Horns Discuss Step up Trumpet in the Equipment forums; Hey folks, Well, my daughter has been playing since Aug. She has really surprised me. She has taken to the ...
    New Friend

Step up Trumpet

Hey folks,

Well, my daughter has been playing since Aug. She has really surprised me. She has taken to the trumpet like a duck to water. Practices everyday, and is one of the top in her class. I've been trying to keep up, but she has WAY surpassed me. We went with a rental instrument from a local company, a King 601. Her teacher told us that we might want to consider a step up trumpet for her. I've been looking at several but am undecided. Thinking about a Kanstul. What would you guys recomend? She has her first concert next month, can't wait I'm so excited!

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

Re: Step up Trumpet

jhill, it is always a delight to encounter parents who actually care about their kids. Bravo! The King 601 is pretty much bullet-proof and idiot proof, but as you move up in trumpets they tend to be a little (or a lot) less forgiving to neglect and, uhh, kids, especially other people's kids. Kanstul makes some great horns, but they aren't all that forgiving. I'm a firm believer that the right horn will find us (not necessarily the other way around) and am loathe to suggest what might work out the best for her, however, the Getzen 700 series has amazing valves, and although labeled an intermediate horn, has professional qualities. This is strictly opinion on my part, not Gospel truth. If you have a music store nearby with a good selection, kidnap your daughter, blindfold her, and let her try out horns (including the 601). If the one she picks is too pricey, remind her that what the player hears is different than what the audience hears and that you, as the audience, didn't like that one so much.

Thanks for supporting your daughter so much!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

jhill - a close chum of mine has suggested that organisations like Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center (sic) will literally have drawers full of trumpets covering the range available from many of the manufacturers (certainly the main makers) and you can, apparently, work your way to the brass / trumpet section and have a go at almost as many trumpets as you can imagine. If you're anywhere near WMC, it might be worth wandering in and speaking with the very knowledgeable staff and having your daughter try a few. There'll very likely be one in there just waiting for her to saunter by. (I'll also endorse the Getzen 700 Eterna II (yes I bought one from WMC back in 2004 - but I bought mine online)). No I've no relationship with WMC except as a customer well treated. If you do go down this track - you may see if they will sweeten the deal with well priced mutes for later trumpetting.
    Ted
    Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

I'll be the 3rd to endorse the Getzen 700 series. Great valves and reasonably priced.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Thread Information