Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
Horns Discuss New Horn Advice - Yamaha/Bach/Getzen in the Equipment forums; Hi Everyone; I'm new here - 60 year old coming back to play. I played a second hand Olds Ambassador ...
    New Friend

New Horn Advice - Yamaha/Bach/Getzen

Hi Everyone;
    I'm new here - 60 year old coming back to play. I played a second hand Olds Ambassador (I think) until I bought a Getzen 300 back in the mid 70's. Anyway I've been playing in a 45 piece band with 5 other trumpets for the past 4 years. All community band level. About 25% of the time I play lead. I'm still playing the Getzen 300 for all these years - usually a Bach 5C MP but I have the 7C which I play as well. Time for something better in a trumpet, I've tried others horns, mostly Yamaha 4335 or 3335s. I do very much notice the difference although I really like the Getzen 300 valves - still smooth after all these years.
    I'll likely continue to play for the next 15-20 years. So I was thinking of a good one. I can get my hands on a Yamaha Xeno or Bach 180-37 pretty easily. Other models that are fairly easy to get are lesser Yamahas and Bachs. I've not seen a Getzen 900 0r 907s but they are on my list.
    I expect to play community band level and equivalent level jazz with another band. I can afford this level of instrument but what do you advise? Xeno? 8310Z? Bach Strad? Getzen? And if Getzen which one 900 or 907s?
    I know its like asking what haircut would I like - try all of them; but that is impractical as I can't get to all of them where I live. So I'd really be interested in your views. If you were me what would you do?
    Thanks
    Jim

Re: New Horn Advice - Yamaha/Bach/Getzen

Play before you pay if at all possible. You wont be disappointed with any of the models that you mentioned, they are all top drawer. My opinion? Since you are new here you probably don't know it, but I am a big Getzen fan. The 900 and 907 are similar with the 907 being a modern design (whatever that means), and the 900 is a reissue of the iconic Severinsen model that Doc made famous. Both are awesome players and have the Getzen valve quality that you are already familiar with. Get one and don't look back!

I have a Xeno and have some experience with Strads also and for me the Eterna Classic outplays them both, though that's just my opinion. Your current Getzen is also a respected trumpet for what is classified as a student model. Look for a nice step up in playability if you move up to a 900, that is what happened to me when I got mine. Go Getzen! Best wishes.
    BachStrad1 likes this.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Pianissimo User Leslie Colonello's Avatar

I'm sure someone on this site would sell you a fine horn.

Jim, I was just doing the math after re-reading your initial post. If you are confident that you will be rocking that new trumpet for another fifteen or twenty years, well, may I give you a hearty "ATTA BOY". You deserve a 900 Eterna Classic Getzen. At our age the term "Classic" takes on special meaning. Best wishes.
    Nerf and tobylou8 like this.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1923
    Concertone, Czech made, pre war
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Piano User

At the risk of sounding simplistic, if all other things are equal and you just cannot decide what horn to go for, go with the one with better/more reliable valves.

I can cope with almost anything else in a horn, but missed strangled or goat like notes due to poor slow and crappy valves, are the most frustrating thing I know, and make me look like a rank amateur.

If I articulate a passage perfectly only to miss a note because a valve sticks I just want to stamp on the horn.

I have a choice of horns to play but when it comes to earning money it is no coincidence that my go to horn is the one with the utterly dependable valves.
    Nerf, Dennis78 and True Tone like this.
    If you can play Jazz you can Razzamatazz, But if you can play sweet you can always eat.

Conn 80A Cornet May 1952
    Boosey and Hawkes Emperor Trumpet September 1955
    Selmer Student Trumpet September 1943
    Comet Pea shooter Trumpet Unknown build date probably 1950

Another vote for the Getzen 900 Eterna Classic. You already know you like the brand and the valves are the best. I had a huge collection of outstanding horns and when I decided to sell most of them recently, I kept the Getzen.

Call Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center, they are one of the biggest Getzen dealers and their prices are great.
    Taylor Chicago Standard Getzen Eterna Classic Yamaha 731 flugelhorn
    ---- Sold everything else ---

Forte User

Welcome to TrumpetMaster!

Take the time to find examples of each and pay them all. The right one will eventually find you.
    Nerf and True Tone like this.
    Dillon Bb pocket trumpet
    Selmer Bundy tenor trombone
    shofar
    Casio CTK-518 keyboard

Larry--Doc was already famous when he started playing a Getzen--if it was actually even a Getzen at all. But that's another controversy/mystery.
    JimF--welcome to the forum. You'll get lots of advice and lots of recommendations, but the only ones you should pay any attention to are the ones that tell you to go play as many horns as you can get your hands on, then buy the one you like best. Some guys will find a Getzen they like, others a Yamaha, Kanstul, Bach, etc., etc. A great thing about playing a trumpet is that they aren't terribly expensive. Look for a nice used horn (don't get in a hurry, they are out there), take care of it and if you find another one you like better then sell the one you're playing and buy the one you like better. Stick with established brands--Getzen, Yamaha, Kanstul, Bach, etc. and you'll discover that depreciation for used trumpets is minimal (nothing like the depreciation on a new one). I had to pick up a decent 71 Strad (37 bell) this summer as a back up horn and I paid $1100. Guess what, as long as I don't get impatient I'll be able to sell it for that much when I no longer have a need for it. Great used horns are out there at good prices if you just don't get ahead of yourself. And remember that a lot of folks insist, "the older the brass the sweeter the sound".
    Recording Olds Trumpet (64)
    Bb MLV Strad (69) ML 37 Strad (67?) C ML Strad 236 (65)
    Couesnon Flugelhorn
    Bach Strad Bass Trumpet
    Holton T171 Alto Trumpet
    Kanstul 920 Piccolo Trumpet
    Yamaha 6610S Eb/D Trumpet
    Martin Manga Cornet (67)

Welcome to Trumpetmaster JimF! You have an enviable task ahead of you my friend. I won't waste your time with what I think you should do. The one piece of advice I will give you is this....

PLAY, PLAY, PLAY!!!! Play as many different trumpets as you can get your hands on. Then, and only then, will you find your diamond in the rough. Good luck!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

1958 Mt. Vernon, NY Bach "Stradivarius" Model Bb
    1973 Elkhart, IN Bach "72" Bb (It started life as a 37)
    1982 Elkhart, IN Bach 37 Bb
    2016 Carolbrass Bb Pocket Trumpet

1989 R. Lawler C1L
    Selmer Paris Bb/A Piccolo (Late 1960's I think)
    1985 (?) Jerome Callet Bb Flugel
    Slingerland F One-valve Bugel
    (Not 100% sure of the dates on these)
    1920 Conn Cornet (?)
    1925 King Trumpet (?)
    1947 Holton Collegiate Cornet (?)
    Conn Cavalier (Haven't found an accurate date yet)

I am fond of my Getzen (a 300 body with a different bell), but nothing beats the ease of play, tonal flexibility, centering confidence, intonation, and audience reaction of my Xeno 8335-RGS. Yamaha works best for me (and those who have to hear me - don't forget them), though personally my 1927 Conn 22B is my favorite - but it doesn't have the tonal flexibility of the Yamaha and thus does not always work for some audiences. What works for me may not work for you.

I went through a great many horns getting to what works. And along the way I often thought I knew what I wanted because I was used to it, or because someone I liked the sound of advocated it. I was wrong.

It may be that you are a Getzen player as I am a Yamaha player by nature. However, you might find that you enjoy the more forceful centering and greater inertia of a Strad (or you may hate that). You may find you prefer the richer tonal palate of a Xeno or several Kanstul options (or not). You may find you like the response of a Kanstul 1001 or the old MEHA horns (or that those are a bit to easy to crack), You might like the ability to bend and blur that comes with a Schilke B (or find you prefer stronger centering). You need to try all of these great options and see what works for you in terms of what makes you play with the sound you and your sudience prefer, and concurrently the least effort on your part, thereby allowing your focus to be on the music rather than the mechanics.

By the way, my Yamaha euphonium is a 1975, has been my main horn all these years, and the valves are still perfect (oil is important !!)

Try them all and decide for yourself - don't listen to us!
    Last edited by OldSchoolEuph; 01-04-2017 at 09:31 AM. Reason: add valve quality
    Dennis78 and True Tone like this.
    Trumpet: 2000 Xeno 8335RGS, 1927 Conn 22B NYS, 2009 Bach MLV 72G (25)
    Euphonium: 1965 Besson baritone, 1975 Yamaha YEP-321, 1985 YEP-621
    Trombone: 1975 Olds Recording R-20
    MP: Schilke 17d4d & 53

www.trumpet-history.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information