Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Horns Discuss Selmer Radial 2 Value in the Equipment forums; Found a Selmer Radial 2 for sale in my area. Seller says horn is near mint and made in 1969. ...
    New Friend

Selmer Radial 2 Value

Found a Selmer Radial 2 for sale in my area.

Seller says horn is near mint and made in 1969.

Before I drive over to see this horn I'd like to hear what the value estimate is from the forum members. I've never seen nor played a Selmer trumpet.
    Thanks
    Jimmy
    352-284-1066

Pianissimo User

Re: Selmer Radial 2 Value

I've had mine for 30 years and consider it priceless. If its in good shape then I would think $600 - $700 would be a good price. If its pristine I might go up to $1000.

Piano User

Most of them sell in the $450-650 range. If it's a Bb, ML is the most common. The leadpipe may be marked "66". A "75" is a large bore, and a "99" is an XL bore.

The most common complaint is the mouthpiece receiver is slightly on the large size, allowing the mouthpiece to wobble around. intonation can be squirrely. One of my Radial Bb's is good, one so-so. I just sold a large bore that intonation was exceptional on. My C Radial is above average.

Good luck.

Forte User

2 on ebay at the moment, Silver @ Bin $1400, the other Bin $1099 this one looks pretty good.

I paid $1000 last year for my Bb in pristine origional condition, I considered it a good buy. One sold here in raw brass for $1500 and had a valve recondition in the past. You may have to look hard for a good one under $600.

IMO one of the finest trumpets built, I have now 4, Bb, C, D, Eb.

Regards, Stuart.

I had a Bb Radial 2 - purchased in 1972, so I estimate manufacture date at 1969+/-. A very pretty horn. Bright "French" sound, decent lead horn, some intonation problems (the was something wrong with the mouthpiece receiver and the gap was screwed up). It was odd because it was delivered with a Bach mouthpiece so I don't know that the receiver was looking for a bigger shank, just is was installed with no gap. Paid ~ $600. Sold ten years ago for $600. Splaying the valve 2 degrees off plumb makes ergonomic sense nonetheless, I had some valve issues with respect to deterioration of the monel itself and just wearing badly. I suspect there were some compression problems as well. Plays a lot different than the K Modified. Didn't blend with Bachs (which is what EVERYONE played in the 70's when I was in college) - tone was different - pitch was different - so, I drank the Kool-Aid. There were other choices and I should have kept it.
    Early 70's Yamaha Flugel s/n 000xxx
    Selmer Piccolo (a side ONLY)

It is a buyers market. The radial can really cost from a couple hundred to over a thousand. The valves were good, but now they are old. You simply need to get along with the rest!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Cool Re: Selmer Radial 2 Value

I have a Radial from 1970, no marking on mouthpiece receiver but I believe it is a .464 LB. I payed $400, but it needed a lot of bell work... $200 later it is an excellent horn! Most mouthpieces bottom out in it, I wrap the mouthpiece stem with a little piece of cellophane to tighten it up to the desired gap. It is a contender to being my favorite horn along with my Selmer 80J which has a little sassy'er sound. I would love to get my hands on a Radial "99" XLB Bore!
    Last edited by retro23; 03-18-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: left off price paid

"Bottoming out" translates to the end of the mouthpiece touching the beginning of the leadpipe with no gap. Cellophane (or I used a thin strip of paper) tightens up the mouthpiece with respect to it not being wobbly or falling out, but does not address the gap. I believe that this resulted in the "squirreliness" of mine with regard to pitch and to slotting. Everytime you change the cellophane or the paper, it is a different horn unless you're setting the gap to no gap: and that has pros and cons as well.

As an aside, Schilke mouthpieces seemed to fit mine whereas the Bachs did not. Again, as the horn was delivered with a Bach mouthpiece (from the now defunct, Dorn and Kirschner in Union, NJ) - just strange.

As a high school student, I didn't realize how much I was wrestling with the horn while trying to learn how to play. Sort of like learning to ride a bike (but the bike has two flat tires).

Retro, yours in unmarked? I believe those markings were on later Radials - earlier ones like my Bb (and apparently yours as well) had no such markings at all. Time to get out the calipers for a bore measurement!!
    Early 70's Yamaha Flugel s/n 000xxx
    Selmer Piccolo (a side ONLY)

My Monette piece fits well in the Radial, but I've switched to a Parduba and it has a lot of wobble, and will bottom out to the leadpipe. Not all Parduba's bottom out in it though. The one I am using is one of the newer Parduba's made in TX or CA I think. A vintage Parduba I own made in NY fits fine. I am under the impression that the cellaphane sets a gap of some sort... but you are correct in assuming that it changes everytime the shim (cellaphane or paper) is changed. I'm going to try determine the optimal setting over the weekend.

Yes tpsiebs, My horn is unmarked also (sn 49xxx). I am going to get a new battery for my old digital caliper and measure it... I read somewhere if a Radial is not marked it is the .462, but I was told mine is .464.... will post results.

Piano User

Bore measurements =

11.66mm = .459
    11.75mm = .462/.463 depending on how you round
    11.99mm = .472

Bore marking on the mouthpiece receiver, as well as engraving, seemed to vary depending on if the horn were built for Europe or the US.

The reason the US horns came with Bach mouthpieces instead of Selmer is the horns were imported and sold by Bach. (More correctly, art that time Selmer owned Bach and used them to import their Selmer horns.

XL bore Bb's are rare horns. I've only seen a handful over the years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information