Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Antoine Courtois Bb trumpet in the Equipment forums; Can anyone lead to a web site about Antoine Courtois Bb trumpets I am looking for prices and history about ...

Antoine Courtois Bb trumpet

Can anyone lead to a web site about Antoine Courtois Bb trumpets
    I am looking for prices and history about them I am interested in one with a serial number stated 4548. Has any one got one or has played an older one
    cheers Chenzo

New Friend

Re: Antoine Courtois Bb trumpet

I am looking as well
    I have a Brevete' serial # 6543 @1920-1930

Looking for some specs on the horn

Even Horn-u-copia doesn't seem to have much info,
    if you want an exact date or specs, you might send the company an email and they might be able to help you
    Bb: Courtois 305 "Elite", Holton Al Hirt Special (~1966), Benge 3x with Upturned bell (1973)
    C: Bach C180-239 (Akwright conversion),
    Cornet: Conn Wonder (1900)
    Picc: Selmer Paris, ~1971

New Friend

i contacted Courtois and they have no info.

Go figure!!

I just purchased a Courtois on eBay for $141.00 (shipping included). It had some stuck slides and some pistons that needed reassembling, and the valves were frozen. Additionally, there is a dent on the inside of the backbow and a place where the bell needs smoothing where the lower brace meets the bell. I freed the valves and they now work flawlessly. Mine is a 4 # serial, 62**, and it has Courtois engraving, plus the Leblanc importer name added on the bell. This horn is a real sweetheart of a player. It's ugly as sin, but it has a core that warms my heart when I play it. I will need to spend some money to get the dents removed and the tarnish off (I like raw brass), but for the money I was very lucky. I can recommend this model enthusiastically. In the past I owned a Herriot style Leblanc 737(?) and it played well but had intonation issues and a less defined center. It was a good horn, but it couldn't hold acandle to this older one. I recommend these older Courtois "balanced" model trumpets. They are sweet.

New Friend

I have a Courtois Bflat trumpet, marked L5557, which I got from Schilke in 1956. I had it stripped several years ago. It has the Courtois engraving on the bell, which is a typical french long-seam hammered bell. Still my favorite horn, and I play it frequently.

I have a Paris made Leblanc that was my Grandfather's made in 1962. All the Leblanc Trumpets at the time were made by Courtois. It's a really lightweight horn with fantastic response and a nice zingy sound. It's really great for jazz. At least that was what Papa and dad used it for.
    Quote Originally Posted by anewhall View Post
    I have a Courtois Bflat trumpet, marked L5557, which I got from Schilke in 1956. I had it stripped several years ago. It has the Courtois engraving on the bell, which is a typical french long-seam hammered bell. Still my favorite horn, and I play it frequently.
    Evan Davis
    1962 Leblanc Paris
    '58 Olds Recording

Piano User

The Courtois Phantom - anodized gunmetal gray - .463 bore - advertised as the most expensive trumpet made - back in the day.

Cheers,

Brian
    "Swift Current - where we're neither swift nor current"

Pianissimo User

The Cornet Compendium site has a good bit on the history including the "Antoine Courtois" era, but no catalogs or prices:
    Manufacturers C

"One of the sons of the founder, Antoine Courtois (1770-1855) created what is known today as Antoine Courtois, Paris in [c1803]. He had a shop on the Rue du Caire and created many instruments for the players of the Paris Opera Orchestra and the French Army, his main customer."
    Karl likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information