Horns Discuss Plenty of Experience in Music, None in Trumpets : Turning to the Experts in the Equipment forums; Hello guys, I have been playing music for the last six years, seriously for two. I played baritone in 7th ...
    New Friend

Question Plenty of Experience in Music, None in Trumpets : Turning to the Experts

Hello guys,

I have been playing music for the last six years, seriously for two. I played baritone in 7th & 8th grade, french horn in 9th & 10th grade (didn't go so well) took to the tuba like a fish to water in 11th & 12th grade and taught myself some trombone in that period too. I found myself loving and playing the tuba daily and becoming a real musician. Now, I realize that I can't live without music. Much to my dismay, but hardly to my surprise, I realized that I cannot afford my own tuba. This is why I am turning to the trumpet and to you.

As a first year university student (not music, political science, in case you where wondering), I don't really have much of a budget to spend on an instrument. I know a fair bit about tubas, but since I don't recall as much as ever blowing in a friends trumpet, I cannot say as much about it. I need (or think I do) an upper-intermediate to pro level horn. I am basing this on the speed of my tuba progress and the fact that I am acquainted to all aspects of brass playing: I listen to classical music every day, I should be able to create a good buzz and tell if the instrument is out of tune.

I was wondering, with all the options available to me, what used horn should I look for (I was thinking rotary for whatever reason) and how much I should set aside (please say 600-800$... ).

I think that is all for now, it's probably better that you ask questions if you need to, to receive pertinent information. Thank you for your time.

Pianissimo User

Re: Plenty of Experience in Music, None in Trumpets : Turning to the Experts

600-800 you wont be getting out that easily mhuuhahahahahahahahaha
    Bach Stradivarius Trumpet
    Yamaha Xeno Cornet
    YFH-8310Z Flugel Horn
    YTR-6445H C Trumpet

First of all, welcome. Second of all 600-800 dollars will buy you a wonderful USED professional horn. Dillonmusic, located in New Jersey (they have a site) is one of the best places for a used professional horn . For 600-800 dollars you can buy a 1970's vintage Benge MLP. A king silver flair. Some great Kanstul large bore horns (good for chamber and classical music especially with a berrylium bell). You may even get lucky and find yourself a couesnon or courtois large bore horn. If you will advance quickly, then i suggest you spend the whole 800 and go for a nicer horn. Also, if you are a tuba player by trade then you may be drawn to large bore horns (simple comfort factor). The tuba is a huge instrument, so a larger bore horn may suite you. In which case i would look at a Kanstul chicago series, a getzen Eterna (if you can find one) or maybe a used schilke B or X series horn. You have the advantage of already having brass chops so you will probably do very well.
    An old bull and a young bull are standing on a hill top surveying the heifers in the pasture below. The young bull says, "Let's run down there and have us a heifer." The old bull snorts and replies, "Let's WALK down and have them ALL."

currently on a horn safari...I'll be moving a lot of horns around in the near future (keep your eyes on the classifieds).

New Friend

*goes digs out a dusty recorder from 4th grade, blows into it, horrible non-brass sound comes out* I would really like to get a trumpet. Yes I know it's not much. Ebay? These days you can't buy a cheep natural trumpet...

New Friend

Of course, I wanted a previously loved horn and I have looked at Dillon music. They do have lots of options and the chemical clean/service is welcome. Thanks for the models name nickpasternack, that helps. So all these horns should have good fast moving pistons? It just kinda freaked me out to see that they sell a "misc. rotary" horn (looks like it's probably a chinese disgrace...). I just want to make sure I don't buy a previously hated horn, if you know what I mean.

If it helps, I was planning on buying an Arban, maybe a Vizzuti method too and playing mostly that for a while. My interests are mainly in classical music. I intend on playing for the most part alone.

actually i played that miscillaneous rotary at dillons last week....its a decent horn. Not my choice for a rotary but a decent horn. Its considered misc. because some one stripped the lacquer and ruined the labeling. They buffed and ground it in an attempt to change the finish. My guess is that its a cerveny. As for books, go with arbans. It will get you affiliated with the horn quicker than anything else. As i said before, you may want to call dillons and explain your situation to davin (ask for him). He may help you out with the whole large bore horn thing. He may tell you the same thing that i stated before, but then again, he is the one with a master's degree....
    good luck!
    nick
    An old bull and a young bull are standing on a hill top surveying the heifers in the pasture below. The young bull says, "Let's run down there and have us a heifer." The old bull snorts and replies, "Let's WALK down and have them ALL."

currently on a horn safari...I'll be moving a lot of horns around in the near future (keep your eyes on the classifieds).

New Friend

Well thank you very much. I will certainly do that. And aren't you lucky to be living in New Jersey right by that store?

yes.....yes i am. Its a disease.....I LOVE that store.

Thread Information