Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Horns Discuss The Selman company in the Equipment forums; I take it you have never bought from Selman ro. I have. I would never steer anyone wrong on TM. ...

Re: The Selman company

I take it you have never bought from Selman ro. I have. I would never steer anyone wrong on TM. I bought a pocket trumpet and it plays great and is the only low priced pocket trumpet that has monel valves. Cecilio is crap, selman is very good for student instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    These are instruments priced to sel, man! I am very glad that my dad drove the adage "you get what you pay for" home when I was young and vulnerable.

Dude, don't say stuff about a company if you don't know what u'r talking about.

quote=Hairy James;371763]Its mainland Chinese junk. Selman is a take off on the Selmer brand name to trick people.
    If it sounds to good to be true it is. Sellers of this junk hang out on music sites to give false information out. Beware![/quote]

Their phone number is 877-878-5877. They're very nice honest people.

quote=jdostie;370391]Any luck getting ahold of these folks? I am thinking of purchasing a pocket trumpet to keep in the trunk, for practice during lunch etc. They are small enough that I can sit in the car and play etc.
    Here's their phone # 877-878-5877

This, with the economic stimulus check - of which my wife is graciously allowing me about $300 - because of other recent trumpet related purchases. That leaves out even a Jupiter, I see a Winston Pocket that one or two vendors still seem to be selling (I don't know if they actually have stock or not), that appears to be the same horn as the Jupiter.

So, like everyone else, it's the cheap or the very cheap, and trying to figure out which is which . . . As to play before you pay, noone seems to carry pockets, so even with a trial period there is paying for shipping, so it's best to have at least some idea of whether or not it's "good enough" for practice purposes. So, back to the question at hand, if/when you try it, it would be good to know what you thought.

Thanks[/quote]

New Friend

I got a Selmen sort model cornet from a friend as a gift. The plating could make it hard to hold in sweaty hands. Actually, i was quite surprised by the quality....it plays in tune, but has a first valve thumb saddle, and, of course, the seldom used third valve slide. It came with a mouthpiece that is quite deep...almost Frenchhorn-like, with a relatively narrow rim. Zipper canvas case, well padded. The horn blows just fine and with the plating, wuld probablybe fairly dent resistant for a beginner. Coupled with my Bach 3C mouthpiece, it really ain't a bad little horn, though the valves seem to have a slightly longer stroke, and theycan bounce on fast passages (rubber spacers instead of the usual cork). Instead of mother-of-pearl on the buttons, there is cheap plastic, but for a horn that sells for next to nothing, what can one say? Good tight valves too.

New Friend

Smile Re: The Selman company

I was given a Selmen short model cornet...nickel plated, I think...and I was quite surprised. Tight valves, good intonation, and well braced. It came with a very deep short shank mouthpiece...sort of like the REAL older cornets, but it takes a lot of work to play it. Coupled with my usual Bach 3C the little horn is responsive, and sounds like a real cornet...not like a cornet-wannabe. Haven't measured the bore yet, but it doesn't blow like a small bore horn. At the price I was told it cost ($109) it would be hard to beat as a beginner instrument, or even for a practice horn.

I have a strange feeling that Decent player and Bruce H. Johanson share the same gene pool.

Take it from a band director that has seen everything -- SELMAN IS GARBAGE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Toobz View Post
    ... So you can always dump it later and get your money back. ............... ..................
    Good luck !
    What's the point of forking out $70 in the hope that you'll get it back later, particularly if you intend to "dump it" on to some poor unsuspecting soul - that almost smacks of shady dealing - and is no better than the original seller's mis-direction with the distortion of the name.

I compared many of the Chinese/German instruments when I bought my
    Weril Pocket trumpet, and whilst the Weril is not the finest PT in the universe it is streets ahead of the clunking junk I tried from the Sub-continent and China.

Just as a matter of interest, is the postage more costly than the horn? If so, that should speak volumes.
    Ted
    Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

New Friend

Hey Bandman, this is supposed to be an idea and opinion exchange, not a slam party. Now I based my opinion of my little Selman on my experience with cornets. I have played (and still own) a great Conn 12A, a Reynolds Contempora (large bore), a variety of Olds things ranging from the Ambassador to the studion and recording models, the great Getzen horns...800A and the 580S Capris, which I still use, an old Conn Vocabell from 1940, and I recently had a Benge, a Strad and even a coule of Muck cornets go through my hands. My classic horn is a Besson "Prototype" with the Chicago bore made in 1906 with a cookie cutter moutpiece. The Selman compares favorably with t hese, and sounds like a cornet....of course, my main tool is my Getzen, when I am on cornet. I have been in the band business for over 43 years and I have seen a lot of water go under the bridge. I have seen the cheap Czech horns...the junk from catalogs...and I remember the old line Getzens on which an octave didn't exist. The SELMAN may be junk inh your eyes, but I have seen much worse for a lot more money. I will base my final opinion on what h appens if I have to repair the Selman. I do instrument repair, and some of the best horns on the market today are throw-aways. The latter day Olds horns had poor solder joints, and a Yamaha is like a Bic pen...you don't buy a refill, you buy a new horn. So far, the Selman, though cheaply made, seems to be put together pretty well...after I knock it arond a little more I may have a different opinion.

Whatever the current quality of Chinese instruments, Asia is where the future of student quality brass instrument manufacturing lies. A trumpet does not appear to be all that complicated to build compared to a home computer and both are built in China. Many of us are using computers with Chinese components. If the Chinese can do that, building good student quality brass instruments is doable. U.S. trumpet manufacturing will have to become more cost competitive with the Chinese or it will shrink to just professional quality trumpets.
    Thank goodness for music.

New Friend

Hi, I realize this isn't directly related to trumpets, however I've been trying to decide on whether or not to get a selman instrument off of ebay.

I wanted to buy a baritone (or an alto horn, either one would be good really, I know they are different keys but I am not going to be using it for a concert/symphonic band or anything, just randomy playing, playing music during christmas time and things like that). So anyway, after searching for the phone number they told me to call to find out shipping, I ended up on here.

I realize that it is no King nor Bach nor Yamaha, however when asking my sister (who is a music teacher, well she has been for a couple years) where I could get a cheap baritone, she sent me a link to ebay saying that there are cheap alto horns, which brought me to the Selman Alto Horn for about $155. For me that is a good price since I am a poor college student (lol) I also saw a Rossetti for around $200 something.

Now I was wondering, althought it is not as good as the aformentioned brands, would this horn be good enough for playing around with sometimes, or is Selman just so horrible that it's not even worth it for people that won't play it for some band?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information