to getting it back. It was a good horn and I'm sure it will be much better after it's done.

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day so that my child may have peace.”

Thomas Paine 1737-1809

“That’s all the bullets we had, or we would have shot him more,” Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd

Kanstul started in 1981.

Oh yeah, Kanstul horns are GREAT. You will not find valves as solid as these. My gosh, they feel so good broken-in you almost think there HAS to be air leaking out of them... :)

Oh yeah, and they sound great, too.

Toots, isnt your Kanstul the Besson with the Najoom pipe?

Van

Fortissimo User

I'm afraid not. I have a couple of the models you refer to but only in a sales shop. Mine is the "lower" model "International"... a great horn at a superb, affordable price. The one thing that I can't complain about with Kanstul is their customer service; these guys have been superb on both occaisions when I've had to yell for help (parts aren't readily available close by so they mailed them to me "gratis").

I'm a big Kanstul fan. We're fortunate to have this company making the horns they do. USA workmanship is alive and well. To illustrate just how good Kanstul is look at all the excellent horns sold under differnent names they make the parts for: Callet, Destino, Smith-Watkins (mentioned earlier), Max, Wild Thing, Zeus, Besson (the excellent old Stamm line and USA models, not Kanstul now and something to aviod), and my favorite... a truly great horn-- Scodwell. There are probably a few others I've forgotton. These are unique and individual horns in their own right but Kanstul makes the parts... that's saying something.

The Kanstul "K" series of horns are probably the best intermediate level horns on the market. The workmanship on these models is pro level quality as is the Custom class model cornets and trumpets.

The Kanstul trumpets, cornets and flugel models are all outstanding. They make all different sizes and shapes to suit just about whatever you're looking for. I've owned a slew of Kanstul trumpets, cornets and flugels and they were all wonderful horns. I"m currently playing the Chicago 1000, a copy of the old Benges-- I just love it. Here's an unofficial list of what the Kanstuls are like and compare to:

Signature Series
    1500-- IMO it's close to the Olds Recording or Mendez models except it comes standard with a heavy copper bell.
    1500B-- Perhaps the best clone of the old Mt.Vernon Bach Strads on the market. Lighweight (37) bell like the old Mt.Vernons.
    1501/1502-- Kanstul version of the classic Callichios.
    1503-- Like a Bach Strad 72
    1504-- Strad 72 with 46 leadpipe
    1600-- Strad lightweight 72 bell with 46 leadpipe
    1601-- not sure! Haven't had a chance to play one of these yet.

Chicago Series
    1000/1001-- Early ML and MLP Benges

Maraichi Series:
    copies of the old Conn small bore 38B Connstellations. Small bore and a huge bell-- fantastic trumpets and a hoot to play!

Custom class:
    Pro level workmanship at "student" prices for all these models, the 900 is basically Zig's answer to the Bach Strad 37.

"K" Series"
    700-- a somewhat cheaper version of the Custom 900 but still pro level quality. The 610 is no longer made but regarded by many as the best student horn ever made (also sold for as the Besson 609). You'll see these still floating around on ebay and they are an excellent horn for the money. If I had a kid starting band this is the model I'd get.
    An honorable mention is the KCR 730 long model cornet. This is a GREAT cornet for the money!

And I've barely touched on the Kanstul cornets and flugels... all excellent in their own way. My "sleeper" among these besides the KCR 730 cornet is the Chicago flugel.

I kind of have my eye on a few kanstuls...the 1500, 1500A...and the 1601(formerly the 1500TW). I got to play the 1500 for a few minuites and i liked it. I would really like to play some others but im not sure If I will get a chance. What are the diferences in the sound of the 1500 and the 1601? And does anyone know how resonant the sound of the 1500A is and if could fit into various styles of music?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information