Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rowuk
Horns Discuss King 600 review in the Equipment forums; Hey guys, this Review was performed by giving me 15 minutes with a random king 600 trumpet. Well, from my ...
    Pianissimo User

King 600 review

Hey guys, this Review was performed by giving me 15 minutes with a random king 600 trumpet.

Well, from my experience, kings are used more in marching bands and drum corps. But honestly, I've never even held a student king.

So here is my notes from the 15 minutes,

When looking at a horn, most don't add the case into the review, but this one is going in. It's nice, really nice. Is hard plastic with a red king emblem in the upper right hand corner. If you have looked for 600s on eBay, this one is the most common.

So out of the case, the trumpet looks fine. The laquer is nicely applied and doesn't have any marks or inconsistancies that you see on a few bach tr300s or blessing students. The valves look great, but don't win any awards. They look awesome, red valve felts with thick topped mother of pearl buttons. But the valves arnt too good performance wise. Not as bad as yamahas, but they just feel slow, even after oiling. Oh, and a last take on the looks, the tuning slide bracing looks really cool, something that's not on most student horns.

Well, here is the playing, I just played a few notes, chromatic scale, and a few small pieces.

The take, it plays fantasticly! Amazing tone. I pumped air into the horn, and it took advantage of it. Something i'm not used to for being a strad player. Seriously, I played g,a,b,c and held the c to tune. And I almost fell out of my chair. Something I was not expecting. Hey, it figures this Student horn plays this well. Think of putting as much air as you can into a horn and just hearing a wonderful backed and controlled tone without trying too hard to stay in tune. It's just incredible.

Final take.

Is this a great student horn? I don't think so. I think this is a horn that experienced players or players looking to step up to try this horn. I just can't see a brand new player playing this horn without struggling. You need a lot of air for this horn. Something players need at develop. Give your kid a getzen. They have great student horns. But pros and experienced players, give this one a shot, it's a great horn that will surprise you.
    ________________MY COLLECTION________________

1. Olds 10MUMU - piece of CRAP
    2. Strad 37 - second best
    3. Unnamed ancient horn -just for show
    4. Yamaha YTR-01- tied for second best
    5. Getzen 700 Special -My best
    6. King "superior"
    7. Blessing flugel
    8. King mellophone

Pianissimo User

Re: King 600 review

Sorry for any wierd sentances or mispellings, I typed it from my phone.

6. King "superior"
    7. Blessing flugel
    8. King mellophone

Piano User

I have a King 601 and I think the valves on mine are very nice. The 601 is like the 600 but with a 1st valve saddle. The intonation is solid on mine and the tuning, like the one you played, is almost always perfect.
    1952 Olds Studio Bb
    1949 Olds Super Bb
    1950 Olds Ambassador Bb
    2007 Jupiter Tribune Bb
    1995 Conn 86B C
    2000 Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn

Fortissimo User Buck with a Bach's Avatar

Cool Re: King 600 review

The 600's are a .459 or .460 bore. King's site lists the bore of the 601's at .462. As I'm considering these two for a possible C conversion, i appreciate seeing a review on them.........Buck
    Bach Artist LTD-1
    Yamaha YTR-732( now gone)
    Selman C, rose brass( ongoing experiment)
    72 Olds Custom Crafted

Selman Flugle( I know, it's Chinese)( Any body got a Getzen valve block I can put in this thing?)
    Conn 17A Cornet
    Bugles across America

Mezzo Forte User

Hello. Each year we have a Christmas parade with the local High School bands doing a lot of the playing and marching etc. The closest Marine,Navy, Air force,Army bands as well. The main local School Band is fairly large,play and march very well. Put out a great sound. They usually assemble behind the Store I help out at sometimes. Got to check out the Trumpet section. I was figuring to see mostly Bach's and Yamaha's. But low and behold,most were using rehabed H.N. White King 601-602 trumpets and some of the first makes of the later King 601-602 Trumpets. The H.N. White and early make Conn Selmer Kings did have nickel silver valves. A good while back,my local pawn shop may have had a H.N. White 601 or 602 Trumpet in their music section. Might need to go back and check it out.

Pianissimo User

I just wish I would have found out about this horn earlier. It's wierd playing this horn and going back to the strad. But hey, I have a vintage king superior on it's way and I hope to get a review in on that too.

6. King "superior"
    7. Blessing flugel
    8. King mellophone

Pianissimo User

The thread is a little old, but not too bad I hope. My King 600 has a first valve saddle and a bore marking on the second valve that says 458. I don't know if the saddle is factory but it appears to be as it matches the rest of the horn. I love my King. I found it under my Nana's guest bed and it became my first horn (I played snare drum first..shhhh). I still play it outdoors for marching or whatever. I can definitely feel the 458 bore as I feel like I have to back off to really get what I want out of it. The intonation is pretty good, but I like really solid slots. It is significantly lighter to carry than any other horn I've ever played and has a brighter sound because of this. This also makes it appealing to me for marching band ;).
    Andy Sites
    King 600 (first horn)
    Taylor Chicago 46 VR (my baby)

"Trumpet playing isn't rocket science...because we know how to make rockets."
    Stephen Leisring

Quote Originally Posted by FutureBC View Post
    .................. Not as bad as yamahas, but they just feel slow, even after oiling. ................
    Bad valves, Yamaha? You just disqualified yourself. Even the Yamalloy valved instruments were fine when properly cared for. I have played hundreds of Yamaha instruments (most of my students buy them - I have no commercial interest and get no commissions). I have NEVER had a bad one. Slow valve, properly clean and oil, fast valve.
    watchguy44 likes this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    Bad valves, Yamaha? You just disqualified yourself. Even the Yamalloy valved instruments were fine when properly cared for. I have played hundreds of Yamaha instruments (most of my students buy them - I have no commercial interest and get no commissions). I have NEVER had a bad one. Slow valve, properly clean and oil, fast valve.
    That comment made my head spin as well. You don't get much better valves than Yamaha.

My experience with the King 600 is pretty much the opposite of the way this thread has gone.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Thread Information