Horns Discuss Pawn Shop Kanstul in the Equipment forums; I found a silver Kanstul piccolo in a pawn shop today. It appears to have had a dent repaired in ...

Pawn Shop Kanstul

I found a silver Kanstul piccolo in a pawn shop today. It appears to have had a dent repaired in the bell and there is a small dent in the leadpipe. The valves just needed oil as they were sluggish and all but one bottom valve cap was stuck - easily fixed. Other than that, all the slides worked and the bell appeared to bend slightly downward. Is that normal for this horn. I will assume not. Anyway, the price tag on it was $1,799. which I thought to be a bit steep. Never having played one, a Kanstul that is, or even shopped for one, is that a decent price for the condition it's in?

Curious,

Roland
    "...remember that whatever you do in life, 90 percent of it is half mental." - Yogi Berra

lmf
    Forte User

Re: Pawn Shop Kanstul

Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
    I found a silver Kanstul piccolo in a pawn shop today. It appears to have had a dent repaired in the bell and there is a small dent in the leadpipe. The valves just needed oil as they were sluggish and all but one bottom valve cap was stuck - easily fixed. Other than that, all the slides worked and the bell appeared to bend slightly downward. Is that normal for this horn. I will assume not. Anyway, the price tag on it was $1,799. which I thought to be a bit steep. Never having played one, a Kanstul that is, or even shopped for one, is that a decent price for the condition it's in?

Curious,

Roland

Roland,

I don't think you can talk the pawn shop folks into dropping the price to $39, but you can try.

Just teasing!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Lloyd,

I think the proprietor would laugh me out of the store for a $39. offer. However, now that I think about it, the girl at the counter couldn't figure out why such a small trumpet could fetch such a high price no matter how new it looked. Who knows, you might be right. It might be worth a try!

I just wish I knew who pawned it. I've been living in this area for over 15 years and I thought I knew all the trumpet players around. I can't imagine ANY of them pawning a horn.

R.
    "...remember that whatever you do in life, 90 percent of it is half mental." - Yogi Berra

lmf
    Forte User

Roland,

Now that was funny!

You said:

"However, now that I think about it, the girl at the counter couldn't figure out why such a small trumpet could fetch such a high price no matter how new it looked."

Couldn't "talk the price down," ay?

Suspect these are "tough times" for lots of folks economically and the pawn shop is there to loan money. The trumpet may still be there when the owner returns to pick it up. You have to wonder how small the loan was to the owner who left it in the care of the pawn shop?

I don't think the bell is supposed to be that way, but others may know more and let you know.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Having pawned a couple things myself in the course of my life, once the item hits the sales floor, it means you have either never made a payment on it or have defaulted. If whoever pawned it wants it now he'll have to pay the shop's asking price. I lost a flugel once by being a day late on my payment. It was sad to see it hanging on the store wall. It was sold 2 days later.....albeit more than 20 years ago, still sad memories....

R.

Mezzo Piano User Brass crusader's Avatar

I'd definately try to talk the pawn shop clerk down. Point out obvious damage, and really stress the fact that it needs work. A wad of cash in your hand usually helps bring the owner down. Or, give me the address and I'll give it a shot.
    OAS AAS LLS
    AFM Local 400

I would love to talk the store manager down if I had any cash. Being a public school music teacher doesn't exactly get you rich, especially now at the end of the summer when that end of the school year cash has been gone for a month.

Seriously though, if you were coming through Daytona Beach any time in the near future you could probably get yourself a pretty good deal. Othewise Buffalo is a L O N G way to travel.

If anyone if FL is interested, I'll give you the address of the pawn shop.

R.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

Those dents in the leadpipe can really mess a horn up, and the higher the pitch, the more the damage. Price out a new leadpipe, and if it makes financial sense, go for it. If not, you'll have at least gotten the respect from a pawn-shop owner that knows you won't but junk!

Have fun!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
    Lloyd,

I just wish I knew who pawned it. I've been living in this area for over 15 years and I thought I knew all the trumpet players around. I can't imagine ANY of them pawning a horn.

R.
    Kind of makes you wonder whether it might be hot. Seriously, you'd have to believe that pawning something like a Kanstul piccolo trumpet would have to be a very rare occurence by anyone who actually owns one. On the other hand, if the burgler or backstage gig-bag snatcher just wanted some quick cash for rock or meth, a pawn shop would be the most logical place to go.

I wouldn't pay $1800 for a used, damaged horn.

Here is a NEW Yamaha for the same:
    Product: Yamaha YTR6810S Piccolo Trumpet

I am sure that if you look around, you can get something decent for $1500. That makes the damaged one attractive at $1200 ($300 for a leadpipe and some dentwork)
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information