Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes
Horns Discuss low cost Chinese trumpets in the Equipment forums; Just to let everyone know, I received a trumpet from Berkeley Wind. The valve/piston construction was not even to an ...
    Pianissimo User

low cost Chinese trumpets

Just to let everyone know, I received a trumpet from Berkeley Wind. The valve/piston construction was not even to an amature level. Poor "hand finishing" poor compression, and valves are sticking even with ample valve oil. Sound from the trumpet was a bit dull and not all notes were in tune. I'm requesting the company to take it back. I'll let you know how that goes. I was looking for an affordable trumpet in the key of C, student quality. This trumpet is not eve student level.
    MJ, tobylou8, Dennis78 and 1 others like this.

Pianissimo User Leslie Colonello's Avatar

Re: low cost Chinese trumpets

Bummer. I was vehemently against all Chinese horns until some more knowledgeable members of this site set me straight. There are better horns than Berkeley made in China. P Maurait for one is a fine horn made in Taiwan, and those more knowledgeable will suggest other brands. I think most of us will agree that it's always a crap shoot to look to the far East for consistent quality. The horns look great though, don't they? Good luck on your next purchase.
    You would care less about what other people think of you if you realized how seldom they do.

Sorry to hear about your problem. But from what I've heard of this company, it sounds pretty typical for them.

When I was looking for a new C trumpet, I purchased a used Bach Stradivarius, good condition, $750. There are bargains out there.

That being said, if I wanted a new no-name Asian C trumpet, similar to what you purchased, I'd consider the Dillon C trumpet ($395). I've never tried one. And I believe you get what you pay for. But at least it comes with the backing of a very reputable company.

Dillon Music - Dillon C Trumpets

Mike
    Nerf and Leslie Colonello like this.
    Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 3C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Curry 3FL Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Colonello View Post
    Bummer. I was vehemently against all Chinese horns until some more knowledgeable members of this site set me straight. There are better horns than Berkeley made in China. P Maurait for one is a fine horn made in Taiwan, and those more knowledgeable will suggest other brands.
    I agree. There are some Asian horns worth considering. We all know of the ACB "doubler" flugelhorns. Dillon Music has an entire line of self-branded instruments from piccolo trumpet to tuba. I'm sure there are others.

One recent experience I had, was the purchase of a trombone, an Etude ETB-100. I assume it's made in Asia. It got it on-sale from WWBW for $100. It is what it is. But it's not too bad, even at the regular price of $170. And six months in, it's holding up well.

Lacquer ETB-100 Series Student Trombone - WWBW

Mike
    MJ, Nerf, Pinstriper and 1 others like this.
    Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 3C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Curry 3FL Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.

The better lot of the Chinese lot are Jinbao, Thomann(Only pro leve), Dillon-Music & Pro level John Packers.
    Or Taiwanese horns. The King Brand which is now discontinued made some very fine pocket trumpets.
    TM Safety Patrol - Let's keep TM Safe.
    If you spot an advertiser/scammer/spammer, hit the report button immediately.

Attention:
    Constant N+1 & N-1 in progress

This message was created using 100% recycled electrons.

Piano User

I own several Berkeley horns...they will take it back, no problem. Of the trumpet, flugel, and cornet...the cornet is the best, and the others gather dust in favor of better horns.
    Leslie Colonello likes this.
    Larry
    ------------
    Second Trumpet, Buffalo Niagara Concert Band
    First Flugel, Bergholz German Band
    Buffalo Silver Band - former back row cornet.
    -----------
    Conn Vintage One flugel
    Selmer Paris Flugel, SP, s/n 102x...'60's ?
    Tromba plastic cornet
    Tromba Flugel - two
    Blessing Artist cornet
    former owner - Buescher 280 flugel '29 - cornet wrap.
    Connstellation (Elkhart )37a/38a cornet - short model, coprion bell.
    Strad 37m Trumpet
    Holton Clark oval cornet mp

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by larry newman View Post
    I own several Berkeley horns...they will take it back, no problem. Of the trumpet, flugel, and cornet...the fornet is the best, and the others gather dust in favor of better horns.
    They said they would refund or send another trumpet. What is the likelyhood that a different horn will be any better?

Quote Originally Posted by jdltrumpet View Post
    They said they would refund or send another trumpet. What is the likelyhood that a different horn will be any better?
    Probably no better, unless you switch it for their pro level rotary valve flugelhorn, they are Cerveny stencils.
    http://www.berkeleywind.com/bb-a-rot...lugelhorn.html
    Leslie Colonello likes this.
    TM Safety Patrol - Let's keep TM Safe.
    If you spot an advertiser/scammer/spammer, hit the report button immediately.

Attention:
    Constant N+1 & N-1 in progress

This message was created using 100% recycled electrons.

Pianissimo User

maybe I'll just hang onto it and make the best of it. I have an old student horn i cut down to make it into a C key. I snagged a new Bach bell for it tonight on ebay. It will be fun to compare the two when i get the new bell for my home built C. I found a thread where Rowuk explained tubing length for the different keys so maybe I'll be able to get it close enough to enjoy.

Does anyone have any advice as to getting the Valves in the Berkeley to loosen up? I gave the trumpet a bath. The hand lapping on the "monel" pistons looks pretty darned crude. I figured the Chinese would at least be good about honing and lathing tolerances. Seems with the right tools a company could take the great instruments and reverse engineer them and at least come out the other end with something consistent and student quality.

The Chinese companies have complete control of quality. The importer buys the level of horn that they want. That "quality" comes in 5$ increments. You can order 10000 trumpets for $50 each that are crap. For $55 wholesale, you get some nickel silver trim. For $60 we get some white gloves with the horn, for $65 perhaps better slide alignment. This goes on up to about $600 each (wholesale) for a more or less professional level instrument.

It is those ordering the horns that decide how badly to screw the customer.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information