Horns Discuss spot silver plating? in the Equipment forums; The silver plating on my bach strad is in awesome shape except for in every spot my hands touch the ...
    Pianissimo User

spot silver plating?

The silver plating on my bach strad is in awesome shape except for in every spot my hands touch the horn(my hands didn't do this it was like that when I got it used)

Is it worth it to replate those spots? Would that some how change the horns sound if I just got those spots replated? Is it better to just replate the whole horn? I think it would probably just be cheaper to just replate those spots. Replating the whole horn is about $400, i think, just those spots would be more like $100....I think... I really have no idea how much it would be...
    "Oy with the poodles already!"-Loreli Gilmore, Gilmore Girls

Bach Stradivarius Bb 43
    Bach 5C

Re: spot silver plating?

There isnt much you can do. Bachs are known for there bad finishes. Mine has done the same thing as yours. I would just get a valve guard and make sure and keep the leadpipe clean. You can have your repair shop patch the underside of your leadpipe whre the finish is worn down but its not worth it in my oppinion. Just keep your horn clean (inside and out) and it will last. The finnish will decay eventually, but that is inevitable, especially with bach's.

Piano User

You can get them spot plated; but, to me, it's not really worth it unless you just want the horn to be completely silver. If you just want to protect the brass, put some clear nail polish over the bare spot and reapply when it wears off.
    --Matt--

ttm,
    If your repairman is good and will guarantee the work, the spot plate will make the horn look a lot nicer. It won't change the sound or playing though. The suggestion of a leather valve guard is inexpensive. I only had my horns touched up or replated when they were due for an overhaul (when I played Bach, that was about 6 years of heavy playing).
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information