Horns Discuss Schilke S32 in the Equipment forums; Need opinions on the Schilke S32......
    Pianissimo User

Schilke S32

Need opinions on the Schilke S32...

Fortissimo User
    Shiny
    Great valves
    Depends on s/n.

New Friend
    Tootsall,

Can you give us a little more regarding the Serial numbers. Which ones are good and why are they good?
    Dan
    Lawler TL6r-1a(STS)Parke-Bergeron 620/Warburton 7 series 80

Fortissimo User
    From Jim Donaldson's website, serial numbers between 20,XXX and 30,XXX feature the Yamaha components, including Yamalloy valves. If you check Ebay you'll see that that range tends to pull a couple hundred bucks less on resale.

Quote"So, only those horns with Yamaha casings have serial numbers from 20000 to 29999. In addition, those horns with Yamaha casings are distinguished by bowed tubing, rather than straight, between the valves; by braces between the valves that are round (Yamaha), rather than hexagonal (Schilke); and by two thin lines about 2/3 up the valve casing (Yamaha), rather than a beveled edge about 2/3 up that leads to the upper 1/3 with a slightly larger diameter casings (Schilke). " Unquote.

http://www.dallasmusic.org/schilke/M...alloy%20Valves

Cheers.

Pianissimo User
    I bought a new B5 in 1982 and it took me years to figure out what was wrong...not a happy thing. I eventually had to send the horn to the Schilke factory for a valve job, but they never really were up to snuff. And, indeed, as Tootsall says, these cursed horns do not hold up that well in the resale department.

New Friend

"S" model trumpets

There are no"S" model trumpets with Yamaha parts. They were conceived and developed after the company severed it's ties with Yamaha. Their design has remained constant over the years and, except for the "dizzy bells", we made for Mr. Gillespie, an S32 made today is exactly the same as one made twenty years ago.

Fortissimo User
    So it would be safe to say that no S model has a serial number between 20,000 and 29,999 and Jim's statement is right and so is yours and so is mine so we're all friends, right? :)

Thanks for the clarification, Oldmaz. My comment re: s/n was out of line considering that the topic was solely about S32.

Thread Information