Horns Discuss olds ambassador cornet in the Equipment forums; Hey, I was thinking of buying an olds ambassador cornet on ebay. I've heard that some cornets sound mellow and ...
    Pianissimo User

olds ambassador cornet

Hey, I was thinking of buying an olds ambassador cornet on ebay. I've heard that some cornets sound mellow and some sound like a trumpet. Does any one know how this cornet sounds. I would try it but most music shops in my area do not sell this type of cornet.

Piano User

Re: olds ambassador cornet

Hi,

I have an LA Ambassador cornet. I use a Curry 3DC with it and I get a less edgy or trumpety sound. The early LA Ambassadors used a lager shank mouthpiece and if you want to try different mouthpieces with it you will run into some mouthpiece/receiver fit challenges. The valves are super and the sound is quite good for concert band or dixieland; not so much for brass band though.

Cheers,

Brian
    "Swift Current - where we're neither swift nor current"

New Friend

I use my Olds Ambassador Cornet (Fullerton made) for Dixieland and all gigs except where my trumpet is required. Need to use the 3rd valve slide for our low D and C sharp, but it's just a good, all around horn. To me it just feels good to play jazz with it.
    TOM

Bach Strad LT180S-37
    Yamaha YCR 6330S
    Olds Ambassador Cornet- Fullerton

"I can teach you everything, Sonny, except how to ask for money." - LOUIS MAGGIO

Quote Originally Posted by mlrenick View Post
    Hey, I was thinking of buying an olds ambassador cornet on ebay. I've heard that some cornets sound mellow and some sound like a trumpet. Does any one know how this cornet sounds. I would try it but most music shops in my area do not sell this type of cornet.
    I've owned an Ambassador cornet and can tell you that the sound tends to be on the bright side of the cornet tonal spectrum. The tone can be influenced further by mouthpiece selection--if you use a cornet version of a standard trumpet mouthpiece model such as a Bach 7C, it's going to sound much like a trumpet. You really need something with a very deep cup to take the trumpet-like edge away from the Ambassador's tone, such as the Schilke 8E2 (which I play and find satisfactory) or the Bach 5V.

Bach describes its non-letter-suffix models, such as the commonly-found 7, as having a deep cup, but in my experience they just aren't nearly deep enough to deliver a proper cornet tone in an Ambassador.
    Ursa's collection...
    TRUMPETS: Holton Type II Super Collegiate, King Silver Flair (pre-UMI)
    CORNETS: Olds Ambassador; Blessing XL-CR; Holton Collegiate
    LOW BRASS: Conn 6E New Wonder Eb Alto Horn; Conn 4D Artist F/Eb "French" Horn; Yamaha YEP-321S Euphonium; Indiana Band Instrument Co. EEb Sousaphone; Holton 6/4 EEb Tuba

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by toms@rockisland View Post
    I use my Olds Ambassador Cornet (Fullerton made) for Dixieland and all gigs except where my trumpet is required. Need to use the 3rd valve slide for our low D and C sharp, but it's just a good, all around horn. To me it just feels good to play jazz with it.
    do you have to throw the 3rd valve slide out all the way for the Ds and C#s on yours?
    1952 Olds Studio Bb
    1949 Olds Super Bb
    1950 Olds Ambassador Bb
    2007 Jupiter Tribune Bb
    1995 Conn 86B C
    2000 Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn

Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
    the Bach 5V.
    I have one one of those beasts and let me tell you, it's a bear to play but you can make a TRUMPET sound like a mellophone. In fact, I put it on my two-valve Olds Ultratone and now that thing howls. It's a funnel, straight up. I wish they made it in a 1 rim. I would throw a nickel down it and see if it spiraled inward like those big yellow venturis that charities use.

All kidding aside, a 5MV is a more moderate option.
    2006 Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS
    1987 Conn 100B "Doc Severinsen"
    1946 Conn 22B "New York Symphony"
    1927 Conn 6A

New Friend

Dear ogauge 47,
    The slide only has to go out 3/8 of an inch or so.
    TOM

Bach Strad LT180S-37
    Yamaha YCR 6330S
    Olds Ambassador Cornet- Fullerton

"I can teach you everything, Sonny, except how to ask for money." - LOUIS MAGGIO

Quote Originally Posted by operagost View Post
    I have one one of those beasts and let me tell you, it's a bear to play but you can make a TRUMPET sound like a mellophone. In fact, I put it on my two-valve Olds Ultratone and now that thing howls. It's a funnel, straight up. I wish they made it in a 1 rim. I would throw a nickel down it and see if it spiraled inward like those big yellow venturis that charities use.

All kidding aside, a 5MV is a more moderate option.
    Nobody ever said these deep pieces were especially easy to play. In addition to the Schilke 8E2, I have a Blessing copy of the Wick 4B, which is much deeper than the 8E2 and probably the Bach 5V as well. Both the 8E2 and the 4B will wear me out quick if my technique isn't flawless. But, the extra work is well worth it. Both pieces deliver a sweet, characteristic cornet tone with exceptional clarity. Unfortunately, the Wick 4B (and the Blessing copy) is not made in long shank for American cornets, so it won't fit properly on an Olds.

Back when I played my Ambassador in high school, I mostly played it with a Bach 7CW. So equipped, it sounded like a big-bore trumpet...and could generate some seriously high dynamics. Playing fff on this setup, one could lay waste to an entire section of student-line trumpets.
    Ursa's collection...
    TRUMPETS: Holton Type II Super Collegiate, King Silver Flair (pre-UMI)
    CORNETS: Olds Ambassador; Blessing XL-CR; Holton Collegiate
    LOW BRASS: Conn 6E New Wonder Eb Alto Horn; Conn 4D Artist F/Eb "French" Horn; Yamaha YEP-321S Euphonium; Indiana Band Instrument Co. EEb Sousaphone; Holton 6/4 EEb Tuba

Fortissimo User

You can't go wrong buying an Olds cornet. They are not terribly expensive and any player who wants to claim a certain level of experience has to play an Olds at some point so you might as well do it now. The only problem is they are like potato chips - nobody can stop at just one.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Thread Information