Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
Horns Discuss Why Aren't Sonare Trumpets More Poular? in the Equipment forums; I've been doing some looking recently at trumpets that are geared a bit more toward legit/classical playing, mostly because my ...

Why Aren't Sonare Trumpets More Poular?

I've been doing some looking recently at trumpets that are geared a bit more toward legit/classical playing, mostly because my gigging has shifted a bit, which has taken me into territory that isn't necessarily ideal for my Jupiter Roger Ingram 1600i. It's a wonderful trumpet for most of the gigging I Dow, but it's not as versatile as d hoped it would be.

This brings me to Sonare trumpets. Everything I have seen about them seems very positive:

Valve alignment
    Blackburn Leadpipe
    cryogenically treated
    plays and sounds a lot like a good Bach Strad ML/37.

Whats not to like, right? So why aren't they more popular?
    Dennis78 and True Tone like this.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Re: Why Aren't Sonare Trumpets More Poular?

The ones I have tried can not be compared to the 37's I have played. For me, the Sonare sounds a bit nasal and feels very tight. I know Lew Soloff had a custom tuning slide on his Sonare to make it more open – that would probably do something in the positive direction for me. But since you're happy with the Ingram maybe the tighter feel of the Sonare will be a very good match
    coolerdave likes this.
    Jon Petter
    www.facebook.com/jonpetter

Hub Van Laar B5
    CarolBrass Versatile
    Bach Stradivarius 43 (1978)
    Stomvi FLEX S14A VR J6

Amrein AFL 8511 V flugelhorn
    Amrein Titanium 7FL

Because it's not a Bach or Yamaha so band directors in highschool don't push them and the name never gets out. I read about lots of brands that sound great in writing. What does a Blackburn leadpipe have that others don't? (Not starting a leadpipe war I'm just curious) and isn't cryogenic when they super freeze the horn? And is the jury in or out on that one?
    They do seem like some fine horns though! Hey trickg are you getting N+1?
    True Tone likes this.
    The Cincinnati Brassband
    The Westside Community Band
    The Swinging Saints

I don't think I'm getting a case of GAS, I'm just trying to find a horn that is very versatile. For years I only really gigged one thing - rock band - with the occasional legit gig, so I made do with the one trumpet I had, my Schilke B6. These days I'm doing a lot more section work so something a little less bright could be a good thing.

Regarding the Leadpipe thing, I have yet to hear of an instance where a horn wasn't improved by the installation of a Blackburn designed pipe, and regarding cryogenic treatment, the jury may still be out, but anecdotally it seems to be an improvement as well.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

I actually really liked the Sonare 700s I played at NAMM a few years ago. It was much more resonant than the 800 or 900, and seemed like it would be a really good choice in a variety of styles.
    Dave Mickley and True Tone like this.
    Adams A1, satin gold lacquer, 0.55 (and it's twin in clear lacquer)
    Adams F2, gold brass bell 0.55
    Puje 3am
    Adams ACB Prologue
    Conn 112B
    NY Bach Mercury
    50's Calicchio
    Marcienkewicz Rembrandt flugel (for sale! Contact Trent Austin for details)
    Schilke P5-4
    Schilke C5L
    French Besson Classic C
    Yamaha 761 Eb/D
    Weril Regium Eb/D (for sale soon)
    vintage Benge pocket trumpet
    Austin Custom Brass mouthpieces

More news to come!

Forte User

With the endorsements of the late Lew Soloff and the amazing Amanda Pepping, Sonaré trumpets should have sold like crazy. My granddaughter has a TRC-800, and its tonal quality is simply beautiful. I tried it out before giving it to her, and if I could justify having yet another trumpet around here, I'd have bought another one. Regrettably, it appears their production run might have survived the move from Germany, but not the demise of Blessing. I'm pretty sure the last of the Sonaré trumpets has been built.
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

Forte User

In case you missed this on the other forum:

E.K. Blessing and Sonare USA Brass - View topic: Trumpet Herald forum
    Vintage Olds and Reynolds and Selmers, yes sir, yes sir, two gazoos full.

Aubertins, Bessons, Calicchios, Courtois, Wild Things, Marcinkiewicz, Ogilbee Thumpet, DeNicola Puje, Kanstuls, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I've been doing some looking recently at trumpets that are geared a bit more toward legit/classical playing, mostly because my gigging has shifted a bit, which has taken me into territory that isn't necessarily ideal for my Jupiter Roger Ingram 1600i. It's a wonderful trumpet for most of the gigging I Dow, but it's not as versatile as d hoped it would be.

This brings me to Sonare trumpets. Everything I have seen about them seems very positive:

Valve alignment
    Blackburn Leadpipe
    cryogenically treated
    plays and sounds a lot like a good Bach Strad ML/37.

Whats not to like, right?nso why aren't they more popular?
    Personally I find the 1600i very middle of the road and versatile. It does have a different palate of overtones than a 37 Bach but I've done a handful of section and legit gigs. It's also possibly my sound - I have a dark natural sound and so brighter gear always helps me sound like the trumpet doesn't have a pillow covering it! Last week I did a fanfare for some folks over from the Vatican who were commemorating a local church being open for 150 years. They brought it a big door. Anyway my sound blended great with the other trumpeter, but if I was on the lower part I'd swap to something slightly deeper. Which brings me to point 2 - this horn is quite backbore and depth sensitive so I know you are Warb gear, it would be cheaper to try some more stuff out.

Regarding the Sonaré horns : Bach and Yamaha dominates, It's just how it's been established but there's lots of great horns for the work you describe. I played the 802-rL in Josh Landress' shop and nearly bought it. It's like a great 37. A little easier to play and tune. Nicer overtones. I left it because it sounded a little too polite or something, I don't want to say beige but beige. I would love to own one because I reckon it would record and do legit section work so well.

p Mauriat are making some excellent horns as well. Worth the look. B&S also!!

of course a Yamaha or Bach can be you there too. The second hand market for those is better.

good luck!!
    mike
    True Tone likes this.
    Buble's "Feeling Good" shout chorus tpt section:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTwgA391zUE
    Sinatra's "More" shout chorus tpt section:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br5GSqB1dVA

I have auditioned two from the Sonare line. Good horns, but don't play any better than a good Bach and the two I tried were rather tight. Nice sound though.
    Patrick, if you want versatile, try the Schilke HD series. Outstanding Schilke ease of play and intonation with a more opaque "Bachish" character.
    These models are becoming more popular with the orchestral players. They don't just buy anything unless it gives them what they need.
    You could also call Charlie Melk. His horns are just fabulous. Fred Powell is another word of mouth maker who is an exceptional player and builder.
    Rich T.
    tobylou8 and True Tone like this.

+1 on Fred Powell. Underrated maker imo.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information