Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Buffet American Trumpet in the Equipment forums; I got a Buffet American trumpet a while back with dual triggers and a serial code-683408 Its a .470 bore ...
    New Friend

Buffet American Trumpet

I got a Buffet American trumpet a while back with dual triggers and a serial code-683408 Its a .470 bore and has a really nice free blowing sound
    If anyone knows anything about the horn, id like to hear it.
    I also have a 1950 NY Bach Cornet sn-10805 that i know noting about. it was redone in a dark amber epoxy, ML. It has flat slide braces that I've never seen on a NY.Any thoughts would help.

Re: Buffet American Trumpet

I seem to recall reading somewhere those horns were made in Germany (Yeah, I know, it says American on it).

New Friend

That's weird. I figured the buffet name wasn't an American name, but Germany seems more likely. Thanks for the response :)

It's actually Buffet Crampon, and it's a French company. But they've had a history of having horns made in Germany.

You might search TM and trumpetherald for more info, because I'm almost certain it's been discussed before.

---------------------------

Aha! This refers to a cornet, but it certainly must apply to the trumpet also.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140...net-20156.html (Buffet American Model Cornet)
    Last edited by tyleman; 01-25-2013 at 02:20 AM.

New Friend

I own a Buffet horn also, and know a bit of their history. There are two versions. Some were made in France and were, I am told by a knowledgable source, actually made by Buffet Crampon. These have a P stamped on them. Later horns were made in Germany, most likely by Wilhelm Monke. These horns will have made in Germany stamped on them. Both are great sounding horns, but of the two the French made horns are the best sounding and most well made. Mine is French made and the sound is wonderfully complex, dark and unique. I can't think of another horn i would compare its sound to. IMHO, they may be one of the best kept secrets in the trumpet world.

Pianissimo User

I have an "American" that was made in Germany - it has "Germany" stamped on the receiver. I also have one (early 1960s) that Zig Kanstul assured me was made in Paris by Buffet Crampon. Good luck finding out much more than that - they had a factory fire and all of their records are gone. In researching these horns I've noticed some Selmer characteristics in the older ones . . . but that doesn't mean Selmer was, necessarily, involved. There are some similarities in some of the Rudy Muck instruments from the late 40s and 50s . . . but, again, that doesn't necessarily mean Rudy Muck had any affiliation either. I got my first one in 1968 and it was stolen in 2002. Trying to replace it started me on a search that resulted in a collection that includes some pretty nice plumbing and, in the process, I found a replacement for the stolen one and two others (as described). If yours is what I think it is I've seen them selling in online quality stores for between $695 and $1000. There's one on Horn-U-Copia that might look familiar. These are well made instruments with the exception of the tuning mechanisms (1st and 3rd valve) which seem to me to have been an after thought and are not crafted with the same care as the rest of the instrument. I hope this is useful feedback. Enjoy your horn.

Thread Information