Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss 1967 Olds Mendez in the Equipment forums; I'm thinking of partiing with my 1967 Olds Mendez (SN 684XXX), and I'm trying to get some idea of what ...
    New Friend

1967 Olds Mendez

I'm thinking of partiing with my 1967 Olds Mendez (SN 684XXX), and I'm trying to get some idea of what it might be worth.

It's seen a lot of use and unfortunately has some minor dents and would likely need some repairs as a result to get it into top shape. I'm sure I won't get anywhere near top dollar for it as a result. The valves and slides all function properly and it's definitely playable, though.

I've seen a 1960 Mendez on eBay with a starting price of $850, but I haven't seen anything else yet.

Any thoughts or expertise would be welcome.

Pianissimo User

Re: 1967 Olds Mendez

Just had a look on e-bay at completed listings and there were a few mendez horns in 'good' - 'excellent' condition (no major dents or dings, good laquer etc) were listed for approx $800 - $900 ... and ... did not sell ...

One in good condition sold for $900 ...

The web link is

http://completed.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.h..._ipg=50&_rdc=1

Would it be worth repairing (depending on cost)?
    Olds Mendez (1957)
    15B Conn Director (1966)

www.back2soulonline.co.uk

'There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another.' - Frank Zappa

'Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.' - Nietzsche

'Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.' - Robert Fripp

New Friend

It should be worth repairing, yes. I used it for several years myself in school, and most of the wear and tear it has was from long before that, and it still maintained good sound quality throughout my time with it. It would need to be re-laquered and have the minor dents worked out, but it still plays well.

Pianissimo User

I think what I meant was, is it worth you having it 'repaired' then selling?

Or maybe just have any dents taking out? From what I'm learning I think some people are not keen on having vintage horns re-laquered (DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS, I'M A NOVICE ON THE SUBJECT!) so maybe just get dents sorted and leave the laquer as is - then well?

If you're definitely selling as is, then why not post some pictures and i'm sure people will have a good look with possible 'quotes'

This is my 1957 Mendez (in immaculate condition) that I bought for approx $1000 ... others may not have paid as much as that but obviously absolutely no work required on it ...

P.S. Another snipet of information which could be useful. According to Olds central website rouses.net/trumpet/olds.htm the average price paid on e-bay (in 2006) for a mendez was $1047, top price = $1300 and lowest price = $876
    Olds Mendez (1957)
    15B Conn Director (1966)

'There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another.' - Frank Zappa

New Friend

Ah, I see what you meant. It's possible I could have it repaired first. Right now, the horn is actually not in my possession (it's in storage--safely--at my parents home out of state). I have someone interested in purchasing it as is, but neither of us is really an expert on this sort of thing, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I can try to arrive at a good price.

I'll see if I can't arrange to have my father take some shots of it.

Pianissimo User

OK, cool. The e-bay guide below the pic (above) can give you a good start ...
    Olds Mendez (1957)
    15B Conn Director (1966)

New Friend

I sold mine and have regretted it ever since. I would love a chance to buy another can you contact me directly?

(Above/left) Alexanders ragtime band-circa 1960

Chalmers Big and Tall midwest sales district credit card division

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.
    Mark Twain
    "Strive to have enemies that define you"

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by loskers View Post
    I sold mine and have regretted it ever since. I would love a chance to buy another can you contact me directly?
    Sure, I can send a message.

New Friend

I finally was able to get some pictures of the Mendez here. Time hasn't been kind to the old girl since I last had my hands on it, but here she is.

Last edited by kcmorris84; 11-16-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Fixing images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information