Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Like Tree27Likes
Horns Discuss "pro"level trumpet vs "student" level trumpet in the Equipment forums; Originally Posted by trumpetsplus I have recently completed a remake of an Olds Ambassador. I took off the restrictive lead ...

Re: "pro"level trumpet vs "student" level trumpet

Quote Originally Posted by trumpetsplus View Post
    I have recently completed a remake of an Olds Ambassador. I took off the restrictive lead pipe to bell via valve casing braces and removed the bell to relieve stress. Then I used bracing and a mouthpiece receiver from my Jaeger-Diamond trumpets.

Difference was unbelievable! I hope the owner chimes in...
    SOoooo, how many clams does a redo like that run and say one valve needed replating and a few dents removed? Just sayin'...
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Quote Originally Posted by chierholzer View Post
    Student horns are made for durability, pro horns are made for playability
    Student horns are made for parents that don't want to invest in a better instrument (regardless of the reason) cause Johnny or Suzie won't play beyond middle school. I see C'list Yammie 2335's listed all too often and the parent thinks, " I paid 1000 bucks and it was rarely played, I'll sell it for $800 (cuz it retails for more!!). Doesn't happen around here. If it's perfect, maybe $300.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Quote Originally Posted by tobylou8 View Post
    SOoooo, how many clams does a redo like that run and say one valve needed replating and a few dents removed? Just sayin'...
    PM sent.
    tobylou8 likes this.
    Ivan Hunter
    www.JaegerBrass.com
    Performance and Tuition - Design, Modification and Repair
    Jaeger Trumpets and Mouthpieces
    Custom series includes:
    Jaeger 37 Bb
    Jaeger Baumann Bb
    Jaeger Quarter Tone Bb and C
    Jaeger C 4 Franquin ascending valve (C/D) model
    Skype lessons

Please do not attempt any repairs unless you have appropriate technical proficiency

Pianissimo User

Hello Ivan...I saw this tonight...and yes the owner would be happy to expand here. ( thats's me )

3 months ago I bought a 57 LA Olds Ambassador. After playing it 90 days, I knew it needed some mods'. First thought was as new( bigger ) leadpipe to as they say open up the sound. To the point..I own a Jaeger-Diamond since Oct 2010. To diverge: I have owned many trumpets over 40 years of playing, ( except Monette, Lawler, ). Also I have spent 1000's on mods too. 2-3 tuneable bell setup on a few horns.Change this change that. Best way I can describe Ivan's Jaeger trumpets, is that they are " Giant Killers "

Stainless steel valves, on and on. The Jaeger is 2 men spending 100's of hours doing every mod possible. With a 7 day trial, you cant lose. The sound is wonderful..I play next to a Schilke, a Calicchio, a Bach 37. My sound carries to back wall,,,and I can hear myself with NO problem, no matter how loud it gets.

Back to the OLDS. So before I started another project, I called Ivan and told him what I had, what was on my mind. I also said I did not want to throw good money over bad. He suggested the braces be changed, an ultrasonic cleaning...and polishing the inside of the leadpipe.

I sent it last week, and the job is already done. He really does turn work around fast! I've had the horn for 2 days, and I am blown away with the change. What Ivan suggested I do; no more no less..has really made a huge difference...did I mention he does a valve Alignment with the cleaning. I am huge on doing this,,it makes a positive difference. Some may balk...this is my opinion. I cannot be happier, as he said, lets do this, and see how you like it.

I played it last night at a church rehearsal for Sunday the whole night. I highly recommend Ivan's work. He is very very fair for labor, the work is fast...and you have someone with a ton of experience to enhance your instrument. He did some work on my Yamaha Flugel too last year...open it up even more.

I am sending my Jaeger One for the lead pipe brace mod. and the newer receiver. The way the Jaeger's are made now. Can wait for that.

All I am doing is giving credit where its do. And he certainly deserves it!
    Otto Alcon

Stomvi Forte w/ Harrelson AGR
    57 OLDS AMB Frankenhorn
    Waburton 6MC/ TP 6

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread Information