Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes
Horns Discuss Which trumpet is best to rent? in the Equipment forums; Hello all I'm new here and I will be new player as well. I have wanted to play trumpet for ...
    New Friend

Which trumpet is best to rent?

Hello all

I'm new here and I will be new player as well. I have wanted to play trumpet for a while and have been reading through the various post on here to learn as much as I can and pick what tips I can. A lot of info to sift through.

I plan on renting a trumpet at first because I can not afford to buy one but can afford to rent one from a reputable shop here in northern Virginia. It's just easier to pay the rental fee of about $23 a month (which includes insurance if something were to happen) for me at this time. I've seen many people's take on a lot of different trumpets and what their opinion on which student/beginner trumpet or even to start with a student trumpet or not. I will be going with a student for the time being.

The question I have is which one, in your opinion, is a better quality trumpet in general?

I know you can't speak to a specific horn without being able to know the condition it's in or without being able to play it. I'm just looking for your first hand experience with the brands/models that I have to choose from.

The ones that I have to choose from are:

Jupiter jtr600/700
    Bach tr500
    King (didn't specify a model but would assume a student model)

Any experience with and opinions from experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I should also include the type of tone that I would like to be able to achieve over time. I'm looking a warm tone that isn't extremely bright. The player's tone that I'm attracted to is Roy Hargrove. To me he has a warm tone that can be bright when he needs to be but isn't shrill or harsh. His tone is also very full to me as well.
    MJ likes this.

MJ
    Administrator Fortissimo User MJ's Avatar

Re: Which trumpet is best to rent?

Welcome Chris. I think any of them will work fine for what you need to do. Roy Hargrove would sound like Roy Hargrove on any of those trumpets. Have you selected a private teacher? You can keep that sound in your head and work through the fundamentals of trumpet playing in a 1-1 private lesson. I think this would be your best bet.

Welcome to TM.

The question of which horn is "best" comes up regularly. When it does, you're bound to get a lot of different answers. The horns you mentioned are all fine. Pick the one you like.

Regarding your search for a specific sound/tone, you won't find it in any of these horns, or in any other horn. Assuming you're just starting out, just focus on getting a good all-around trumpet, like one of the student models you listed.

Mike
    MJ and True Tone like this.
    Bach Stradivarius 43* (1974), Bach 5C Mouthpiece.
    Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn (1974), Yamaha 14F4 Mouthpiece.
    Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.

Hi ChrisAmedy,
    Welcome to TM.

It sounds good to rent, as it is a Budget amount every month. Just be aware of the terms, and length of time on the contract. For instance there may be a minimum of 12 months, or 2 years to rent. Businesses have rental for good intentions, but they still need to make some money to cover the costs they have in stocks etc as well.
    Those horns you mentioned are all good student horns. New would be $800 to $1000 as my guess. These are usually targeted at schools, where kids need them for 1 to 3 years. They can take a bit of abuse, but the store needs to get at least 2 years of use to cover their initial outlay. The rentals are probably horns spare to the school system, so may be well used, but still playable, don't expect a new horn - you will be lucky to get one. The rejects will get recirculated. Renting would be a good option for a couple of months to try it out, but unlikely to get such a short term contract, as Music stores have to cover their costs, that is only fair.

I would look for a 2nd hand Olds Ambassador in good condition, probably for $100 to $200, and you can get your money back if you decide to give up, or flip it to up-grade.
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McNeill View Post
    I would look for a 2nd hand Olds Ambassador in good condition, probably for $100 to $200, and you can get your money back if you decide to give up, or flip it to up-grade.
    Good advice, and definitely another option to consider.

When my son was staring out, I found a used Bach TRxxx for $200. A used Ambassador, Bach TRxxx, Yamaha 2xxx, etc, might be worth considering, too.

Nothing wrong with renting, of course. No up-front cost, you can stop anytime. But over the length of the contract, the money adds up.

Mike
    MJ, coolerdave and barliman2001 like this.

New Friend

I'm still in search of a private teacher. I learned how to play bass on my own but know that it won't work like that on trumpet so I'm looking around for a good teacher in the area.

I know that a specific sound comes from the player and not the horn itself but the horn does add some color and certain characteristics to a players tone. For example, Jaco Pastorius will sound Jaco no matter which bass he plays but there will be slight variations in the tonal quality of the bass itself due to its construction. I'm not sure that translates to trumpet or not, but I would guess that whether it's yellow, gold, or red brass in the construction would play a small role in some of the color and characteristics of the tone. Plus the overall construction the instrument in general, and the mouthpiece used.

I have never played trumpet before, that's why I included that I'd like to achieve a similar sound over time. I have a lot of work and practice to put in before I will be able to get to that kind of level. Lol

New Friend

The policy is a 2 month commitment and then it's just month to month. I do have the option renting a new trumpet as well for about $2 more a month. The shop is a small family owned shop that has been there for about 30 years. Plus 100% of the rental price can toward the purchase of the horn or one of equal or greater value.
    TrumpetMD, Nerf and GeorgeB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAmedy View Post
    I know that a specific sound comes from the player and not the horn itself but the horn does add some color and certain characteristics to a players tone.
    Yes, you're right. But not for someone just starting out.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAmedy View Post
    The policy is a 2 month commitment and then it's just month to month. I do have the option renting a new trumpet as well for about $2 more a month. The shop is a small family owned shop that has been there for about 30 years. Plus 100% of the rental price can toward the purchase of the horn or one of equal or greater value.
    Sounds good to start off.

The sound of a player really is about the development of the sound in your own head, so just keep listening to the players you like, as much as you can have the iPod playing. Go see as many live gigs as you can. I think of a trumpet as an extension of my voice. My voice sounds different to me, than it does to the rest of the world. Like the first time you hear a voice recording of yourself, you do not recognise the voice. Same thing with trumpet, what you project and what you think you are projecting may be two different things. At the start you will be like a baby crying, no idea what your own sound will eventually be... as you mature your sound will mature. That's the best way to think of sound development.

At the early stages, just go for a nice tone, not related to volume, it is about a solid core sound. A teacher can help you - as I said you will not know what you sound like yourself. Get a tuner, and try to play in tune, this will help you to learn to lip up and down, and start to educate your ear.

I would also get the shop to show you how to clean the trumpet - that needs to be a regular thing you can do without any stress. A daily valve clean and oil, and a regular weekly clean. Good hygiene, like not eating and drinking while playing is something you need to learn and respect as well.

Find a teacher as quick as you can. Any of the horn offered would be OK, I would probably go with a Jupiter myself, as I own a couple of their horns, and think they make good gear.

Good luck
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Piano User

Here's a spiffy little 1967 Conn Director, in what looks to be very very good condition, for $225 and Free S&H:

Vintage CONN 1967 Director Trumpet 15B REALLY NICE in Original Case Bach 7C | eBay

The thing about bargain hunting, though, is that you get the very best bang for the buck when can you purchase on YOUR time schedule, not on "theirs".

For instance, eventually [within the next six months or year] a horn like that will come up in a no-reserve auction, and the high bid will probably end up around $150, or maybe $175.

So you always pay a little more if you're in a hurry.
    J. Jericho and True Tone like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information