Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Horns Discuss OK, I gotta hear your thoughts on this "B" USA trumpet I bought. in the Equipment forums; So I know it is a beginner trumpet.., but I am re-learning how to play,after 32 years of down time. ...

OK, I gotta hear your thoughts on this "B" USA trumpet I bought.

So I know it is a beginner trumpet.., but I am re-learning how to play,after 32 years of down time. I was pretty good back in the day, but I was told that work is more important than blowing a horn,, so off to work I went. I bought this one at a pawn shop for $140, and I see them on the internet for around $159. so I did OK I guess.

It has a great sound, but the valves were stuck like a duck.., in the mud when I bought it. After much cleaning., and elbow grease, they now have pretty good action. It has been 3 months since I bought it. ,and I am getting pretty good at "Feels so good" by Chuck Mangione. The range and duration are quick to go.., after about 20 mins.., so I guess thats why they call it practice.

I have about 5 mouthpieces, but the one that does it for me right now is the Giardinelli 6B. i thoght maybe I would go bigger, but the range suffers greatly. So, I would like some feedback, but go easy on me please.??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: OK, I gotta hear your thoughts on this "B" USA trumpet I bought.

Always glad to greet a comeback player, being one myself. I expect that "B" horn is better than you are right now, but that'll change over time. I'd say that you should play it until it holds you back. I'm a few months into my own return to the trumpet and I've bought several horns that are FAR beyond my current talent, for no operational reason other than the fact that they make me happy. I practice more than I otherwise might just because I love playing them. So, are you inclined to follow your head, or follow your heart?

Mezzo Forte User

The most important thing about a begginer horn is not tone...projection...it's valves...If the valves work fast and give you what you need then keep it. But there is only one horn that does everything and then some for less money and that is the Olds Ambassador...But I think the Buescher Aristocrat can compete with the best...
    VetPsychWars likes this.

Definetely following the Heart, as the voices in my head tell me I can't do anything right. I had a weird feeling one day and it led me to that pawn shop, and there I was standing in front of this horn, and I had to buy it.
    Wow, small world.., as I see that you are in the same #$#@@ town I am in!!! Go Spurs.., huh! So, yea, this "B" USA horn still needs more work in the valve area..., I had to stretch the springs a little to get good return but it actually sounds better than the Holton Collegiate that I played back in Lee High school. We were the best in the U.S .., (Lee high school jazz band 1978/79 year.) I actually got to play on stage at the Grand ole opry!!! ( I was only 3rd chair.) Currently, with this 6B mouthpiece, I can get upper register pretty good.., all the way to C clearly for a good 20 mins or so.

So where is a good place to gig in this town?? I have only been playing for 3 months, so I can only play for like 20 mins, and then the lip starts to leave me. Maybe you can give me some pointers on where to get some good/cheap lessons??
    Thanks for the encouraging words!!
    Last edited by applianceguy; 05-23-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Lots of biz travel is keeping me away from lessons right now, but it's on my "to do" list. In the mean time it's long tones, embouchure work, and trying to get the breathing just right. I haven't found the perfect trumpet gig joint in our fair city... Anybody else know of the ideal horn joint in San Antonio?

So I cleaned the horn again today.., and the valves sure are smooth,and fast after a good thorough cleaning. This horn sure is pretty.., but it is like a whore in a pretty red dress!!! It is very appealing, and sexy, but it gets filthy, really fast, and needs to be cleaned real good, like once a week. What a high maintenance ..,cheap date!! I should call it a ....,,, wait for it...,,,

WHORN!!

p.s.., I am now adding the long tones into my practice routine..., thanks, I was doing them, but I was getting lax w/it. It helps to build duration.

Thanks again!
    ConnDirectorFan and Bauerbear like this.

... forehead slap...
    ConnDirectorFan likes this.

This "B" USA is up for sale. I

I was able to procure me a Yamaha 2335 today.

That's a good upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by jiarby View Post
    That's a good upgrade!
    Thanks!!

I paid only 150 for the Yamaha!!

I forgot to mention, I bought a Stomvi Forte on e bay awhile back, for 625 used. Made in Spain. Excellent condition, and it is only 12 years old, and it looks like it was stored for 10 of them.

That.., My friend, was the upgrade!! It is a dream, but now, I want to practice on something a little better than the B USA.

Actually, the B USA is a good horn!!

I get no respect from my fellow horn players at Church, and I get razzed about it. So, now that I have this Yamaha, I feel WORTHY!!

The B USA has a lot of man hours spent on it, in cleaning the slides, and valves, and it has awesome action now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information