Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
Horns Discuss Olds Ambassador early Fullerton vs Getzen 300L for band student in the Equipment forums; I am currently bidding on an Old Ambassador Fullerton trumpet for my 6th grade daughter. It claims to be a ...
    New Friend

Olds Ambassador early Fullerton vs Getzen 300L for band student

I am currently bidding on an Old Ambassador Fullerton trumpet for my 6th grade daughter. It claims to be a '58 and has a serial number of 258038. Based on my research, that seems right, and the trumpet itself appears to be in great shape, minus a missing pinky hook/pinkie ring. It even has the green felts. I hope to close out the auction at no more than 200$.

My other option is a refurbished getzen 300L, which has been play tested for 300$.

Two questions: Which would you consider a better choice? And would it be considered worthwhile to go over 200$ (if necessary) to get the Olds if it was the better option?

Thanks to any and all who reply.

Re: Olds Ambassador early Fullerton vs Getzen 300L for band student

Life is going to be hard for your daughter for the minus the pinky hook Ambassador, a good repair shop should fabricate one for you...
    tobylou8 and True Tone like this.
    Attention:
    Constant N+1 & N-1 in progress

This message was created using 100% recycled electrons.

New Friend

Oh yeah, we would definitely get a pinky ring, which why that wasn't an issue in purchasing said trumpet.

Quote Originally Posted by nicsflyingcircus View Post
    I am currently bidding on an Old Ambassador Fullerton trumpet for my 6th grade daughter. It claims to be a '58 and has a serial number of 258038. Based on my research, that seems right, and the trumpet itself appears to be in great shape, minus a missing pinky hook/pinkie ring. It even has the green felts. I hope to close out the auction at no more than 200$.

My other option is a refurbished getzen 300L, which has been play tested for 300$.

Two questions: Which would you consider a better choice? And would it be considered worthwhile to go over 200$ (if necessary) to get the Olds if it was the better option?

Thanks to any and all who reply.
    Without seeing the specific horns, it's hard to say. But in general, I would say that an Ambassador in good condition could be worth $100 to $200, but there are many variables that might change that.

The Getzen 300 is another good horn to consider. You can also search eBay for completed listings to see what they've recently sold for, to see if $300 is a reasonable price.

Also, I purchased my 1957 Ambassador without a 3rd valve slide ring. I replaced it with a generic ring for less than $10.

There are a lot of over-priced horns on eBay. And there are a lot of over-statements, too. For example, what does it mean to "refurbish" a horn? If the horn is selling for $300, I'd suspect they didn't do that much "refurbishing".

Since you asked, one option to consider is to work with someone you know or someone you can trust. If your daughter is in the band, maybe her band director can help.

Mike
    True Tone likes this.
    Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 3C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Curry 3FL Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, and Besson horns.

Lots of Ammassadors out there. Built like tanks, really good horns. I think the important think to ask - do the slides "POP" when pulled all the way out. This would be a good indication that the valves are in good shape, not too worn.

I just got an Ambassador cornet on Ebay. It is now at Charlie Melks for a few months. Charlie is going to turn this horn into a spetacular piece.

Good luck with bidding.

Kevin
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1957 Olds Recording
    1946 Olds Super LA (Brass Tone Ring)

1972 Olds Super Star
    1973 LA Benge 3x
    1925 Conn New York Symphony 22B
    A
    CB Doubler's Flugel

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetMD View Post
    Without seeing the specific horns, it's hard to say. But in general, I would say that an Ambassador in good condition could be worth $100 to $200, but there are many variables that might change that.

The Getzen 300 is another good horn to consider. You can also search eBay for completed listings to see what they've recently sold for, to see if $300 is a reasonable price.

Also, I purchased my 1957 Ambassador without a 3rd valve slide ring. I replaced it with a generic ring for less than $10.

There are a lot of over-priced horns on eBay. And there are a lot of over-statements, too. For example, what does it mean to "refurbish" a horn? If the horn is selling for $300, I'd suspect they didn't do that much "refurbishing".

Since you asked, one option to consider is to work with someone you know or someone you can trust. If your daughter is in the band, maybe her band director can help.

Mike
    I am working with her private instructor, he is the one who recommended (in general) both the Olds Ambassador and the getzen student series trumpets. The market on used trumpets that we can actually lay our hands on where we live is sparse, hence e-bay and hope.
    TrumpetMD and True Tone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nicsflyingcircus View Post
    I am working with her private instructor, he is the one who recommended (in general) both the Olds Ambassador and the getzen student series trumpets. The market on used trumpets that we can actually lay our hands on where we live is sparse, hence e-bay and hope.
    Thanks for the additional information. An alternative to eBay might be a trusted online dealer. There are several out there. One that I've used before, and who has a good reputation here on TM, is Trent Austin of Austin Custom Brass. He has lots of used horns, and would be a trusted person to consider if the eBay options don't work out.

Mike
    Kevin Whiting and True Tone like this.
    Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 3C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Curry 3FL Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, and Besson horns.

The Getzen sounds like the obvious choice to me. It's been refurbished and play tested. The Ambassador is very old
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Getting it done these days with a cr310 and a very old Holton

I have Olds and Getzen horns. I love my Ambassador. I like spaghetti. Get the Ambassador.
    1940 Olds Super Recording
    1946 Martin Committee
    1953 Olds Recording (LA)
    1961 Getzen Power Bore P90
    1965 Olds Ambassador
    1967 Olds Recording (Fullerton)
    1973 Getzen 4 Valve Eterna Flugelhorn
    2012 Kanstul 4 Valve 1526 Flugelhorn
    2014 Allora Pocket Trumpet

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by gmonady View Post
    I have Olds and Getzen horns. I love my Ambassador. I like spaghetti. Get the Ambassador.

Well, I lost this particular Ambassador because I'm not going over 200$ on something I might have to have repaired/refurbished. Debating now whether to offer back at 275$ for the play-tested getzen or keep looking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information