Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By operagost
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss 1916 York Perfectone HP/LP slides in the Equipment forums; I really wish OldLou were still around... I just won a Perfectone cornet. I haven't taken any pics yet; these ...

1916 York Perfectone HP/LP slides

I really wish OldLou were still around...

I just won a Perfectone cornet. I haven't taken any pics yet; these are from the auction:
    s-l1600.jpgs-l1600a.jpg
    In pic 2, you can see the grungy second tuning slide. It's longer than the one installed, and is stamped "LP". I presume this means that the high pitch slide is installed. I'm wondering if this horn only came with a replacement tuning slide for HP/LP, which would be great. FWIW, I played with a tuner and even in this config it mostly plays a little flat. The tuning slide is stuck, so, can't really fix that right now. Meanwhile, the quick change to A slide is pulled out about an inch, so my guess is a previous owner used the HP slide because it was in better condition, and pulled out that A slide to compensate. Considering that said person was goofy enough to install said slide UPSIDE DOWN, it seems plausible.

Anyway, I'm hoping that once I get all the slides pulled, that it will play in perfect tune with just the LP slide installed.

Oh, BTW, those nasty looking bronze, unplated pistons actually worked nicely just being oiled and wiped down with Blue Juice... because it was on my shelf at the moment.
    Nerf and True Tone like this.
    2006 Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS
    1987 Conn 100B "Doc Severinsen"
    1946 Conn 22B "New York Symphony"
    1927 Conn 6A cornet
    1913 Conn New Invention "Circus Bore" cornet
    Couesnon Monopole flugelhorn

New Friend

Re: 1916 York Perfectone HP/LP slides

Nice Cornet-I found one a couple years ago for $100. I cleaned it, polished the bead blast silver, and it truly looked new. Even the gold wash in the bell was vibrant.

The low pitch slide is the one you will want to play with if you can ever get it out. Bands in the US used to tune to roughly A457 instead of the modern A440, and instruments around the period of yours included both sets of slides to make them more versatile between ensembles tuning to both standards.

With the HP slide in, I can't imagine an instance where the horn would play flat unless there was a major leak somewhere, like a crack you haven't found or leaky pistons. Blue juice is pretty thin, as an initial trouble shooting mechanism my I suggest finding a friendly french horn player who would donate a few drops of rotary oil for your pistons? If it plays more in tune, the valves leak. You can get by in the future with rotary oil if this is the case, but you will probably eventually want to have the valves refit. If this doesn't make some kind of difference, we may be looking at a hidden crack somewhere. Cracks can be patched or brazed, although at a cost.

You can also get the stuck slides out with PB Blaster. Spray some in a disposable container, carefully apply it to the stuck slides, and let the horn rest in a position where gravity lets the oil flow in to the affected slides. it will be a process of a few days, but beyond that you will want to visit an instrument repairman.

Quote Originally Posted by C.E.Divine View Post
    Nice Cornet-I found one a couple years ago for $100. I cleaned it, polished the bead blast silver, and it truly looked new. Even the gold wash in the bell was vibrant.

The low pitch slide is the one you will want to play with if you can ever get it out. Bands in the US used to tune to roughly A457 instead of the modern A440, and instruments around the period of yours included both sets of slides to make them more versatile between ensembles tuning to both standards.

With the HP slide in, I can't imagine an instance where the horn would play flat unless there was a major leak somewhere, like a crack you haven't found or leaky pistons. Blue juice is pretty thin, as an initial trouble shooting mechanism my I suggest finding a friendly french horn player who would donate a few drops of rotary oil for your pistons? If it plays more in tune, the valves leak. You can get by in the future with rotary oil if this is the case, but you will probably eventually want to have the valves refit. If this doesn't make some kind of difference, we may be looking at a hidden crack somewhere. Cracks can be patched or brazed, although at a cost.

You can also get the stuck slides out with PB Blaster. Spray some in a disposable container, carefully apply it to the stuck slides, and let the horn rest in a position where gravity lets the oil flow in to the affected slides. it will be a process of a few days, but beyond that you will want to visit an instrument repairman.
    But not in a styrofoam cup!! PB melts them.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by veery715 View Post
    But not in a styrofoam cup!! PB melts them.
    Yes, I didn't think to mention that. Red solo cups work well. Or old Tupperware your wife keeps telling you to get rid of.

I got this one for $50, which included the original case, so I'm pretty pleased with the deal.

I'm using liquid wrench currently. Might try PB blaster this time, if the LW doesn't work, as I'm trying to do as much of the work myself as possible. If it doesn't come out with a soak in penetrating oil and a pull with a shop cloth in the bend, it goes to the tech.

The LP slide really does look hideous for some reason. There's no silver left on the right side, which doesn't really reflect how the silver looks on the rest of the instrument. I wonder if the horn, save that slide, received a replating at some point.
    2006 Yamaha Xeno 8335RGS
    1987 Conn 100B "Doc Severinsen"
    1946 Conn 22B "New York Symphony"
    1927 Conn 6A cornet
    1913 Conn New Invention "Circus Bore" cornet
    Couesnon Monopole flugelhorn

Thread Information