Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Horns Discuss Liberty by Bach (Bach on Strike) Trumpet - PLEASE HELP! in the Equipment forums; I'm a bass player and don't know much at all about brass, so please pardon my ignorance. I was looking ...
    New Friend

Question Liberty by Bach (Bach on Strike) Trumpet - PLEASE HELP!

I'm a bass player and don't know much at all about brass, so please pardon my ignorance.

I was looking to upgrade my son's cheap stundent trumpet as he's been at it for a couple of years now and made first chair this year. So he wanted a new King, but while in my local music store I saw a Bach on clearance for the same money as the King ($999 U.S.).

The sales info claimed MSRP was $2400 and that it was originally $1680 in the store and was on clearance for $999.

It's a "Liberty by Bach". the sales manager said it was a "Bach strike trumpet" and was the same as a Bach Strad and named this way because of the strike. Any truth to this? Is it a good deal for $999 new? I bought it, but can return it for up to 30 days.

Info that was on tag:
    Bach Professional Trumpet
    Model LTR-500S
    .459" med/lrg bore
    Gold Plated trim
    Single Piece
    Original Bell

Pictures:

New Friend

Re: Liberty by Bach (Bach on Strike) Trumpet - PLEASE HELP!

Nobody to chime in? Well as an update, I contacted the store where I bought it and told them of my findings. They told me that they have an exclusive line with Bach and that Bach USA made this trumpet. The store is a national chain (Music & Arts Center). I tried contacting Bach to validate this but Bach does not appear to have any contact info on their website . Not sure what to do folks. Thinkking about just returning it. Anybody have any info? HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    Nobody to chime in? Well as an update, I contacted the store where I bought it and told them of my findings. They told me that they have an exclusive line with Bach and that Bach USA made this trumpet. The store is a national chain (Music & Arts Center). I tried contacting Bach to validate this but Bach does not appear to have any contact info on their website . Not sure what to do folks. Thinkking about just returning it. Anybody have any info? HELP!

Their last story is correct, it is not a strike horn, it is something that was done for them specifically, frankly it is a great trumpet, no worries!

You have a great horn, that was just a special private label production, same great Bach quality and not a strike horn at all, just a method of marketing is all. Your son has just as genuine a Bach as anything else, just added name is all. The specs might be unique to that name, but it is built in Elkhart Indiana and not just a strike horn. It is a good horn.
    Last edited by Rich Wetzel; 12-01-2008 at 05:21 PM.
    Rich Wetzel
    Bach Trumpet Artist and Clinician
    "Rich Wetzel's Groovin Higher Jazz Orchestra"
    www.richwetzel.com and www.myspace.com/groovinhigher
    www.facebook.com/rich.wetzel

New Friend

Just got word back from Conn-Selmer customer service (customer rep John Stoner and he cc'ed a Mary Whitney also from Conn-Selmer). Good news!!! Email from them:

"Fred thank you for your email regarding the Liberty Bach LTR 500S you purchased from Music and Arts. The LTR 500S was a specific brand and model exclusively manufactured for Music and Arts. The LTR 500S is made in the USA, in our Bach facility, located in Elkhart, Indiana. It most closely resembles our Bach 180S37. John"

It looks a lot like the Omega model. It was the same as the ML37 with the exception of a 2 piece bell and the 3rd slide ring.

The fact that it has an adjustable finger ring on the third valve, a lightweight tuning slide arrangement without end rings makes this more of a student/intermediate horn. It definitely has NOTHING to do with a Stradivarius. The suggested retail price is a joke. Take a real trumpet player with you to the store and play before you pay. I am not sure that this is worth a grand.

I am surprised that somebody from Conn-Selmer would make a statement like that.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

"It definitely has NOTHING to do with a Stradivarius. The suggested retail price is a joke."

What is your evidence for making this statement??? If the specs closely resemble a strad, and they're made in Elkhart, what's the problem??

Forte User

Quote Originally Posted by skbass88 View Post
    "It definitely has NOTHING to do with a Stradivarius. The suggested retail price is a joke."

What is your evidence for making this statement??? If the specs closely resemble a strad, and they're made in Elkhart, what's the problem??
    Not sure why you resurrected a 6 month old thread, but I agree with rowuks assessment that "the adjustable finger ring on the third valve, a lightweight tuning slide arrangement without end rings" and the single instead of double tuning brace makes the horn (to me) look more like the TR models than a Strad.

From a price perspective, you can pick up a used Strad in very good shape for about $800 on ebay, so a $2400 MSRP is silly. You can get a LOT more horn for that money.

That said, if the horn in the picture plays well than the kid will be thrilled with it.

Quote Originally Posted by skbass88 View Post

My evidence: 40 years of playing trumpet, over 30 years of teaching, a large personal collection of instruments including Bach professional instruments,a great working knowledge of the entire market. Check out some of my 5000+ posts to get a feel for my "evidence".

What "specs" do you refer to? An E'mail where it is claimed to be "similar"? In theory, all trumpets are "similar". Where a horn is built tells us nothing. This is simply not a pro horn, it is an intermediate model. The adjustable third valve slide ring is a dead giveaway.

A realistic price for a decent intermediate horn is around a grand, new. It could be the pictures, but I am not even sure that this horn was brand new. Silver plate normally does not have those microscratches when new.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend

Question Re: Liberty by Bach (Bach on Strike) Trumpet - PLEASE HELP!

Ok, I know this is an old post, but I found one of these horns today, at a local music shop, and it is a nice looking horn, this one that I found has 2 tuning slide with it, one is square and the other is more rounded, they are asking $520.00, the valves feel silky smooth and the finish is in great condition, I only found 1 very small dent on the exit bell, close to the front, it has a nice case thats in good condition also, so what I'm asking is??? Is this a good deal for this horn??? thanks Lance

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information