Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss BBM buys a piccolo trumpet in the Equipment forums; Great news everybody! The Chinese or Indian Dark side horns did not pull me in this time! I bought a ...

BBM buys a piccolo trumpet

Great news everybody! The Chinese or Indian Dark side horns did not pull me in this time!

I bought a vintage Couesnon Monopole Piccolo Trumpet! (Triebert Moderne, export name for Couesnon said by multiple trumpeters and Steve Dillard). Its a Triebert Moderne, 42071, Made in France, piccolo trumpet. I have high hopes for this trumpet and hope to learn about piccolo trumpets.

Steve Dillard said he used it in his high school years and used it in a musical production. I got it for around 400 US dollars including shipping, probably because it wasn't named Couesnon. It has a 3rd slide ring, the valves are in very immaculate condition. On the bell is a hideous badly scratched? like engraving of 'School District #91', by search I think it was used in the British Columbian region school. I will contact the seller for more info. It comes with one tuning bit and its original hard-case.

I am pretty proud of this win but can anyone recommend me an ideal mouthpiece to go with this horn? I may ask Blackburn or Charlie Melk to do a custom leadpipe for this, or James Becker of Osmun Music (he said he was happy to do it in an old TH thread). I know amzi here has one.

It doesn't seem to be a loveable or tameable beast but Maurice Andre was surprised by its tone colour and projection. The famous Penny Lane solo was done on this very same model by David Mason.

I am very happy and look forward for its arrival.

Attention:
    Constant N+1 & N-1 in progress!

B&S Challenger I 3137
    Couesnon 'Triebert Moderne' Monopole Piccolo
    Hermann Ganter G7aN
    Arno Windisch 'Silber-Deluxe'
    Conn 28A 'Connstellation'

This message was created using 100% recycled electrons.

Re: BBM buys a piccolo trumpet

I had one, (Couesnon) but I sold it and replaced it with a Kanstul. Hard choice to make and sometimes I still regret doing it, but I was playing music I really needed a 4th valve on. I had both tuning bits and found it played better in A. I also found the horn really easy to overblow so take it easy. When everything was right it was a real joy to play and could sound really sweet. Though I am making a change now, at that time I was playing everything on a Schilke with a 13A4 rim. I used both A and C cup depths depending on how long I was going to have to stay above high "C". Great horn, just stay in the 3 valve range and you'll be fine.
    Recording Olds Trumpet (64)
    Bb MLV Strad (69) ML 37 Strad (67?) C ML Strad 236 (65)
    Couesnon Flugelhorn
    Bach Strad Bass Trumpet
    Holton T171 Alto Trumpet
    Kanstul 920 Piccolo Trumpet
    Yamaha 6610S Eb/D Trumpet
    Martin Manga Cornet (67)

Very nice horn - and quite the find at that price given the condition described.

Given what you say in your last paragraph, why would you already be planning to modify such a horn? If what you are getting is capable of such tone quality, it makes no sense to tinker and change that. We alter horns when they are not meeting our needs and we can quantify why and how to correct that. You have not even played it yet. Wait until you have the horn, and have spent several weeks getting to know one another - only then can you reasonably asses if you want to, or should, alter a horn in some way.

As for MP, your life as a multi-instrumentalist will be easier if you don't add more complexity to the mix, so staying in the same maker as what you use for trumpet and cornet will help you. Some folks use the same rim with different cups across all their horns, others will go smaller on pic. You, and your teacher, should experiment a bit and see what appears to work best. Remember, we're all unique.
    BrassBandMajor and True Tone like this.
    Trumpet: 1961 Mt. Vernon Bach 43, 2000 Xeno 8335RGS, 1927 Conn 22B NYS
    Euphonium: 1965 Besson baritone, 1975 Yamaha YEP-321, 1985 YEP-621
    Trombone: 1975 Olds Recording R-20
    MP: Schilke 17d4d & 53

www.trumpet-history.com

Thanks for the tip OldSchoolEuph. You are correct about that.
    Attention:
    Constant N+1 & N-1 in progress!

B&S Challenger I 3137
    Couesnon 'Triebert Moderne' Monopole Piccolo
    Hermann Ganter G7aN
    Arno Windisch 'Silber-Deluxe'
    Conn 28A 'Connstellation'

This message was created using 100% recycled electrons.

Oh dear... you seem to be going in the deep end. Marvellous that instrument surely is (and at that price, too!), it is certain to throw you into deep despair at the beginning. Any picc will do that, because, as another picc starter who recently bought a new Bach Artisan picc so accurately put it, you will at first sound "like a dying flamingo". Beginners' piccs like the student model Yammies try and atone for that in their construction; but not that Couesnon/Triebert. In many parts you will find the lack of a fourth valve very annoying... yet if you persevere, it will finally bring you amazing results.

As to mouthpiece: Don't go for anything fancy (and expensive) at the beginning. You will have to change around until you find your ideal combination, and that will take even longer than on the big Bb. It took me all of four years and altogether six mouthpieces to realize I was - again - best off with the Stomvi Combination System... Advantage - same rim as usual, and I can change the cup to wherever I please. So I should suggest that you don't fiddle with rim size and get yourself a cheap clone mouthpiece of the same rim shape as your usual workhorse mpc, but with the shallowest cup they can offer. So, if you're playing a Bach 3c, get yourself a 3E,. but not from Bach, but from Stoelzel (their mpcs are good Bach clones at a quarter the price).

Pianissimo User

Nice acquirement! Why would you be suggesting a ($$$) leadpipe change before you have even played it? Wouldn't the trumpet already come with an optimised leadpipe?
    Trumpets
    B&S Challenger II, 3143/2-S
    Carolbrass 5000L-YLT-P
    Carolbrass pocket trumpet
    Flugelhorn
    Cerveny 803PX (rotary)

BBM I feel sorry for you You'll become one of those piccolo freaks with no low register chops Personally I never played a Cuesnon picc. I remember I very much liked a French Besson picc I had on loan from Spada for some time. To me it was much nicer than any Schilke I tried.

Good luck with this new endeavour. Don't neglect the big horns As mentioned, first have a taste of the little evil horn just as is, so you may know what to change, if anything.
    Kang-Ling and True Tone like this.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

I might be the Daisy Downer here, but this is not an easy instrument to learn on. I learned on a Yamaha and Schilke, and it was still tough. Most pros would agree that these Couesons are downright tough to play. Better than a Chinese horn for sure, but not easy at all.
    barliman2001 and True Tone like this.
    Bb - 2013 Bill Pfund, 1970 Selmer Radial
    C - 2012 Bach 229/25H
    Picc - B&S Scherzer 8111
    Cornet - Getzen Eterna Bb
    Mouthpieces: Copy of Bach Mt. Vernon 2C w/24 throat, 24 backbore; Pickett 8B top #1/27 bottom; Parduba #5

Do you know for sure if it has a trumpet MP taper or cornet?

And, oh yes, you are in for an experience!!
    barliman2001 likes this.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

I never liked playing pic - it's just one of those things that takes some time to get used to, and I was never good at switching back and forth between it and Bb. Mine was a Besson short model pic, and it wasn't a bad pic either - I bought it from Bob Birch, and he'd had it for a while, so if it was good enough for Bob, then it was probably pretty solid. (He sold it to me because he'd gotten a Scherzer rotary valve pic that he preferred.) Typical of many people first trying to learn to play pic, I tended to over-blow it.

BBM, I hope you wind up getting some good use out of that trumpet. Looking back, I'm not sure if I ever performed even once using mine in the time I had it.

Keep us posted on how it's working out for you.
    True Tone likes this.
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information