Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Horns Discuss Opinions on this Bach TR 300 trumpet? in the Equipment forums; I know it is ebay buyer, beware, but I wanted to ask.... Despite veery's good advice re the Yamaha trumpet ...
    New Friend

Cool Opinions on this Bach TR 300 trumpet?

I know it is ebay buyer, beware, but I wanted to ask....
    Despite veery's good advice re the Yamaha trumpet for my 13 year old middle school son, his music instructor prefers the Bach. So what do I need to check out if I pursue this trumpet on ebay which didn't sell:
    Bach Selmer TR 300 Student Trumpet GREAT CONDITION - eBay (item 380096515908 end time Jan-15-09 12:52:38 PST)

Re: Opinions on this Bach TR 300 trumpet?

Welcome to the forum! You are kind of in a familiar limbo that many are in , conflicting pressures for one trumpet or another, which many not have anything to do with the actual nature of the instrument. The TR300 has been around for a long time, built for durability and there are many good used ones out there, as you have seen. It is not necessarily perilous to use ebay if you do your research, examine photos carefully for signs of damages, especially for those not mentioned by the seller and examine the seller's ratings. It would be adequate for the middle school experience and beyond. There are a lot of TH members who now, or have played them and will hopefully chime in. You may feel it is wise to appease the director at this stage depending on the politics of the matter.
    The one you have looked at looks to be in fine condition and checked and played by the seller. Since it didn't sell, he might take the opening bid of $150?
    I think you are doing the right think by looking for a good used trumpet. You can usually get a fair amount back by re-selling if you eventually move up to a better instrument in the future.
    Just my ideas
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Renting isn't an option?

New Friend

Thanks for the opinions offered. Our son is at a young enough stage of musicianship that we can appease his instructor regarding the make of trumpet. Down the road we hope our son will develop his own preferences which we will be happy to follow.

With regards to renting, yes, it is an option - but after renting for 6 months we will have spent an amount equal to what we would have payed for a used trumpet. I prefer owning simply because of the intangible of ownership - a connection I can't articulate but know exists between musician and his instrument. Some of you may be a lot more eloquent about this, but I suspect you know what I mean.

As for the specific instrument I asked about, the seller is willing to entertain an offer below $150 so it seems that I could pick up the trumpet for an attractive price.

Whatever the outcome, I really, really appreciate the responses. Thank you so much.

If I could by the one listed around $150 I'd rather buy that one than rent. I usually ask the seller to pull the valves and photograph them. I don't recall what it says about slides, but if it doesn't say they all function properly I'd at least ask. I have a student with a TR300. She likes it, and it seems a good reliable beginner's horn to me.
    Glen

1953 Mt. Vernon Strad 37 Cornet
    1966 Burbank Benge Eb/D
    1975 LA Benge 3x+
    1976 Strad 37*
    1978 LA Benge C
    1980 LA Benge 3x

New Friend

Thanks for the tips about checking the valves and slides. I'm hoping this first trumpet purchase works out for us, and I'm happy to hear your student likes her horn. We'll likely buy the trumpet before the weekend is out. I'll let you all know what happens. Thanks again.

New Friend

Re: Opinions on this Bach TR 300 trumpet? Different horn...

Here's another horn:

BACH TR 300 LACQUERED BRASS TRUMPET, VERY GOOD - eBay (item 380096347431 end time Jan-18-09 20:39:53 PST)

Valves are pulled, seller deals in musical instruments. First horn may be falling through due to transaction related glitches.

TrptMom,

I glanced at the snaps. It looks like a dandy TR300. I looked at 2nd valve slide and can't see the boo-boo. Guy says "send it back" if it doesn't pass muster? Did I get that right?

Don't buy it on my say so. But for $260 seems a fair price.

Disclaimer: I've bought only 2 horns on Ebay. I'm NOT an Ebay vet.

New Friend

Thanks for the opinion, and I appreciate your posting it. Whatever happens, I'm the one who put the bid in/buys it, so no worries.

Ebay can be such a cr*pshoot-it's buyer beware, you are relying on photos on and the seller's posted info and reviews. But there's always a chance of a "find" and I hope I am one of those lucky ones.

Mezzo Piano User Brass crusader's Avatar

That last horn you posted looks pretty nice. It's odd that an instructor would "prefer" one brand of horn to another, especially at the student level. I agree with you about renting, many students today wind up spending more than a horn is worth in rental fees than outright buying one. The TR300 is a very solid horn, I've seen a lot of them.

Good Luck

p.s. That price of $259 is quite reasonable, by the way
    OAS AAS LLS
    AFM Local 400

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information