Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Horns Discuss Used Yamaha 6345 in the Equipment forums; I'm looking to get my 14 year old daughter a better horn than the beginner Getzen she plays now. A ...
    New Friend

Used Yamaha 6345

I'm looking to get my 14 year old daughter a better horn than the beginner Getzen she plays now. A Yamaha 6345HS just showed up on the local Craigs List for $999. I'm a tuba player and know next to nothing about trumpets. If it was a Yamaha Tuba, I'd be fine. ;)

Is this a good horn, good price, etc. How does it compare to the Yamaha Xeno models? That's the name she's heard talked about by her band buddies and she has put it on her "dream trumpet" list just because its reputation.

Piano User

Re: Used Yamaha 6345

The two that have sold on ebay recently sold for a bit less, though it still sounds like a fairly good price.
    Yamaha 6xxx-es are nice horns, they're similar to the more expensive Xenos, but they're both pro models still.
    1950 Buescher model 217 Lightweight 400 Trumpet
    1910 Holton Couturier Model Cornet
    1950 Holton Model 28 Cornet
    1972 Holton Galaxy Trumpet
    1970 Conn 17A Cornet
    1948 Holton Model 79 Mellophone
    ...and a lot of woodwinds.

Quote Originally Posted by HopHead View Post
    How does it compare to the Yamaha Xeno models? .
    The 6345HS IS the 1st generation large bore Xeno for export markets

If it's actually a 6345HS II (marked on the 2nd valve) it would be 2nd generation large bore Xeno for sale outside Japan.

They're now fetching at least as much at auction, if not more, than when I bought mine (ML version mk II) about 14 years ago. That speaks for how highly regarded they are.
    True Tone likes this.
    Bb Trumpets: Yamaha YTR-6335HSII - Flip Oakes "Wild Thing" - 1972 Getzen Eterna "Severinsen" - 1980 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign Studio - B&S 3005 WTR-L - 1963 Besson 10-10 - Spiri Vario
    C Trumpet: Inderbinen Alpha 200
    Bb Bass: 1961 Holton #58 "Symphony"

Wyrd oft nereš unfågne eorl, žonne his ellen dėah.

"Pypes, trompes, nakers, clariounes, that in bataille blowen blody sounes"

Pianissimo User theo van kampen's Avatar

A Yamaha 6345HS just showed up on the local Craigs List for $999...
    To me it seems a little overpriced. The Yamaha 6345 is a VERY GOOD horn but for $999,- you can find easely better instruments like a Vincent Bach 180-37 Stradivarius.
    Not that the Bach is way better but the Bach will keep her value...
    Yamaha 6345 you can find under $500,- in a good condition
    1976 Vincent Bach Stradivarius 180-37
    1954 Conn 22B 'Victor'
    1987 Getzen Eterna 700

"Every great artist has his off days" Pops Mitchell

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by theo van kampen View Post
    Yamaha 6345 you can find under $500,- in a good condition
    Where would I find deals like this? I've only started my hunt and I've basically just started with EBay, Craigs List, etc. and I haven't seen anything even close to a deal like that. Are there some trumpet "insider" markets or reputable used horn shops I should add to my shopping list?

Where would I find deals like this?
    Where the comment came from, I guess.

Bb Trumpets: Yamaha YTR-6335HSII - Flip Oakes "Wild Thing" - 1972 Getzen Eterna "Severinsen" - 1980 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign Studio - B&S 3005 WTR-L - 1963 Besson 10-10 - Spiri Vario
    C Trumpet: Inderbinen Alpha 200
    Bb Bass: 1961 Holton #58 "Symphony"

Wyrd oft nereš unfågne eorl, žonne his ellen dėah.

"Pypes, trompes, nakers, clariounes, that in bataille blowen blody sounes"

Pianissimo User theo van kampen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sethoflagos View Post
    Where the comment came from, I guess.

LOL!

But seriously, over here in the Netherlands we have a sort of national ebay called ā‰„ Marktplaats - De plek om nieuwe en tweedehands spullen te kopen en verkopen (marketplace) where you can find horns for a good price. Maybe we Dutch are not that hysterical about secondhand Yamaha trumpets... My trumpet student payed less than €500,- for his 6345 trumpet.
    Okee, she has a little red rot in the leadpipe but who cares? The trumpet is a real axe!

I just took a look at Yamaha and I have to say that I am shocked about the value that Yamaha has in the USA...

Anyway, if people over there as that much money for a second hand Yamaha I would suggest you to move over to the Old World
    True Tone likes this.
    1976 Vincent Bach Stradivarius 180-37
    1954 Conn 22B 'Victor'
    1987 Getzen Eterna 700

"Every great artist has his off days" Pops Mitchell

Mezzo Piano User

Craigslist is where I shop. They're local(-ish), and I can see before I buy.

That $999 is the asking price. If you like it, but think it's worth less than that, try making an offer. Explain your reasoning. They can say no. They can also say yes, or counteroffer. Or keep it in mind for later when it's just not selling and nobody's nibbling either.

A friend bought a Benge through Craigslist, for $350 which was hugely undervalued, and a never-to-be-equaled deal. I bought one for $600 through CL, and another one (different bell) for $630 through eBay. These are 'good' prices, it would be very hard to do better, unless the condition were dreadful.
    J. Jericho and True Tone like this.

Mezzo Piano User

Theo makes a good case sometimes things are way overpriced. So he has given us a new market to explore, the question is can we buy a yamaha unseen and expect any kind of success?

In this regard to trying before buying has anyone ever been let down by a yamaha, I have never heard of one. I would buy a used yamaha untested and unseen from anywhere it was offered. I did that myself with a yamaha cornet it was very cheap and nearly factory fresh, a few uk pounds spent with a tech returned it to perfection.

And if a 6345 is available in holland for 500 euro and a similar horn is on offer for 1000 dollars us. on craigslist I know which one I would take a punt on. I cannot see craigslist even considering an offer anywhere near half the quoted price for a horn, so you still would have to pay nearly double the dutch price. Its a no brainer.

If you buy 2 dutch yamahas, just in case one doesnt work both together will cost what one single horn costs in craigslist, you will then find both work and you can sell the one you then reject on craigslist for the price you paid for both horns and then you end up paying nothing for the horn you keep.

Wheres the downside.
    True Tone likes this.
    If you can play Jazz you can Razzamatazz, But if you can play sweet you can always eat.

Conn 80A Cornet May 1952
    Boosey and Hawkes Emperor Trumpet September 1955
    Selmer Student Trumpet September 1943
    Comet Pea shooter Trumpet Unknown build date probably 1950

New Friend

A big thanks to those of you that replied to my question. I ended up getting the trumpet for the asking price. Since the seller just listed it on Craig's List, he didn't want to lower the price at all until it had been out there for a few weeks. I was able to look at it and play a few notes before making my decision and it is in near mint condition. After looking at the alternatives out there, I felt the combination of condition/location made the slight premium in price worth it.

My daughter is going to be thrilled on her birthday next month.
    RRVancil and Sethoflagos like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information