Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Horns Discuss New Trumpet in the Equipment forums; So I've been playing on an intermediate level horn for about 3 years now (this is my 7th year playing) ...

New Trumpet

So I've been playing on an intermediate level horn for about 3 years now (this is my 7th year playing) and now that I'm playing in college, its been suggested to me that I look into getting some professional equipment (an idea which I have no problem with).

On that note, in about a year I'm looking to find a new Bb. I've already had a few suggestions from my teacher and peers, but I also know that all but a few are concentrating on classical style music, and I personally play a large quantity of jazz in addition to classical.

I know that the best thing I can do is try out horns, but I want to see what the general consensus is regarding my wants, so I'm not trial-and-erroring so many different trumpets.

That being said, I'm looking for a horn with a somewhat darker sound (but it doesn't have to be the darkest), probably ML-L bore range (I've tried a few smaller bores, not a huge fan, but hey, I could be surprised). I'd like a trumpet with a tone that can fit all styles, light and fluffy at times, broad and dark at others, or straight away peeling the paint if need be. I know much of this comes from the player as well, but the horn can not be disregarded completely, as far as efficiency is concerned. The full range of the trumpet is in concern here, low Gb to High G (above high C), if not higher.

Ones I know I will potentially look at are:
    Yamaha Xeno, and potentially among some more specialized
    Bach Stradivarius
    Conn Constellation (both 36B and 38B)

I have no particular favoritism for brands, I'll play a good Getzen or Schilke, too. These models just pop out off the top of my head.

All suggestions are welcome! I know that most of you have played many, many more horns than me, so feel free to post!
    Mark Kindy - University of Florida
    Life is like a trumpet - if you don't put anything into it, you don't get anything out of it. --
    William Christopher Handy
    Edwards Gen II - Bach 3C, Asymmetric Lead/Schlike 13a4a Heavyweight

Re: New Trumpet

Hi Mark,
    Have you tried one of Scott Wilson's Gerhard Baier trumpets. They are excellent horns and very adaptable to different styles of music with mouthpiece changes. Small gear for jazz and something a little larger for blending with the section.
    Tom Hodges
    1921 Conn Victor New Wonder
    1923 Conn 22B New York Symphony
    1946 Conn 80A
    1949 Conn 36A Concert Grand
    1949 Conn 2B New World Symphony
    1958 Conn 18A Director coprion
    1966 Conn 28A Connstellation

Mark, there are just as many opinions as there are trumpets. I like Getzens. I have a Xeno but my Getzen treats me better. Be sure to try the upper end models and check their website for the specifics of all the models. Play as many brands as you can find and one will stand out as the one for you. Have fun and good luck.
    Larry tscharner!
    M J Klashen The Yankee 1920's
    Olds Ambassador Cornet 1955

Olds Super Trumpet 1966
    Yamaha 8335 Xeno 2008
    Getzen 900s Eterna Classic 2009

Quote Originally Posted by harleyt26 View Post
    Hi Mark,
    Have you tried one of Scott Wilson's Gerhard Baier trumpets. They are excellent horns and very adaptable to different styles of music with mouthpiece changes. Small gear for jazz and something a little larger for blending with the section.
    Lol. Actually Scott Wilson is my jazz director. Funny coincidence.

I haven't tried one yet, but perhaps I will!

As well, Larry thanks for your input and well wishes. I'm really excited to begin my search for a horn that really feels like me!
    Life is like a trumpet - if you don't put anything into it, you don't get anything out of it. --

Banned Fortissimo User

Hi Mark, I think you should try out a Bach 72 lightweight bell, marked with a star or *. It gets better if you put a reversed 43 leadpipe on it but that is just me.
    I have played one of Scott Wilson's trumpets, not super amazing and it is on the bright side.

Quote Originally Posted by codyb226 View Post
    Hi Mark, I think you should try out a Bach 72 lightweight bell, marked with a star or *. It gets better if you put a reversed 43 leadpipe on it but that is just me.
    I have played one of Scott Wilson's trumpets, not super amazing and it is on the bright side.
    I will look at it, what brings this particular model to mind?

And yeah, if its bright I'd rather not have it (scott's model). I can make any horn bright with ease, hard to make one darker though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Kindy View Post
    So I've been playing on an intermediate level horn for about 3 years now (this is my 7th year playing) and now that I'm playing in college, its been suggested to me that I look into getting some professional equipment (an idea which I have no problem with).

On that note, in about a year I'm looking to find a new Bb. I've already had a few suggestions from my teacher and peers, but I also know that all but a few are concentrating on classical style music, and I personally play a large quantity of jazz in addition to classical.

I know that the best thing I can do is try out horns, but I want to see what the general consensus is regarding my wants, so I'm not trial-and-erroring so many different trumpets.

That being said, I'm looking for a horn with a somewhat darker sound (but it doesn't have to be the darkest), probably ML-L bore range (I've tried a few smaller bores, not a huge fan, but hey, I could be surprised). I'd like a trumpet with a tone that can fit all styles, light and fluffy at times, broad and dark at others, or straight away peeling the paint if need be. I know much of this comes from the player as well, but the horn can not be disregarded completely, as far as efficiency is concerned. The full range of the trumpet is in concern here, low Gb to High G (above high C), if not higher.

Ones I know I will potentially look at are:
    Yamaha Xeno, and potentially among some more specialized
    Bach Stradivarius
    Conn Constellation (both 36B and 38B)

I have no particular favoritism for brands, I'll play a good Getzen or Schilke, too. These models just pop out off the top of my head.

All suggestions are welcome! I know that most of you have played many, many more horns than me, so feel free to post!
    If/when you find that trumpet, let us know. Thats the one we are ALL looking for!!

Seriously, you should look at the high end Getzens or Edwards trumpets. Edwards lets you "make/mix and match" your own horn.

Edwards doesn't get a lot of attention but it may be worth your time to check them out.

Edwards : Trumpets
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Banned Fortissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Kindy View Post
    I will look at it, what brings this particular model to mind?

The Bach 72 is a good trumpet with a dark tone that is great for jazz and concert. With a lightweight bell you make the horn very responsive and have that great tone. The 43 leadpipe is very free blowing and I feel it is the best Bach combo. Try one out before you decide on a horn.

Toby, I've never heard of the Edwards, but I'll give them a good look. And I've been starting to think about Getzens, because of the good valve action. I've always been looking for silky valves. I know I can always count on you for a good response, so thanks! And of course, I'll let you know what I decide on, my "ideal horn" haha.

Cody, that sounds like a good candidate. And of course, it's always a good idea to check before I play, I appreciate the reminder!

A Bach 72 has already been recommended but I would like to suggest the horn I've been using for over 40 years as my do it all horn. A Bach 72 bell with a MLV (Medium Large Vindabona) bore. It's a step bore horn but blows pretty open. Not as dark as an Olds Recording nor as bright as a Schilke B6 it gets to both ends of the spectrum well. Mine prefers a mouthpiece with a tight backbore and cup depth really effects the ability to shape your sound--so you might keep that in mind if you play one. Your experience may, of course, differ. Anyway have fun, play everything and don't make up your mind too soon.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information