Horns Discuss Trumpets from India (Tristar) in the Equipment forums; I think we have all seen those ultra cheap trumpets on Ebay from India named Tristar. Has anyone actually bought ...
    New Friend

Trumpets from India (Tristar)

I think we have all seen those ultra cheap trumpets on Ebay from India named Tristar. Has anyone actually bought one to see exactly what they are about?
    I decided one day to purchase one just to see if the quality would be as bad as I expected. (the total cost was only about $75 to satisfy my curiousity)
    I received the horn about 5 days later very well packaged and in good condition. However, that is the only good thing I had to say about these horns!
    The mouthpiece which was supposed to be a 7C (that is what the size said on the mouthpiece) was anything but a 7C, it felt more like a tuba mouthpiece it was so large!
    Second, the valves were extremely stiff even after oiling them. An interesting note was included in the case though which said that this trumpet was so revolutionary that it never required oil!! Incredible isn't it? haha Even after taking it in to the shop to see if they could do anything, they chuckled at my experiment, and told me they tried to make the pistons function smoother, but nothing could really be done.
    It played in tune 90% of the time, I can't recall where it started to go out of tune on the scale, but I have never fought with a horn that much to keep in in tune.
    Also, there was several areas on the horn that weren't filed down nor polished properly leaving the horn with sharp edges which actually cut my fingers several times!
    In conclusion, it was a $75 horn indeed! If anyone else wishes to experiment with buying one out of curiousity, don't!! Save your money and put it towards a new mute, mouthpiece, or even towards several McDonalds Happy Meals!

New Friend
    I was thinking of using it to throw to the ground when I get frustrated with my practice, that way I don't wreck my regular horn, I can take my frustration out on that horn...

Why don't you steamroll it, and hang it on your wall?

Van

Thread Information