View Poll Results: Which would you suggest?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • CarolBrass CTR-4000

0 0%
  • CarolBrass CTR-5060H

1 11.11%
  • Bach 239

3 33.33%
  • Lawler C trumpet (unknown specs, so far..)

1 11.11%
  • Getzen Capri

0 0%
  • suggest another one

4 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Horns Discuss In search of a "new" C trumpet in the Equipment forums; Greetings amigos of TM, it's been a while since i posted a thread in the forum, but now seems the ...

Question In search of a "new" C trumpet

Greetings amigos of TM,
    it's been a while since i posted a thread in the forum, but now seems the right time to do it..
    So, the time has come for me to (and i) consider to buy a C trumpet. I've created a brass/wind quintet recently and after examining enough material i found available, it revealed to me as an absolute necessity the acquisition of a C instrument..

Not being even close to Bill Gates's treasure, i have to scale price and quality, at the same time..
    Seeing that there's no decent, used C trumpet on Ebay, under $1000, my initial thought became to buy a CarolBrass instrument. I've read everywhere about how magnificent Bb trumpets they make, in lower costs, so yes.. even the cheaper CTR-4000 (~€500/$600) could be the right choice.. I'm hardly familiar with the C trumpets, so...
    But then it became more complicated, since CarolBrass informed me of their advanced model, the CTR-5060H, which is double the price, but it's more flexible, warmer, with better metals, and for "experienced musicians".. My teacher suggested the latter one, since C trumpets have often intonation problems, so, maybe, more money, better care..

And then, a seller i found, suggested:
    i) a Lawler C trumpet, with the classic yellow mat finish, for ~$1300.. And i got excited! I'll never make that money from playing with a C trumpet, i'm out of my budget, but, hey, it's a Lawler..!! (which apparently, closes the production of trumpets, as from Jan 1, 2017)...
    ii) a Bach 239 with 25 Herseth leadpipe, third hand, with a mysterious/nasty patch on the right little finger's crook.. for $1300.. I'm feeling too confident about that.. even though the price is crazy for a Bach..
    iii) a Getzen Capri, good condition, $750-800.. (Good i read, but not as an Eterna...??)

So now, i address my dilemma and confusion to the community here:
    a) which one would suggest?
    b) what "tradition" does Lawler have on C trumpets? I mean, are they the classical, bright and mellow instruments that you expect (when buying a C trumpet) , or are they on the same commercial motif, the famous Bbs are, just smaller?

thank you all in advance
    Last edited by Plithos; 12-22-2016 at 09:31 AM. Reason: forgot something to add
    Schilke X3 Beryllium
    Maxtone (Student Model)

Re: In search of a "new" C trumpet

How about an NYTC Stage One C? In excellent condition. Silver plated. $1200. PM me and I'll let you know more.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Pianissimo User

Do you have the opportunity to play each of these horns? If so, pick the one you think plays the best. If not, you've got a tough decision. My first thought would be to pick the Bach, just because it could be the most versatile of the bunch. Also, if you don't like it, you can probably sell it easily. How old is it? Is the valve compression good? It will probably have the usual Bach intonation issues, but those might be improved with a valve alignment, which can be done later if you can't afford it now.

Lots of things to consider. Have fun, and good luck.

-John
    True Tone likes this.
    Bach 72*
    Bach 43*
    Bach Chicago C
    Kanstul 1525

Check trumpetherald.com for some good C trumpet listings. The C trumpet I would recommend (and last time I checked, they had 1 or 2 at TH) is the Sonare C trumpet. It's basically a B&S with a Blackburn leadpipe. They aren't made anymore, but are good horns and go for pretty cheap. I snagged mine for $900.

C trumpets items - available on Trumpet Herald
    True Tone likes this.
    Yamaha Xeno 8335S II Bb Trumpet
    Sonaré Tr8-CYS C Trumpet
    Holton/Leblanc/Yamaha C602RC Cornet

"A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday but never remembers her age." -- Robert Frost

Pianissimo User

Conn vintage one 'c'
    Conn Vintage 1BR-50
    Selmer Manhattan
    Antoine Courtois C 125L

I've played the Carolbrass models, and the lower model was very good. I've also played an older Lawler C, and it was fantastic. Both were better than most of the Bach Cs I've played, but if you don't like them they aren't as easy to sell later. Then again, you don't see that many of them for sale, and a zillion Bachs are always up for sale! Tough decision, but my personal choice would be either the lower model Carolbrass or the Lawler, depending on budget.
    True Tone likes this.
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Puje 3am
    Adams ACB Prologue
    Conn 112B
    NY Bach Mercury
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    Schilke C5L
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

Wow Flugelgirl! You've got fantastic equipment! Thanks for the opinion also.. i'd certainly like to try a CarolBrass.. Yes they are industrialized.. maybe not custom cared, handcrafted.. Yes they come from Taiwan.. But almost everybody says that they are great.. (and i'm not in anyway trying to promote them!)
    And lastly, you're right.. The market is filled with Bachs (obviously because is a giant company and sells thousands per year).. What do all these people buy after a C Strad? Which is significantly better?

thanks again
    flugelgirl likes this.
    Schilke X3 Beryllium
    Maxtone (Student Model)

As i learned, the Lawler is a Ps1.. which they promote as a masterpiece, a bit heavier and more mellow..:
    "The new 2013 Lawler Ps1 is the result of many request for a slighty heavier trumpet that will produce a warm full tone, but when needed be able to sing out over the orchestra. It's rose brass bell and leadpipe aid in its warm sound but quick response. Many have noted how soft one can play and still get a clean clear attack. The broad tone at forte level just sings. If you need to play the lead line the upper register is centered and very accurate. Listed below are available specs. Each Ps1 is built to order".
    I attach photos:
    received_659435594238719.jpgreceived_659435597572052.jpgreceived_659435600905385.jpg
    Schilke X3 Beryllium
    Maxtone (Student Model)

And this is the Bach 239/25h:
    received_659444084237870.jpgreceived_659444104237868.jpgreceived_659444144237864.jpgreceived_659444197571192.jpgreceived_659444270904518.jpg

notice the patch on the third slide crook (it fell and made a crack, so they sealed it).. and also the bad soldering on the right little finger's ring
    Schilke X3 Beryllium
    Maxtone (Student Model)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information