Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
Horns Discuss King Cornet in the Equipment forums; I am just learning to play the trumpet, just basic stuff at the moment but I can knock out a ...
    New Friend

King Cornet

I am just learning to play the trumpet, just basic stuff at the moment but I can knock out a mean version of twinkle twinkle little star. My 8 year old daughter is wanting to learn with me but is struggling with the size of the trumpet. I don't want to buy her own instrument as yet because as 8 year old son tend to do, she may decide it's not for her next week. My plan therefore is to buy a cornet as i fancy one anyway and she can practice on that.

Anyway in my ignorance I was hoping for some adevice. Don't want to spend a lot but also don't want to buy a piece of crap. I fancy a king cornet and have seen a couple of seconds hand ones that appeal. A king cornet opus 7 (which unfortunately is not in the original case) and a king cornet 605. Both are are round 150/200. Any thoughts or advice on these or any others welcome. Thanks in advance

Forte User

Re: King Cornet

Welcome to TrumpetMaster!

The 600 Series Kings are student horns. Intonation is passable, sound is a bit bright, but they are sturdy and durable. The Opus 7 was top of the line when it was produced, and the sound is delicious. Intonation can be close to irredeemable. It is built well, but the factory neglected to do a lot of the expected finishing touches one would expect to find in a professional quality horn. These problems can be overcome (See Brassreview.com).

IMO if the 605 and the Opus 7 are in comparable excellent condition, the 605 is overpriced, and the Opus 7 is a fair deal. I would not put an Opus 7 in the hands of an 8-year-old. Any 600 series would serve you both well at this point in your development, but I'd search for a better price than the range you have given.
    Dillon Bb pocket trumpet
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    shofar
    Casio CTK-518 keyboard

Yes, if they are the same price, the Opus 7 is by far the better deal. If it's in good condition, I'd snatch it up in a minute for that price.

Olde Towne Brass
    www.otbrass.com

Brass Band of Huntsville
    www.brassbandofhuntsville.com

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

I love a carefully calibrated bore size!!!
    J. Jericho likes this.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

New Friend

Thank, great advice. I do fancy the opus 7. Why would you say not to put it in the hands of an 8 year old? Is it because they would find it hard to play or simply because they would wreck it?

I missed the "plushier!" Man that's some horn. Or is it an easy chair?
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by Diggerbarnes View Post
    Thank, great advice. I do fancy the opus 7. Why would you say not to put it in the hands of an 8 year old? Is it because they would find it hard to play or simply because they would wreck it?
    The Opus 7 is for someone who has developed an appreciation for the finer things in life and who would take particularly good care of it. It's not a toy for a young kid whose latest interest happens to be to play the trumpet. You know your daughter better than I do; if she meets the qualifications, buy the horn.
    Dillon Bb pocket trumpet
    shofar
    Casio CTK-518 keyboard

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by veery715 View Post
    I missed the "plushier!" Man that's some horn. Or is it an easy chair?
    Trust me; it's a good description.
    Dillon Bb pocket trumpet
    shofar
    Casio CTK-518 keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by J. Jericho View Post
    The Opus 7 is for someone who has developed an appreciation for the finer things in life and who would take particularly good care of it. It's not a toy for a young kid whose latest interest happens to be to play the trumpet. You know your daughter better than I do; if she meets the qualifications, buy the horn.
    Trust me OP, the man knows what he is saying. I started on a crappy Chinese Yamaha and it took me 7 years to get a professional instrument in my hands.
    J. Jericho and True Tone like this.
    TM Safety Patrol - Let's keep TM Safe.
    If you spot an advertiser/scammer/spammer, hit the report button immediately.

Attention:
    Constant N+1 & N-1 in progress

This message was created using 100% recycled electrons.

New Friend

OK. I guess you are right. I suppose I just wanted the opus 7. Might buy it anyway. With my daughter in mind I can buy a brand new sontana student cornet for 125 pounds which seems to have decent reviews (relatively of course). Thanks for all the advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information