Horns Discuss Taylor Chicago II Custom in the Equipment forums; Hi: Anyone playing or familiar with the Taylor Chicago II Custom? If so, ,I would be interested in your comments. ...
    New Friend

Taylor Chicago II Custom

Hi:
    Anyone playing or familiar with the Taylor Chicago II Custom? If so, ,I would be interested in your comments.
    Thank you.

Piano User
    i picked one up and it was so heavy that it made my arm hurt so i put it back down. 8)
    1946 Martin Committee, Bach 5V

New Friend

Taylor and weight

Hi:
    Thanks for the reply. I understand the horn weighs 4lbs 3oz with the supplied MP...heavier than the average but not that outrageous. I guess, therefore, that you did not attempt to put it through its paces?

Having owned a Taylor I can honestly say if I was going to pick a horn that played great and was perfectly balanced I'd go for an another option, like an Eclipse (another UK horn if you are looking at UK manufacturers) . The Taylor horn, while being a VERY nice soloists' horn, didn't hold up when playing section at work.

Also holding up heavy horns on 4hr jobs is just too much for me, and I'm 29 and work out!

The Eclipse is by far the best horn I have ever owned and will ever own. I played lead tonight with the Artie Shaw Orchestra and the lead bone Player (Doug Elliot, amazing player and master trombone mouthpiece craftsman) said after the first tune "what are you playing on?"... he absolutely flipped at how amazing the sound is out of the horn. It projects so much more than any of my big horns did and still retains an amazingly fat sound, even at VERY loud dynamics.

Feel free to email me off list as most people on this list know that I've owned practically one or two of every model out there.

-Trent
    www.trentaustin.com

New Friend

Eclipse vs Taylor

Thank you for your reply and opinion. My horns are employed for solo work only...no section work at all! I have heard the Taylor tone and was impressed and although I have heard several sound bytes produced by the Eclipse, I have not not been privy to a live audition and I am sure you will agree that there is a world of difference between live and recorded given the potential for EQ, room acoustics and playback equipment. As for the weight, my primary horn weighs slightly more than three pounds and I have not found that to be an issue, another pound shouldn't be a back breaker. Anyway, that's why there are horse races.
    Thanks again.

Mezzo Forte User
    Hi Ronald,

Although I can't claim Trent's performance pedegree I do have some experience with Taylor trumpets.

I got to spend some time with a Chicago II custom when I bought my standard and it's a very fine trumpet. As has been stated it is heavy but not unmanagable (balance fore and aft is excellent) and has that thick,rich sound. Valves are excellent as with all Taylors. It is ideally suited to solo work, particularly small combo type playing.

I must admit that I needed something just a little more versatile so I chose a standard with the red brass bell which is a touch more section friendly but can still be as effective as the custom in a solo setting. It weighs about 3/4 of a pound less as well. My favourite horn while testing them was the pheonix but I suspect that's an acquired taste.

Anything else I can help with let me know.

Regards

Trevor

New Friend

Taylor II Custom

Hi Camelbrass:
    I appreciate your input and experience. I am currently playing a gold WT and love it, by the way.
    My interest is primarily in solo work so, whether the Custom works in a section setting has little relevance to me. If that were ever a requirement, however, the WT can certainly do the job. As for the Eclipse, I don't doubt its pedigree, however, I tend to gravitate towards the large bore horns as provided by the WT and Taylor. I currently have a Chicago Custom on order in gold satin plate but I suspect it will take another three or four months before I'll see it.
    Thank you once again for your thoughtful comment.

Thread Information