Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Horns Discuss Looking to buy my first trumpet in the Equipment forums; Hello all! (Yes, I read the affordable trumpet thread and looked around elsewhere on the internet before coming here) I ...
    New Friend

Looking to buy my first trumpet

Hello all!

(Yes, I read the affordable trumpet thread and looked around elsewhere on the internet before coming here)

I have been playing trumpet for about 3 months now on a rental Yamaha YTR2335 that has been serving me very well but I LOVE trumpet and I would like a trumpet that I can call my own, so for my birthday my parents have agreed to purchase one for me (yay!).

I just wanted to know what your guys recommendations were for a first student horn.

and if it helps, I will be playing the trumpet in band, marching band, and in a small jazz group. I take the trumpet very seriously and I am working hard so I would like it to be a horn that I will be able to have for a while and I won't soon outgrow. It doesn't matter whether it's used or new, and price isn't really an issue (nothing too ridiculous though...)

Thanks!
    Last edited by NeonMarmot; 09-25-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Pianissimo User

Re: Looking to buy my first trumpet

Try the Kanstul Model 700
    Kanstul Powerbore soprano bugle

Pianissimo User

The Yamaha 2335 is great, but take a look at the 4335 if you can. It is a BIG step up in quality with a small price difference.
    Ric
    Comeback Player

Yamaha Xeno 8335S Bb Trumpet
    Yamaha Chicago 9445CHS C Trumpet
    1983 Mercedes II Bb Trumpet
    Curry 3M, 3C.
    Bach 3C
    Yamaha 14C4, 14B4, 16C4-GP

Hey NeonMarmot, welcome to the forum!!

You didn't mention the price range that your parents would like to stay within. That in itself will be a major determining factor in what you end up with.

But, definitely try to stay with a reputable brand name. Even if it's a used horn, which is where you'll find the best bang for the buck (many of which can be found right here in the classified section).

And, if you're intent on staying with playing the trumpet, you might want to look into the intermediate level horns. It will be better to have a trumpet that you can eventually grow into, rather than another entry-level horn that you might quickly outgrow.
    Steve Bolander

Benge 5X trumpet & 3X flugel, Bach Strad, Mendez cornet, a herd of Ambassadors and a flock of other fun horns.

Bugles Across America

Piano User

Try looking for these horns used:
    Bach Strads
    LA Benges
    Getzen 700s
    1952 Olds Studio Bb
    1949 Olds Super Bb
    1950 Olds Ambassador Bb
    2007 Jupiter Tribune Bb
    1995 Conn 86B C
    2000 Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn

Pianissimo User

The 2335 is listed by Yamaha as an advanced student trumpet so you'd be looking at something a step up from that.
    The playing characteristics of different trumpet models are very much subject to personal preference. You have to like it. At this stage its probably best to draw up a shortlist of likely candidates and try them all or as many as you can find and buy the one you like.
    My own recommendation for a high end student going on professional trumpet is the Stomvi Forte. Its the one I liked best.

Check out the Kanstul website. They make great horns. Ziggy Kanstul was leading the pack at Olds and then Benge, in their hay day. You can spot these used on e-bay and don't have to worry about inconsistent quality -as you would with a Bach Strad. If you can, go down a play a few at a local music shop.

Keep in mind most teens go for Strads or Yamaha. Nothing wrong with being different.
    Steve
    Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007), 991 (2010)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

Cool Re: Looking to buy my first trumpet

I have found 3 top line horns on craigslist. I paid no more than $190 including repairs for any of them. Your advantage over the net is you can play it. Since you mentioned marching band, I would recommend the Olds Ambassador. It plays great for all the situations you mentioned and is a synonym for tank !
    You can even find them refurbished for under $500 bucks.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

My contribution to this thread is to spend your money once, and skip intermediate horns.

They aren't much better than student horns (some aren't better at all) and are more a way to drain more money from your wallet than anything else.

A good used Bach Stradivarius or LA Benge (my two favorites) will cost what a new "intermediate" instrument costs, and you'll have a horn that can serve you well the rest of your playing career.
    Richard Ashmore

My recommendation is to buy two horns. Get a used Ambassador or the like (Conn Director, a Yammie like you have, Reynolds Medalist) for marching band, and buy a nicer horn to play off the field. For $1000 you can get a $150 marching horn and a real nice used pro horn.

You don't mention where you live, but if you do, we may be able to direct you to a place to try out a bunch of horns, which is THE BEST way to find one you like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information