Horns Discuss King 601 or Jupiter JTR 600M in the Equipment forums; I am looking at buying a new trumpet. Only thing is I'm looking for something used and can't spend to ...
    Pianissimo User

King 601 or Jupiter JTR 600M

I am looking at buying a new trumpet. Only thing is I'm looking for something used and can't spend to much money on it. Theres a man who restores used trumpets to "near mint" condition who lives a couple hours a way and I've only heard good things about him, so I'm thinking about giving him a try. He has a King 601 and a Jupiter JTR 600M for the same price. I'm in high school so I'm just looking for a cheap secondary horn to be used for marching band. He has about 10 pictures of different angles and close-ups of both horns and they both look great, inside and out. Which should I get? If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: King 601 or Jupiter JTR 600M

I dont know about the King but i can vouche for the Jupiter. I play on the 600M and i havent had a problem with it that wasnt caused by someone dropping it. It is really sturdy, it survived a four/five ft drop on to a marble floor with minimal damage, so it will last for years. It plays really easily, it was better than a pro Yamaha that i tried at the same time (sort of a "this is what a cheap one plays like, this is what an expensive one plays like" which backfired). There is no problems with range, it does get difficult around high G (the one above the one resting on the stave) to pitch notes but it can get up to double high C. The valves can be unreliable but i found that Holton Electric Oil has sorted that out perfectly.

All in all a really good student horn and worth the money if you dont want to spend alot.

Jupiter 600m Trumpet Bb
    Bach Strad Flugel Bb
    Getzen Eterna Cornet Bb
    Getzen Eterna Cornet Eb

"Music is a journey. Jazz is getting lost"
    "Better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" -- Mark Twain

Pianissimo User

I will probably end up going with the Jupiter. From what I've been told it would be the better instrument, plus it also looks nicer

Pianissimo User

I have another to throw on the list for $30 less, a Yamaha 2320. Would that be a better choice?

Pianissimo User

The Yamaha is off the list, back to the original two.

Thread Information