Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Horns Discuss Schagerl -Killer Queen Flugel - Comments in the Equipment forums; Hi All, Has anyone played this horn, or owned it, and can give me their opinions on it. I would ...

Schagerl -Killer Queen Flugel - Comments

Hi All,
    Has anyone played this horn, or owned it, and can give me their opinions on it. I would be interested in how it compares to a Standard Piston Flugel (my rotaries go in for professional service yearly - and expensive, same cost as a French horn), so more interested in sound quality/playability than running costs.

Many thanks
    Peter
    Peter
    Schagerl - Killer Queen Flugel
    Schagerl - James Morrison
    Schlub - Dingo Trumpet (The Wildest)
    Jaeger Diamond
    Olds - Clark Terry Flugel
    Olds - Recording Trumpet
    Taylor Chicago 46 Magnum Max
    Martin Committee & a few others

Re: Schagerl -Killer Queen Flugel - Comments

Hi Pete,

I hope that some of our German resident members (like Rowuk and Vulgani) will chime in, but in the mean time I will give you my insight...

It is high quality instrument, good intonation, excellent valves, the sound is probably slightly lighter than some piston flugels (like Conn V1), but still very flugel-like. However you will probably need some time and practice to get used to the unusual design. Taper is large - european.

I tested the instrument only on the Schagerl Brass Festival, so I didn't spend too much time with it, and haven't tested it in a gig or rehearsal.

Nick I - freelance wellness consultant
    My online store
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

The word "Schagerl" and "good valves" should not be in the same sentence as far as my experience goes. I have played 20+ from colleagues and they ALL have had "issues". It is not the manufacturer of the valves. I know those guys.

Rotary flugels are designed for something quite different than piston flugels. The rotary models have a market with germanic military music (replacing the clarinets) as well as the Bavarian, Bohemian, Austrian and Swiss "Blasmusik" - kind of the european "country and western" genre.

Piston valved flugels are designed more for jazz and non germanic wind music. The valves are not what makes them different. The shape, bracing, bore and bell are.

I think a great rotary flugel has a KILLER upper register, but no where near the "smokyness" of a great piston model.

Play before you play.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Robin,

I cannot comment on the horns YOU tried. The Killer queen I tested (If I remember well there was only one KQ on the exhibition) didn't show any particular valve issues. I don't know how it would behave on the long run. As for the smokyness comment, I totally agree.

Nick I - freelance wellness consultant
    My online store
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Thanks guys; for me it is a BIG investment. So as we down-under, deprived aussies with limited access to distributers and manufecturers, I really do rely heavily on the comments of this forum, or a small group of musos I interact with.

Based on the comments above, I would be better off biding my tiime for an Olds CT, sitting in a closet somewhere, waiting to be found.
    Thanks guys, I will wait, or I may get lucky to try one, as Melb
    Peter
    Jaeger Diamond
    Olds - Recording Trumpet

as Melbourne Woodwind and Brass are suppliers...oops it sent thru..
    Peter
    Jaeger Diamond
    Olds - Recording Trumpet

New Friend

Hi Peter,

Eric Budd here from Melbourne... I used to manage Brass n Woodwind as you might remember. We had the killer queen out the first year I intigated the relationship with Schagerl Instruments. It was an amazing horn. I am an artist for schagerl now and could not be happier with my Large bore Aglaea Trumpet.

As for the valves having problems, that could not be further from the truth! These horns are absoloutely amazing. The Killer Queen I would rate as the most amazing flugelhorn I have ever played. Even next to a monette flumpet, an Inderbinen "Wood" model or the great Conn Vintage One flugel, this truly is something else.

It sounds really lush, dark and warm, it seemed to have a much wider sound than any flugel I have played (and that is a lot of horns over time).

The upper register is a little more focused than a piston trumpet, but doesnt get punchy or trumpet like - its just clear and resonant.

Hands down if I had the money I would rush out and get it now! the short stroke on the rotor valves feels amazing, and somewhat changes the response of the horn. It does take a bit of time adjusting to rotor valves from pistons, but not too long.

As I am an improvising musician I really dug that the lines sound so fluid on it, its almost as if the valves are self articulating. Something changes there anyway.

I really dug it and would't go past it if you have the bread!

I don't work at the store anymore as I am focusing on my playing and teaching, but harass the guys to get one out for the ITG in Sydney soon!!

Best of luck to you,

Eric Budd

Hi Eric,
    Many thanks for the good feed-back. I will drop into your "Old" store to see what the damage would be to get one, or if they just happen to have one there (not likely - but things are picking up, so maybe). The ITG may be promising...

I am not in a hurry, as I am unable to practice or get a regular blow due to my real life work commitments. Things should settle by November this year, so I will try to get an idea of how many pennies I need to stach away. This will me my last purchase for the year, for sure.

If one comes out for the ITG, I will probably use plastic to get it done & dusted..
    Cheers & regards
    Peter
    Peter
    Jaeger Diamond
    Olds - Recording Trumpet

New Friend

Just checked the price.. M. Killer Queen Flugelhorn is 3,590 euro... (I wasn't into Flugelhorn.. rather I was into their funny shaped Trumpet.. anyway).. that's about AUD 5206.94 using xe.com/ucc to convert the currency... maybe buy that and a Shhh Flugelhorn Mute for AUD 70 will allow you to practice during break at work.. lol~ good luck!
    Yamaha 9335NY, 6610S, 6335H, 632
    B&H Imperial, Getzen Capri 590

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    The word "Schagerl" and "good valves" should not be in the same sentence as far as my experience goes. I have played 20+ from colleagues and they ALL have had "issues". It is not the manufacturer of the valves. I know those guys.

Rowuk lives near where these horns come from, and he normally knows what he is talking about.
    Ivan Hunter
    www.JaegerBrass.com
    Performance and Tuition - Design, Modification and Repair
    Jaeger Trumpets and Mouthpieces - Watch for the new Quarter Tone model
    Skype lessons

Please do not attempt any repairs unless you have appropriate technical proficiency

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information