Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Horns Discuss weimar trumpet in the Equipment forums; Does anyone have experience with, or know about Weimar Trumpets. I have aquired one--seems ok, but I know nothing about ...
    New Friend

weimar trumpet

Does anyone have experience with, or know about Weimar Trumpets. I have aquired one--seems ok, but I know nothing about this instrument. thanks jm

Re: weimar trumpet

So Called "German Engineered" Chinese made trumpet. I haven't seen reports of that particular horn on the forum that I can recall. Maybe you can try it out, examine the parts, valves, fit and finish and playablity and give us a review? That would be helpful for our Chinese horn database.

Then maybe we can compare it to others of that class of imports and others looking can get a ist hand account.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

New Friend

Re Weimar I like mine fine. Only difficulty so far is that the horn traps moisture that does not come readily out of the two water valves. I have tried pulling the 2nd valve slide & also turning the horn upside down to see if it will drain from lead pipe. I have not learned how to deal with this issue. Any suggestion???? thx jm

There's this store that sells their "quility" made trumpets on ebay. And from what I read, their not of good quility by far. I may be mistaken for another company though. I'll post a link up.
    Bach Strad Chicago C
    Schilke Bb B3
    Raw brass Bb Bach TR300
    Yamaha Eb
    1931 Conn 22B New York Symphony

I didn't want to get that ring around my lips from practicing the trumpet, because I thought the girls wouldn't like me. So I never practiced.-
    Wynton Marsalis

“I get asked this every once in awhile you know, how do you deal with fear? And all that stuff that most common you got a tough piece to play and I said, if that’s the way you are you don’t belong there.” – Bud Herseth

Took me a while to find it, I guess they stopped selling so many at a time!

PRO STYLE 2009 MODEL Bb SILVER TRUMPET AND CASE NEW - eBay (item 260302373103 end time Oct-25-08 10:20:05 PDT)
    Bach Strad Chicago C
    Schilke Bb B3
    Raw brass Bb Bach TR300
    Yamaha Eb
    1931 Conn 22B New York Symphony

I didn't want to get that ring around my lips from practicing the trumpet, because I thought the girls wouldn't like me. So I never practiced.-
    Wynton Marsalis

“I get asked this every once in awhile you know, how do you deal with fear? And all that stuff that most common you got a tough piece to play and I said, if that’s the way you are you don’t belong there.” – Bud Herseth

New Friend

I bought one on e-bay. Just six months later the number 2 valve hold down cap let go. Further inspection- very thin threads on the inside of the hold down cap (STRIPPED).

Now own a Bach 300.

Piano User

The valves are also likely to start sticking after a year or so. I don't know why; I'd guess they tend to leave foreign material in the horn that finds it way to the valves and ruins them. Either that, or they have poor nickel plate (or poor quality monel alloy).
    2006 Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS
    1987 Conn 100B "Doc Severinsen"
    1946 Conn 22B "New York Symphony"
    1927 Conn 6A

Fortissimo User

When I began my comeback attempt, I decided to investigate a number of issues related to trumpets. One of these was the issue of 'TSO's. I heard the horror stories about the cheap imports but no one could tell me exactly what the issues are. I found an ad for the Weimar on ebay and it, of course, claimed that the quality was better than other imports. In addition, they offered a money-back guarantee. So, I bought one. I paid $100 including shipping. When it arrived, I was pleasantly surprised. It seemed like a reasonable package for the price, including:
    (1) The appearance was very nice - good finish, nice balance, 3rd valve slide and 1st valve saddle, etc.
    (2) The 'package' was more than adequate. It came with a tarnish-retarding bag, white gloves, a decent 7C (clone) mouthpiece and a very nice case. In fact, I thought the case alone was worth the price.
    (3) The sound was more than adequate for a student trumpet. It actually sounded OK. I checked the intonation with a tuner and found it to be within acceptable limits across the entire range.

But, that is where the good new ended. Mechanically, here is what I found:
    (1) The slides did not have very good fit. In fact, saliva would drip out of the joint between the leadpipe and the tuning slide even though the slide did not feel particularly loose;
    (2) The 1st and 3rd slides did not operate easily, even with valve oil as the lubricant;
    (3) The braces and other structural factors seemed light-weight
    (4) The threads on the valve casings and caps exhibited very loose tolerances. They did not seem sturdy and they were difficult to put on without cross-threading.
    (5) The valve guides were the dual-tang style and while one tang was wider than the other, it was still possible to install the pistons 180 degrees off and still feel the 'click' (it seemed that the slots inside the casing were not cut very accurately);
    (6) The casings were not accurately made. In my case, the #1 piston would stick even with lots (or little) oil. I even tried slide grease. I could tell when I installed the piston that it had too little clearance as it would bind when going in. Finally, I coated the piston with a magic marker and pushed it in and then removed it (being careful not to rotate it). I could tell by the way the ink was removed due to interference that the casing was out of round (I tried swapping the pistons and the #1 casing was always the problem).

I tried the trumpet several times over a couple of weeks just to see if it would 'relax' and start working and I cleaned it several times to ensure that it was not just some foreign material in the casing. Nothing resolved the problem. So, in the end, I contacted the seller, gave him a copy of these issues, and he instructed me to return it. When I did, he promptly refunded my entire purchase price, including the shipping. He did offer to send me a replacement to see if it was better but I had seen what I was interested in. So, he was very fair and it did give me a chance to evaluate a Chinese trumpet first hand.

I can see that some Weimar trumpets could be just fine and be well worth the price but the manufacturing processes have too much inherent variation to be worth taking a chance unless you want to go through several to find the good one.

By the way, not all chinese models are TSO's. I have an Eastman which I was told is made in China and it is a very well-made trumpet with great sound and I like it a lot.

I hope this answers some questions.
    Last edited by ComeBackKid; 08-15-2009 at 04:47 AM.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

New Friend

Come Back Kid
    Great Info. hope it helps other potential buyers.I don't have the seller or manufactures address, so I can't even request another valve hold down cap. If I did have one I would bring the weinmar to the boat to at least practice breath control and note locations.NICE WHITE GLOVES THOUGH

Fortissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by 58tom View Post
    Come Back Kid
    Great Info. hope it helps other potential buyers.I don't have the seller or manufactures address, so I can't even request another valve hold down cap. If I did have one I would bring the weinmar to the boat to at least practice breath control and note locations.NICE WHITE GLOVES THOUGH
    I need to run out right now but when I return I will send you the name and address of the guy who imports these from China. I'm sure he has a garage full of returned ones and can send you the cap from one of them.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information