Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
Horns Discuss Trumpet and Mellophone in the Equipment forums; I regularly play and perform on trumpet in concert settings, but I was considering learning and practicing mellophone to play ...
    pie
    New Friend

Trumpet and Mellophone

I regularly play and perform on trumpet in concert settings, but I was considering learning and practicing mellophone to play during my next college marching band season. I would be spending time practicing both instruments throughout the year. Would regularly practicing both be detrimental to the quality of my trumpet playing (or possibly lead to bad practices) in concert settings, and should I not begin practicing mellophone during concert season?

Thanks
    fbp likes this.

Re: Trumpet and Mellophone

You can do both, if you want to. But playing a second instrument will invariably take some of the time and energy away from the first one. I play a mellophone(ium) sometimes for jazz combo stuff and I don't really practice it much at all. The key shift can be confusing, though.
    True Tone likes this.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Piano User

Why? They march trumpets, why not do that? It's not like you're my bassoon-playing son, or my oboe-playing wife. (To my eye, the marching oboe looks exactly like a sousaphone.)

Tell us more about your motivation, and we'll be glad to spew forth opinion after opinion...

pie
    New Friend

I think a better way is would the differing embouchures required to play either instrument interfere with each other or mix?, or would the brighter sound of the trumpet interfere with the darker and mellow sound of the marching mellophones?

My motivation for learning the mello would be to play it in college band season

If your trumpet embouchure us fairly well developed you will be OK. If not, then you may be better off sticking to trumpet. Do they not want you to march with the trumpet, or do they need a mellophone more?
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

Piano User

I think you missed the essence of my question. Why something other than the trumpet, which is an excellent choice for marching and which you already play? Why mellophone, and not the marching baritone, say? (Several greats were excellent on both trumpet and trombone, such as Ferguson and Gillette, so clearly that pair's not an impediment.) Once you can articulate this, maybe we can be more helpful. The mellophone is essentially useless off the field, or so it seems, so it's a relatively poor 'investment' of your time.

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    I think you missed the essence of my question. Why something other than the trumpet, which is an excellent choice for marching and which you already play? Why mellophone, and not the marching baritone, say? (Several greats were excellent on both trumpet and trombone, such as Ferguson and Gillette, so clearly that pair's not an impediment.) Once you can articulate this, maybe we can be more helpful. The mellophone is essentially useless off the field, or so it seems, so it's a relatively poor 'investment' of your time.
    And jazz trumpet great Carl Saunders played mellophone with the Stan Kenton Orchestra.
    Pinstriper and True Tone like this.

When I break out the mellophonium at a jazz venue, folks go nuts They LOVE it. Not to say it isn't a bear to play in tune, but the effort is worth it. So useless off the field, not in my opinion. That said, I don't make a living playing music.
    True Tone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kennedy View Post
    And jazz trumpet great Carl Saunders played mellophone with the Stan Kenton Orchestra.
    Correct answer. If memory serves, so did Tony Scodwell.
    True Tone likes this.
    ~'77 DEG Dynasty II Soprano Bugle in G
    '13 Chinese POS "Hawk" branded Flugel from Amazon
    '59 Olds Ambassador Cornet
    '51 Olds Super
    '69 Olds Studio
    '40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued

Forte User

Nah. Those guys played Conn 16E mellophoniums. I'd assume the OP is talking about the uglier marching mellophone, rather than a true mellophone or a mellophonium.
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information