Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss 1971 Conn Trumpet, Which model do I have? in the Equipment forums; I recently purchased a silver laquered, 1971 Conn trumpet. I can not figure out which model it is. It is ...
    New Friend

1971 Conn Trumpet, Which model do I have?

I recently purchased a silver laquered, 1971 Conn trumpet. I can not figure out which model it is. It is all silver laquer, has a 1971 serial number, has "Japan" stamped on second valve. The thing that stumps me is that there is no other markings anywhere on the horn, other then the Conn marching band stencil with shooting stars, and the bell is 4 5/8" across, and it also has the first slide trigger. The closest horn that I see to this is the 36b Connstellation, but my horn is all silver laquer, not gold, or gold and silver mix. Help if you can, my head is spinning.

Re: 1971 Conn Trumpet, Which model do I have?

Sometimes the model numbers on the lead pipe are small and hard to see but I have found these on the bottom of the receiver sometimes. It might be a short model Director. Those were made in Japan in 1971.

plp
    Pianissimo User

Lots of strange stuff came out of the Yamaha/Schilke/Conn effort in 1971, some of it not very well documented. What is known is Yamaha was contracted by the new owners of Conn to produce their student line trumpets and cornets under the Conn label. At the same time, Yamaha was producing their own horns under the Yamaha brand, many designed in conjunction with Renold Schilke, who was producing his own line of instruments.

There was a lot of cross pollination in design, especially in the trumpet line. I had both a Yamaha 231 and Conn Director at one time, and the only difference was the rose brass leadpipe on the Yamaha. Same bore, same nickel receivers on the valve slides, same single brace in the tuning slide. Valve tops and bottoms were different threads and different design. The 231 was a later produced model, don't remember for certain but think it was a mid 1970's trumpet, produced after 1971.

I also saw a nickel plated Victor trumpet (stamped on the leadpipe receiver) from 1971 with a trigger, and have had three identical nickel cornets with triggers with no gold trim.

One was not stamped, one was stamped Director, and one was stamped Victor, yet all three were the same design.

I no longer have any of the YamaConns, as while there was nothing wrong with any of them, they just didn't have anything about the sound that set them apart like most of my old Conn cornets.
    ConnDirectorFan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Silversorcerer View Post
    Sometimes the model numbers on the lead pipe are small and hard to see but I have found these on the bottom of the receiver sometimes. It might be a short model Director. Those were made in Japan in 1971.
    They also made an underslung tuning slide cornet over there also in '71. They turn up quite often on ebay and elsewhere.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

New Friend

I've looked the entire horn over with a glass, nothing other then Japan, and the serial number P 84526. No marks on the lead pipe either. I thought the small bell width (4 5/8"+), the horn length (19 1/4), and the first vavle trigger would give someone a clue as to what this Conn horn is. The closest I came to identifying it was a 1971 36b Connstellation, but Connstellations appear to always be a silver and gold mix. My horn is all laquered silver (nickle). Any ideas? Anyone? I have tried to attach pictures with no luck. I'll keep trying.

You can attach photos only from an off-site like photobucket or flickr., etc.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

New Friend

Ok, here is the picture of the trumpet I am trying to identify on Flickr. Hope this works.
    Flickr: carlozzy's Photostream

Fortissimo User

This is the first time I have heard of a nickel/lacquered Conn trumpet. I wonder if they were trying to compete with the Olds Studio which was also nickel/lacquer that year (they changed it from the "tri-color" configuration). The Studio also has a 1st v trigger, a 3rd v adjustable slide, standard water keys (not the usual Olds trombone-style keys). Very curious...
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

New Friend

So you see what my curiosity is all about. I don't know what to call this Conn. A 36 Connstellation with laquered nickle maybe?? The other names that comes up is Victor, but it really doesn't fit into either of those catagories either. I need to measure bore size, although I don't know how much that will help. Do you think it is a begginner, intermediate, or pro-horn? I think it's an intermediate, but can't say for sure.

You might examine the valves for more #s Also, measuring the ID of the second valve slide - pull it and measure in the slide - might be helpful.
    It could be anything, including a nickel 10B, a 22B, or a 60B, or a Connie. Trigger and finish doesn't really mean anything as far as what it is.

Looks nice. How does it play?
    Last edited by veery715; 07-17-2010 at 11:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information