Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Horns Discuss Kanstul trumpets in the Equipment forums; Today I had the opportunity to try out 3 Kanstul trumpets -which I believe were new. One was the 1500, ...

Kanstul trumpets

Today I had the opportunity to try out 3 Kanstul trumpets -which I believe were new. One was the 1500, another was the 1500a, and the last was the Mariachi.

I thought the 1500a was horrible. I had a dead sound, no thickness, and no "feel" in the horn for the sound. I was told the horns were designed for projection, with no reverb in the hands. Maybe so. It wasn't for me and I thought I sounded horrible.

The 1500 produced a good, thick, solid sound. A little dark for my taste (my sound is typically bright).

The Mariachi was literally the best horn I had ever played. If felt substantial in my hands and produced a thick, full, bright sound, and was easy to play.

Now, can someone share a little about Kanstul trumpets? (I've always been an Olds player and do know Ziggy left Olds and started his own Kanstul shop). Is there any problem with certain years to avoid, or are some better than others? Also, can someone share the different models of Kanstul -and any history of this if important? If I ever get one, it will likely be used.

Thanks,

Steve
    Olds Super 62, 53, 46
    Olds Recording 52
    Bach Strad 66, 70
    Steve
    Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007), 991 (2010)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

Re: Kanstul trumpets

Here is the fine Kanstul website, in case that would help you get started.
    http://www.kanstul.net/
    There are many archived threads on Kanstul trumpets here, especially on the Kanstul made Besson 609-709 models. I love my 609 so-called "student " horn, which fills my playing needs very well. I have found exact production dates and serial # info hard to come by.
    I imagine you will get other responses from owners of other models produced just under the Kanstul name.
    Here is the Brass Review page with many reviews of models.
    Brass Review.com - Kanstul
    Last edited by MFfan; 10-25-2009 at 08:37 AM.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

New Friend

I would just say that all manufacturers strive to make each horn as good as they can, but realize each is a little different. It is always best to play as many as you can and if one grabs you like the Mariachi horn did, then buy it and be happy! I had a friend that played with Dave Brubeck in the Army, matter of fact he turned down the move to NY after the military because he had a wife, daughter and job at home. They replaced him with some guy named Paul Desmond, I think they made out alright though. He had the to opportunity to play a dozen or so Selmer saxes in the 50's at the factory. He picked the one that played the best, and from what others have told me, they have never played a better horn than that one, yet they were all made the same, on the same line and in the same factory! If you find a jewel just jump on it!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRicks View Post
    Today I had the opportunity to try out 3 Kanstul trumpets -which I believe were new. One was the 1500, another was the 1500a, and the last was the Mariachi.

I thought the 1500a was horrible. I had a dead sound, no thickness, and no "feel" in the horn for the sound. I was told the horns were designed for projection, with no reverb in the hands. Maybe so. It wasn't for me and I thought I sounded horrible.

The 1500 produced a good, thick, solid sound. A little dark for my taste (my sound is typically bright).

The Mariachi was literally the best horn I had ever played.
    Hi Steve. Thanks for posting your review of these horns.

I wonder if part of the problem you had with the 1500A and 1500 was your preference for brighter/livelier trumpets like the Kanstul Mariachi? The 1500A has extra weight and bracing for a darker more symphonic sound, similar (I suppose) to the new Schilke HD and Getzen Genesis. The 1500 is more general-purpose, but I believe it also has a heavier bell.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetMD View Post
    Hi Steve. Thanks for posting your review of these horns.

I wonder if part of the problem you had with the 1500A and 1500 was your preference for brighter/livelier trumpets like the Kanstul Mariachi? The 1500A has extra weight and bracing for a darker more symphonic sound, similar (I suppose) to the new Schilke HD and Getzen Genesis. The 1500 is more general-purpose, but I believe it also has a heavier bell.

Mike
    The Model 1500 features a fairly heavy .025" copper bell, giving it an intimate, smoky sound perfect for combo jazz. It also blends well in a section and can be brightened with a quick change of mouthpiece if necessary. It is indeed a great all-around horn, but probably not quite appropriate for lead in a big band. This was our first "Signature" model - introduced about 20 years ago - and originally referred to (in the factory, anyway) as the "Hal" horn. It was developed by Zig Kanstul for noted trumpet collector and aficionado Hal Oringer. It has been played by many of the greats here in LA including Ollie Mitchell, and played today by Chuck MacKinnon in NYC.
    Model 1500

The Model 1500-A is a similar horn but with a .020" bronze bell. The heavy receiver, bottom caps, weighted tuning slide and bell "fin" (as many call it) give it substantially better projection while retaining the dark sound. With the unweighted tuning slide, the horn lights up much easier, making it a terrific commercial horn that will be heard in any hall. Also introduced almost 20 years ago, the Model 1500-A is widely used. The trumpet section of the Starlight Orchestra at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA, led by monster lead player Larry Hart all play this model.
    Model 1500-A

The Model 991 "Mariachi" was designed to be a brighter horn. It has a medium bore and large bell flare giving it excellent projection and a light, bright tone. Back off a little, and it mellows quickly making it a terrific jazz horn. It's based on the classic Connstellation, and many players say that it compares more than favorably. Our friend Steve Reid played this one on the Ellington band, and as lead player with KC and the Sunshine Band.
    Model 991

All the best,
    Charles G. Hargett
    Sales & Marketing Manager
    Kanstul Musical Instruments, Inc.

"Like" us on Facebook, won't you?

For product information, please contact the sales dept. at (888) KANSTUL, or refer to the Kanstul website, www.kanstul.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRicks View Post
    Is there any problem with certain years to avoid...?
    Never with Kanstul.
    1964 Conn Connstellation 38B
    Kanstul KTR-700S
    Jupiter 846S flugelhorn
    Charles Colin Pocket Max trumpet

New Friend

I don't think Kanstul makes anything bad. I have two French Besson horns (made by Kanstul) one a Bb and one a Flugelhorn and have nothing but good to say about them. I prefer my Bach 180s72 over the Marvin Stamm Bb trumpet but that's mostly due to my personal preferences. Kanstul makes great horns to buy to play. The only negative is they don't hold their value like Bach or Schilke...

New Friend

I agree. I have owned 2 and still own one, and a Callet. I have also played many others, and been "around" a bunch. Never seen a bad one, not even close.
    Callet Jazz
    Bach 37
    Kanstul Flug

Piano User

Mine ROCKS!!! I love it a lot!!!

Mouthpieces too!
    Kanstul Chicago 1001 w/ Kanstul M-B11 P (Monette B1-1 Prana)
    Conn 80A w/ CG Personal GP

Quote Originally Posted by BradH View Post
    I don't think Kanstul makes anything bad.
    Agree. And thanks to Charles for the detailed descriptions. I think the OP just didn't feel the darker horns fit his style of playing. That's just a personal preference, which is fine. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the horns themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information