Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Horns Discuss Yamaha YTR-4335G or Yamaha YTR-2320 in the Equipment forums; You guys have helped me finding the right books and you all did a great job! Now its time to ...
    New Friend

Yamaha YTR-4335G or Yamaha YTR-2320

You guys have helped me finding the right books and you all did a great job! Now its time to help the swede finding a nice trumpet.

I have checked with my local trumpet shop, and I found 2 trumpets that were in the right price range. They are secondhand trumpets but none them have any dings and they have all been looked over by the trumpet repair-guy.

The YTR-2320 costs about 420$ and the YTR-4335G 680$. The YTR-4900 looks like its totally new. I took it apart and it looks really "fresh" inside. No "rust" or anyting. The brass on the YTR-2320 looks abit "foggy" if you understand what I mean. But I guess thats what usually happens to old instruments.

Any suggestions and pointers on what I should look at next time im at the shop.

Thank you fellow trumpeters (feels nice to be able to say that. )

/Leonin

New Friend

Re: Yamaha YTR-4335G or Yamaha YTR-2320

I just found ut that they have a Bach TR300L (I cant find it on Welcome to BachBrass.com so I guess its an old trumpet) too at the same price as the Yamaha YTR-2320. I have no idea in what condition it is but I might as well ask you if its a good instrument or not.
    Last edited by Leonin; 08-10-2007 at 12:03 PM.
    Dennis78 likes this.

Leo, did you notice much a difference when you played them? And, if you have a trumpet buddy whose playing you really admire, ask if there's time to help you check out a couple of horns.

2 sets of lips, ears, eyes, etc better than 1 :)

New Friend

The sad thing is that I dont know anyone who plays the trumpet. I've been lurking around in the world of fusion to long and lost all my trumpet playing friends that I got to know when I studied music. Wish I was buying a saxophone instead, I know tons of saxophone players, have no idea why....
    Dennis78 likes this.

Forte User

Do not be shy about asking one of your saxaphone playing friends to go with you to just listen to you play the various trumpets that you have found. Remember, they are trained musicians too, and, have trained ears to differentiate the good from the bad as you play.

In my humble opinion, the 2335 is very nearly as good as the much higher priced 4xxx series Yamaha. Those horns were made right here in my home town, Grand Rapids, Michiga, U.S.A. and those that made them have stated to me many times that the 4xxx series are actually just a very slight upgrade on the 2xxx series, but, at a MUCH HIGHER price level. I own one of the infamous ,( for their valves which respond differently to each user ),model 232. I find it to be far superior to my Bach TR300, but, you decide after playing all of the above.

OLDLOU>>
    den2042 likes this.
    Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Pianissimo User

You can buy yamahas in Grand Rapids?

I didn't know that. I thought if I wanted a new yamaha I would've had to go to South Bend.

If I would've known I could have gotten a new yamaha here I probably would not have gotten my bach.
    "Oy with the poodles already!"-Loreli Gilmore, Gilmore Girls

Bach Stradivarius Bb 43
    Bach 5C

New Friend

I guess I will have to order the poor salesman to play through all of the trumpets that they have and bring my drummer friend who is a huge jazz fan.

Maybe I should ask you all this instead. What trumpet brands/version are good beginner instruments that I wont "grow out" from. I really don't want to buy a new trumpet every year just because I bought a good beginner trumpet that well....just were for beginners. (I have done that to many times before with other instruments that I have learned to play)

Leo,

A good student horn, you will never out grow. That is, should you improve to the point of being VERY good, no one worth their salt will say, "Wow, he's good. Pity he plays a Getzen 390.

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by richardwy View Post
    Leo,
    A good student horn, you will never out grow. That is, should you improve to the point of being VERY good, no one worth their salt will say, "Wow, he's good. Pity he plays a Getzen 390.
    Well I guess its the same thing with trumpets like with all other instruments. Some or more fun to play, have a better tone, better quality.

I bet if you gave Pat Metheny a cardboardbox guitar he would make it sound well not lovely but close. Thats what defines a good musician imho. The ability to sound really beautiful on a crappy instrument.
    But as a beginner you don't have "IT", which is really great imo. It would be way to boring to learn a new instrument otherwise.
    As always my mad rambling makes me loose control, what I was trying to say here is that; the long road to be good at an instrument is much more fun to walk on if you have a good sounding/working instrument to practice on.
    Last edited by Leonin; 08-10-2007 at 04:38 PM.

You're right. Much more fun with a good sounding instrument.

I've found some student trumpets sound good. Good ones do.

I own some really nice horns, better sounding than I play them.

I don't think its the same with wood instruments. Too easy for inferior materials to make a more dramatic difference than with good student brass instruments. They might be made of heavier gauge brass (I guess?), and they don't generally project as well as the top ones.

But as to the quality of the yellow brass in a Getzen student horn compared to an Eterna or better, I don't know that brass in the pricey horn is superior per se. Might be. I simply do not know. Someone on TM will though.

From one point of view, it's amazing how good the good student horns are. The differences an audience might hear are subtle between the student horns and pro horns.

On my end, I detect quite a bit of difference. Is it so? I'm hoping it is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information