Vintage Trumpets / Cornets Discuss Bundy in the Equipment forums; Hello. I have what appears to be a older Cornet. It is a Bundy. It has Bundy H&A Selmer Inc. ...
    New Friend

Bundy

Hello. I have what appears to be a older Cornet. It is a Bundy. It has Bundy H&A Selmer Inc. Elkhart Ind. engraved radialy or around the diameter of funnel end of the horn, I think it's refered to as the Ball? The serial number is 39659. It is a piston type and not rotary. I'm tring to find out when it was made and what it may be worth or should it just be displayed and looked at because it looks cool? I treid tracking the number but had no success. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Bundy

As you've already discovered, it's difficult to determine the year of a Bundy by the serial number. Nobody seems to have a serial number list that's considered to be truly authoritative

A Bundy cornet is not especially valuable nor highly sought after. It is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. In the US, a like-new Bundy cornet may sell for $150-$200. An average-condition horn may go for between $25-$100.

A Bundy cornet in good playing condition is a good horn to get started with. Forget about the modest monetary value of your Bundy--instead, take this opportunity enrich your life and have some fun by learning to play it!

Cheers,
    Ursa
    Ursa's collection...
    TRUMPETS: Holton Type II Super Collegiate, King Silver Flair (pre-UMI)
    CORNETS: Olds Ambassador; Blessing XL-CR; Holton Collegiate
    LOW BRASS: Conn 6E New Wonder Eb Alto Horn; Conn 4D Artist F/Eb "French" Horn; Yamaha YEP-321S Euphonium; Indiana Band Instrument Co. EEb Sousaphone; Holton 6/4 EEb Tuba

New Friend

I can't play it but it's nice to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by gcaster View Post
    I can't play it but it's nice to look at.
    Nothing wrong with that, either. In fact, I have a worn-out cornet in my living room on display. It's a great conversation starter!

Those little folding racks intended for displaying collector plates also work nicely for showing off trumpets and cornets.
    Ursa's collection...
    LOW BRASS: Conn 6E New Wonder Eb Alto Horn; Conn 4D Artist F/Eb "French" Horn; Yamaha YEP-321S Euphonium; Indiana Band Instrument Co. EEb Sousaphone; Holton 6/4 EEb Tuba

An H & A Selmer Bundy is likely a cornet built by George Bundy, after he took over the Selmer US operation in the late 20's. Selmer Musical Instruments :: A Division of Conn-Selmer, Inc. Here is info on Bundy as interpreted by Conn-Selmer.

When the plant moved to Elkart in 27, under Bundy and Carl Greenleaf (owner of Conn) they started making brass instruments under the Bundy, Manhattan, Selmer USA , Freetone, Marcel, Raymond and Signet.

I have seen a number of H & A Bundy cornets on ebay or Shopgoodwill and wouldn't mind having one. My opinion is that they are not the same instrument that was marketed much later as being designed by Vincent Bach. I don't know the dates of the H & A Bundys, but would guess the 30's, before WWII..
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    ???? Elkhart Band Instrument Cornet (ELK)
    www.KalamazooconcertBand.org
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    www.PSCB.Soull.com
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

The early Bundys with the floral engraving on the bell are quite attractive, in my book. I wouldn't mind having one, either.
    Ursa's collection...

Piano User

The earlier HA Selmer/Bundy horns are totally different than the much later Bundy-Designed by Bach horns. The later were student level horns and had a reputation of spotty quality. The former were high quality horns of Intermediate Level. Although they were not the same quality or level of play as a Selmer K-Modified trumpet they were very good horns and can now be had for a reasonable price for those wanting to play a vintage horn without selling your first born to do it. It sounds like you have one of the earlier horns. It would be a good horn to learn on or to keep as a vintage conversation starter. Enjoy it.
    Rob,
    King Liberty SilverTone (3)
    King Liberty (7) Super 20 (2)
    Conn Vocabell 40A - 40B - 80A (6) - 81A (1) - 38A Victor (2) - 22B - 16B, 12B Coprion bell
    Getzen Tone Balanced Super Deluxe
    Holton French LeBlanc (1) - Al Hirt 550
    Olds Studio (1) - Special (1)
    Besson 10-10

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
    The earlier HA Selmer/Bundy horns are totally different than the much later Bundy-Designed by Bach horns. The later were student level horns and had a reputation of spotty quality. The former were high quality horns of Intermediate Level. Although they were not the same quality or level of play as a Selmer K-Modified trumpet they were very good horns and can now be had for a reasonable price for those wanting to play a vintage horn without selling your first born to do it. It sounds like you have one of the earlier horns. It would be a good horn to learn on or to keep as a vintage conversation starter. Enjoy it.
    Agreed...the early Bundys are often overlooked, as are the early Selmer Signet models.
    Ursa's collection...

Thread Information