Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Horns Discuss Olds trumpet in the Equipment forums; I just purchased an Olds trumpet but am confused. It has Olds Elkart, Ind. USA stamped on the bell but ...
    Pianissimo User

Olds trumpet

I just purchased an Olds trumpet but am confused. It has Olds Elkart, Ind. USA stamped on the bell but no model number. The serial number is 581230 but also has the number na10mu on the leadpipe by the mouthpiece. Can anybody tell me anything about this horn? I thought Olds were made in Fullerton or L.A. CA. Also why no model number?

Re: Olds trumpet

Not really an Olds. They stopped making them in 1979. What you have is made by a company that bought the name. They make them in Elkhart I think.
    (Above/left) Alexanders ragtime band-circa 1960

Chalmers Big and Tall midwest sales district credit card division

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
    Mark Twain
    "Strive to have enemies that define you"

Pianissimo User

I was afraid of that. A couple of slides and all bottom valve caps are stuck. And the valves need a good cleaning. Do you know anthing about the Co.? It looks like a student horn. I paid $125. for it sight unseen. Is it worth getting it serviced or do I just chalk it up to experience? Or any ideas how I can get the caps and slides unstuck on my own?

Do a search here at TM on unsticking slides and caps. Heat and cold can be useful, Powerful Blaster is a penetrating, loosening-up spray which is helpful, and most easy is a trip to the shop where a good tech can do all of that and not charge much.
    It is worth it since you've already invested $125. Another $25 or so should take care of it. If you are a student, then it's a decent price for a beginning horn.

Banned Mezzo Piano User

Well you could have gotten a real Olds Ambasador in good-great condition for that type of money. I would say just chalk it up to a learning experince. Unstick the slides and play it and see what you have. At best it is not going to be the gem that the Old LA and Fullerton California Ambasadors and such where. With the older ones made in California they even thugh the Ambasador was marketed as a student model they often played onpar with an intermediate level trumpet. Many great custom horns have been built from them because the Olds had insanely good valves especialy the LA models.

So if you donot need another student horn keep it in your trunk. When you go on long fligts take it apart and put it in with your carry one or take it in a soft gig bag!!! I mean if you are going to dent something up might as well be a horn that did not set you back much right!

The pro models of Olds just so you know where "Specials,Super Sonic,Ultra Sonic,Menendez,Recording etc............The Ambasador was a student model but it is widely held as the best student model trumpet ever mass produced in insanely large volumes!

Now as to what this thing is play it and tell us what you think every company has a few student models that sneak out of the factor sounding better then they should!!!Maybeyou got one!! It is not like they do not know how to build trumpets in Elkhart!!!

Pianissimo User

Thanks for the info. I am an old retired guy that has only been playing a few months and a new member. Even the water keys( the round type with no trigger) are stuck. I don't want to sink additional money into this thing. I think I will just try to unstick everything myself and just resale it at a loss.

Forte User

[QUOTE=dwp63;412880]Thanks for the info. I am an old retired guy that has only been playing a few months and a new member.

WELCOME!!! We need more "old guys" here. As an example, I will be 73 YOA in April. I could stand more of "the wisdom of the aged".

Even the water keys( the round type with no trigger) are stuck.

These are Amado water valves. In my considered opinion, they are a nuisance. If you do not have a pair of mini Circlip pliars, DO NOT attempt to take one of them apart. Extremely tiny pieces will be projected to some unfindable location by the internal spring.

I don't want to sink additional money into this thing. I think I will just try to unstick everything myself and just resale it at a loss.

A can of P.B.Blaster from Pep Boys Auto Supply and a good bit of patience will 'eventually' free everything up. After you get all functioning as it was designed, a few toots to determine its intrinsic value might be a good idea. You just might elect to keep it for awhile.

OLDLOU>>
    Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

yes, you've got to be careful with olds. after the company folded in '79 the name became simply that, just a name.

do a search on here about olds, there's plenty of information. if you have more specific questions feel free to pm me, i can help you.

finding an olds is all based on the serial number. anything below #300000 is what you want to look for. anything below #200000 is a much sought after horn, as these are the horns manufactured in their la plant and are the horns that really gave olds their reputation.
    Ed Con...

1890's (est) LeFever "691" Cornet
    1910 Grand Rapids Inst. Co. "USA Line" Baritone
    1920's (est) Harwood "Artist Solo Model" Cornet
    1954 Olds (LA) "Ambassador" Cornet
    1956 Olds (EF) "Ambassador" Trumpet
    1989 Selmer "Bundy" Trumpet
    2007 Kanstul "KSB100" 3-Valve Bugle

"Villains always have antidotes... they're funny that way. "

Banned Mezzo Piano User

I watched an nice Olds Ambasador go for about $40 last night on ebay. Mechanicaly it looked tight it had some finish issues you know the regular freekles they get with age and use. As much as I like the Old's Ambasdor right now I am hunting something specific so I had to let her go! I would like to get one some day though and restore because they are the cat's meow of student horns. When looking on ebay if you cannot do the work yourself make sure the slides all pull and the valves are decent. Some people will pull all the slides and take shots of the valves and thisis very helpful.

How much are youlooking to spend and what are you looking for a student model, intemediate or pro model? ANy vintage or name brand you like?

Pianissimo User

Lou. I don't know what type of wisdom I am going to add since I am a beginner. Thanks for everybody's advice. I decided to try to unstick everything using all this advice and today I have a working trumpet. Looks good too. Didn't screw anything up.The sound also appears pretty good, but at this stage of playing, I'm not sure I would have good intonation on any horn. I guess I will keep it until I find a good deal on a "real" Olds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information