Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes
Horns Discuss New high end trumpet brand! in the Equipment forums; https://www.arresonance.com/trumpets...

New high end trumpet brand!

neal085 and True Tone like this.
    Jon Petter
    www.facebook.com/jonpetter

Hub Van Laar B5
    CarolBrass Versatile
    Bach Stradivarius 43 (1978)
    Stomvi FLEX S14A VR J6

Amrein AFL 8511 V flugelhorn
    Amrein Titanium 7FL

Re: New high end trumpet brand!

Jon Petter,
    Thanks for sharing, they look good, but I just cannot stay on one Pic-Frame long enough; that screen-show set up does not allow you to stop to have a really good look. It becomes quite annoying. The time for each view is short, but any longer and I'd be waiting all day for it to come around again.

It's early morning, no coffee yet, so maybe just me, (THERE IS A PAUSE BUTTON - aha!!)

Have you go to play them? Do you know the valves - are they made in-house or purchased?
    The mouthpieces look very interesting, but with the screw-in, I suppose they are limited to the Horn, so not transferable, a bit like the original thought of Dave Monette.

I'd value opinions and feedback on anyone getting to play them. Italy is not normally my Top of the List for horns - unless they are attached to a Ferrari.
    Last edited by Peter McNeill; 03-09-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: New Info added
    trumpetnick and True Tone like this.
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

They look like Taylor stencil horns to me (I may be wrong, but let Toni says himself how it is). I may very well be wrong, but Andy Taylor used to make horns on order for other clients such as NYTC.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McNeill View Post
    Jon Petter,
    Thanks for sharing, they look good, but I just cannot stay on one Pic-Frame long enough; that screen-show set up does not allow you to stop to have a really good look. It becomes quite annoying. The time for each view is short, but any longer and I'd be waiting all day for it to come around again.
    Try clicking on the pause icon in the top right of the picture.
    Peter McNeill likes this.
    1935 Cleveland Trumpet in Silver
    Kanstul 1000 Chicago

I will give them 5 years and hope to be wrong. They may have Adam Rapa helping them now, but there is more to flagship trumpets than making them heavy. I hope that they get some of their own ideas and R&D. I see several things that seem to be the same mistakes that Taylor made with his heaviest trumpets in addition to some fresh mistakes.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Adam is not mentioned here! MAW valves, as found on the new Taylor Chicago III! (I'm NOT a Taylor fan) I have not played them, don't know too much about them, and they may be terrible, or they may be the best! I have no idea ... yet! His mouthpieces is outstanding, so if the quality is the same on his horns it should be fine stuff! I haven't seen any prices yet, but my guess is around the 6,000$ mark!

I played a Taylor in 2005, it was a fine horn, I think Andy went quite far since then. I played some NYTC horns (not sure if they were the ones made by Andy Taylor), they were all fine horns. However, none of them were heavy horns. I don't know what mistake is Rowuk speaking of, maybe he will enlighten us

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Pianissimo User

That mouthpiece threaded receiver is a great idea.

Solid nickel bell...
    Trumpets
    B&S Challenger II, 3143/2-S
    Carolbrass 5000L-YLT-P
    Carolbrass pocket trumpet
    Flugelhorn
    Cerveny 803PX (rotary)

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetnick View Post
    I played a Taylor in 2005, it was a fine horn, I think Andy went quite far since then. I played some NYTC horns (not sure if they were the ones made by Andy Taylor), they were all fine horns. However, none of them were heavy horns. I don't know what mistake is Rowuk speaking of, maybe he will enlighten us
    I owned the Taylor Chicago Magnum Max for a while, and it was just fantastic, and heavy!! It was better at everything than any other horn I had played at that stage. I recently go to play a Monette Tantra XLT, and it is the closest to the Taylor, in fact is played like the Taylor, but was a light horn. Both of these horn responded similarly for me, but were completely different weights and designs.

I have not owned a Monette Horn, but from what I have owned of Andy Taylor's his horns are at the top shelf - the yardstick of measure for me.

Still it is nice to see new toys coming our way!
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Mezzo Piano User

I am most impressed, I dont see anything indicating stencilling, they are fabricating all parts of the horns themselves that seems clear, Only some of the mouthpieces are threaded, others are standard, and they make a thread converter piece that threads onto the threaded receiver and presents a normal taper for a normal mouthpiece so its a flexible system, well thought out.

As for playability who knows, rowuk seems to have a good idea about that, and he is right 5 years would be the correct assessment for survivability of this company, companies almost always overestimate the market share they will capture in the first years. They confidently speak of capturing 1/2 a percent of the market or 1% of the market in the first year and base their ROI predictions upon that unrealistic estimate.

The reality is closer 1/10th of 1% in the first year, with little improvement seen for the next 3 years. Most companies fail to hit targets because of this and then catastrophically fail in year 4. It is even more of a problem for a niche manufacturer such as this, I see high price low volume, it is tough to break into such a restricted market.

Low volume does mean low overheads so success by year 4 should lead to consolidation.
    If you can play Jazz you can Razzamatazz, But if you can play sweet you can always eat.

Conn 80A Cornet May 1952
    Boosey and Hawkes Emperor Trumpet September 1955
    Selmer Student Trumpet September 1943
    Comet Pea shooter Trumpet Unknown build date probably 1950

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information