Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Horns Discuss new trumpet? in the Equipment forums; i have a bach tr300 right now and i am ready to get a professional one. i looked around and ...

new trumpet?

i have a bach tr300 right now and i am ready to get a professional one. i looked around and they were pricey. What would be a good one? also, i am using my school's Dynasty. is that a good one to play on?

Re: new trumpet?

First of all, Welcome to TM! I know you'll like it here.

Secondly, I take it that you are in high school (please correct me if I'm wrong). Honestly, your TR300 will serve you well until college. But, if you are dead set on getting a professional model, the Bach Strad is pretty much the standard for the high school/college student and many professionals themselves.

Other good quality brands would be Yamaha (look at the Xeno series), Schilke, or Conn (Vintage One).

I recomend Dillon's Music if you are going to buy online, by the way.

Hope this helps
    Bennett Konstans

Bach Strad 37 Bb, 618XXX (11/14/2004)
    Yamaha Xeno C 8445GS, 494XXX (3/21/2009)
    Yamaha 4335GS, 869XXX (6/10/2009)
    GR mpcs, Torpedo Bags, Leather Specialties, and Ultra Pure.
    More soon to come

thank you
    im in middle school and my band director told me to get a professional trumpet. he is known very well and he knows what he is talking about. well this dynasty is a professional marching trumpet for marching band.

Oh yes, I forgot to answer that question.

I have researched Dynasty trumpets and by all acounts they seem like good horns. It is definatly a decent horn and should last you a long time.
    Bennett Konstans

Bach Strad 37 Bb, 618XXX (11/14/2004)
    Yamaha Xeno C 8445GS, 494XXX (3/21/2009)
    Yamaha 4335GS, 869XXX (6/10/2009)
    GR mpcs, Torpedo Bags, Leather Specialties, and Ultra Pure.
    More soon to come

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by bkonstans1 View Post
    The Bach Strad is pretty much the standard for the high school/college student and many professionals themselves.

Other good quality brands would be Yamaha (look at the Xeno series), Schilke, or Conn (Vintage One).
    I second this, but will also say that any of the other companies owned by Conn-Selmer (including Bach) also make very good higher level horns. Bach Strads are great, so are the Xenos. These are the only one's I've tried.

But the best horn for you is the one you like best, so try several at a local music store "if possible." Then decide which one to buy (even if you plan to buy online).
    "If you're not improving, you're falling behind." - My Trumpet Teacher, Steve
    ------------------------------------
    Horns
    Bach Strad 37 - Wedge 3C w/ L backbore
    Bach TR300
    Conn Director Cornet
    Olds Ambassador Fullerton Trombone - Bach 6-1/2 C

Lawler'sa re nice too. That newish Lawler E looks like a good deal.

LAWLER TRUMPETS INC.

I would also suggest some vintage horns. Though they are skyrocketting in price olds Recordings and the higher level horns are nice. Same goes for the higher level Conn horns (Connquest, Victor/Artist). The Kings I hear are nice and Martins are overly expensive at this point and honestly really jazz horns.

Also Getzen makes good horns and he prowls around here from time to time. If you ask a question of him. He will sometimes respond (and a very nice guy to boot).

However, I dont really think that a professional horn is needed until high school or college. (high school if you are really serious about it).

Also!

I would like to tell you one very important thing. Never listen to your band director. Realize that he is runnign a band and by asking you to get a new horn he is making a play to what he thinks will get a b etter sound. Band directors are infamous for being greedy and getting everythign wrong. Get a private teacher and ask him what he thinks. You dont want to knwo the stories some of my private teachers have told me of kids who listened to there band directors and the bad habbits they aquiered because of it.
    "I'll play it and tell you what it is later." - Miles Davis
    "Do not fear mistakes. There are none." - Miles Davis

Trumpets:
    TR300 Bach [marching horn]
    Big Apple Bach Strad (ML)

Cornets:
    1952 Olds Ambassador L.A

Mouthpiece: Curry 5c, Olds 3 (for the cornet atm)

MJ
    Administrator Fortissimo User MJ's Avatar

If your band director is "known very well" and "knows what he is talking about" what has he told you to get?

Quote Originally Posted by trotter14 View Post
    he is known very well and he knows what he is talking about.

I would suggest you take private lessons from a University level trumpet teacher. Find several teachers and switch every year through 9th grade. Pick the one you thought the best for you your sophomore year and stick with him or her. That gives you three years under one teacher you like. I emphasize YOU like. Finally, find out what he/she plays and ask questions. Play before you pay.
    Last edited by stchasking; 06-22-2008 at 10:48 PM.
    "I was performing professionally at age 17 and have never had a real job." Allen Vizzutti

http://cdbaby.com/cd/mcking

Forte User

[QUOTE=note360;376795]Lawler'sa re nice too. That newish Lawler E looks like a good deal.

LAWLER TRUMPETS INC.

I would also suggest some vintage horns. Though they are skyrocketting in price olds Recordings and the higher level horns are nice. Same goes for the higher level Conn horns (Connquest, Victor/Artist). The Kings I hear are nice and Martins are overly expensive at this point and honestly really jazz horns.

Also Getzen makes good horns and he prowls around here from time to time. If you ask a question of him. He will sometimes respond (and a very nice guy to boot).

However, I dont really think that a professional horn is needed until high school or college. (high school if you are really serious about it).

I find no fault with the first two paragraphs of this posting, BUT, I have a real problem with the statement about a "pro grade horn" not being needed until high school. I have had several students that had progressed far enough by the 7th grade that a pro grade horn was absolutely an imperitive. I am currently working with a 13 year old girl that plays easily far above most top high schoolers. She got a Zeno two years ago to replace her Ambassador. The difference was atounding. 'Becca' needed that Zeno!!

OLDLOU>>
    Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles