Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
Horns Discuss low cost Chinese trumpets in the Equipment forums; Originally Posted by operagost Which is funny, because mainland China is where they put you in jail for life if ...

Re: low cost Chinese trumpets

Quote Originally Posted by operagost View Post
    Which is funny, because mainland China is where they put you in jail for life if you run a corrupt operation... or execute you, if anyone dies.
    Perhaps the definition of "Corruption" may be somewhat more fluid in contemporary Chinese culture.

Perhaps, as in Hawaii, Haoles are considered fair game.

Pianissimo User

As poorly as the pistons were "hand lapped" and "hand fitted" monnels I've decided to return the trumpet to the seller for a full refund and spend a little more money on a different brand. I mean the lapping job is sick. It looks like someone used coarse grain sand paper. After cleaning the horn and applying valve oil, you can't even spin the piston in the cylinder. They are so out of tolerance they aren't concentric. Really poor quality. This should not be that hard to finish the job to at least a student level horn for $300. Anyway. I get my money back and will try again with something else. On another note. I put my Bundy Home build C with the banner bell on it to the tuner and in Bb it comes in pretty tight and tunable, so when my new shorter bell comes in and I get it in key of C I'm eager to see how my home made C trumpet performs against the next one I purchase.

There is even big differences in the quality of "stainless steels". Material quality is one consideration, what we do with it is also every bit as critical. Monel has the advantage that it wears - the casing not as much. With stainless, the lions share of wear is transferred to the casing. We pick our poison!

Quote Originally Posted by operagost View Post
    Can it really cost more to make stainless steel pistons than monel? Because nickel-plated steel can be made to play just as fast as monel (just try a Getzen or a top-sprung Crysteel Conn) and it won't have the corrosion problems that these cheap horns have out of the factory.
    ConnDirectorFan likes this.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User

here are some pics i grabbed of the valves before shipping out this morning. Note, I had washed and lubed. However, the valve oil is already nearly black after maybe 2 minutes of playing the horn before I decided it would not work as the valves kept sticking. Also, after cleaning and lubricating, the valves do not spin freely in the cylinders. Also, the valves were not numbered. You'll notice the blackish valve oil but you can also see "polish" wear spots randomly located and polish streaks on the pistons. You might also be able to see the poor porting as well. These are "hand lapped/fitted" pistons.

IMG_2962.JPGIMG_2961.JPGIMG_2960.JPGIMG_2963.JPGIMG_2964.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by jdltrumpet View Post
    here are some pics i grabbed of the valves before shipping out this morning. Note, I had washed and lubed. However, the valve oil is already nearly black after maybe 2 minutes of playing the horn before I decided it would not work as the valves kept sticking. Also, after cleaning and lubricating, the valves do not spin freely in the cylinders. Also, the valves were not numbered. You'll notice the blackish valve oil but you can also see "polish" wear spots randomly located and polish streaks on the pistons. You might also be able to see the poor porting as well. These are "hand lapped/fitted" pistons.

My 30 year old Conn 100B's pistons look better than that, and I flogged it mercilessly without cleaning it more than once every year or so through 8 years of school.
    2006 Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS
    1987 Conn 100B "Doc Severinsen"
    1946 Conn 22B "New York Symphony"
    1927 Conn 6A cornet
    1913 Conn New Invention "Circus Bore" cornet
    Couesnon Monopole flugelhorn

Good grief! The valves in my 70 year old Lafayette look much, much better than that!

There are competent techs that refuse to work on horns like this as it can be a never ending story. I suspect if we lap enough to get them moving freely, they are so leaky that the horn plays worse. They may even be so loose that they bind in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by jdltrumpet View Post

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Yes, send it back. That's rubbish.
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Pianissimo User

I sent it back. getting my money back. ordered a new mystery brand and order parts to custom build my own project so I'll keep you all updated on my accidental success.
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    There are competent techs that refuse to work on horns like this as it can be a never ending story. I suspect if we lap enough to get them moving freely, they are so leaky that the horn plays worse. They may even be so loose that they bind in different ways.
    Yep. It is never a good conversation, but I have had many conversations with parents about how the value of the repair exceeds the value of the instrument, and how their instrument was not built to last.
    You always have to judge the personality of the customer, and NEVER say their instrument is cheap.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker www.divitt-trumpets.com https://www.facebook.com/divitt.trumpets/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information